2014 Audi A5 Consumer Review: I'm impressed so far

2014 Audi A5 - Consumer Review

I'm impressed so far
By marvopolis on

2014 Audi A5 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my Audi A5 two weeks ago. I also considered a BMW 135, but I live in Canada so AWD is important in the winter. I also wanted a spare tire just in case (BMWs have run flats). First impressions are excellent. We had our first major snow of the season yesterday and the Quattro is impressive. I tried it in an icy parking lot where hockey skates would have been a good idea and the Quattro was very effective. The engine note is not as sweet as the S5, but I went for the better fuel economy. So far, fuel economy is not what I was expecting, but perhaps the engine needs breaking in.

Beautiful 19" wheels Beautiful style inside and out Turbo 4 cyl engine is powerful but fuel efficient Excellent handling Quattro AWD Good sized trunk Keyless entry and push button start (key stays in my pocket) Comfortable Good visibility: the pillars have no blind spots for me Nice sound system Heated seats are much better than my previous car (Jaguar) Spare tire (no run flats)

When you get the S Line in Canada, the car comes with summer performance tires. I would have preferred all seasons (but would still buy winter tires too). I don't want to get caught in an unexpected spring or fall snow storm with summer performance tires. All seasons would at least be adequate. I'm not a big fan of the huge vertical grille. Europe has large horizontal license plates that break up the space, but we don't have front plates in my province, so the grille looks a bit overdone. Maybe it will grow on me. The multimedia interface and cumbersome voice activation seem prehistoric when you're used to an iPhone with Siri.