2012 Audi A4 Premium Plus
By penpen1999 on
2012 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)
Bought a new 2012 A4 in November. I was shocked that a $40,880 vehicle does not support Bluetooth Audio streaming when a budget car like the Ford Fiesta does! The rear headrests are so large that they block 20% of the rear windshield. The Bluetooth voice command requires a separate phonebook that requires user entry The steering feels artificial and loose and lacks good road feel. My highway gas mileage has been 24 MPG but the spec said 29 MPG. I have been very gentle with the accelerator (less than 2000 rpm) and only drive highway so this is far lower than I expected. I get 30 MPG in my Accord when the spec says 29. The instantaneous MPG on the trip computer says 200 MPG sometime
Favorite Features
Bi-xenon lights and auto dimming mirrors are great for night time driving.
Suggested Improvements
The windshield defroster buttons are too small and located way too low relative to the windshield. When I was driving and the windows fogged up, it was very difficult to find the buttons and keep an eye on the road. I had to pull over to safely locate the defroster buttons. The $800 Audi Care option is inflexible for low mileage drivers. I am a low mileage driver so after 4 years, I will only have 25,000 miles. According to the schedule, the 4th year (35,000 miles) service includes a spark plug replacement. I wanted to delay the replacement until the 5th year since I will not have reached 35,000 miles. Audi will not allow that even though sparks are good for 6 years.
By curt1234
on 01/29/12 18:54 PM (PST)

I hate to be mr obvious here. If you have 1100 miles on the car its not even close to be broken in, so trying to determine fuel mileage this early in the game is POINTLESS. Check it around 5K, maybe even later, these motors are tight and you have the break-in oil in the car, mileage is going to suck until the rings seat and the engine wears, after that your mileage will go up, trust me, I had a 2008 a4 and it was the same deal, bad mileage then it got much better after 15-20k. Yes the audi care is a rip, they really push it when you lease. The A4 is still a great lil car and they cost alot less on average than the 3 and MB, the new 3 might change the game though.

By penpen1999
on 02/01/12 21:27 PM (PST)

My A4 came back from the dealership and the mechanic fixed the annoying wind noise by removing the mirrors, adding tape, and then reinstalling it. The cabin is nice and quiet now. They said the steering is loose because I have quattro and didn't get the sport suspension. When I mentioned my Accord has a firm steering wheel, he said because it is FWD. I'm not sure about that one... The mechanic agreed with Curt that the engine needs 5k miles to break-in and then MPG will improve. Audi customer service was incredibly courteous and took my concerns seriously. Kudos to them. They provided a wonderful 2012 S4 with Prestige and Drive Select loaner car while my car was at the shop. As a token of good will, they even gave me a free Bluetooth adapter (MSRP $250) that allows me to stream audio from my phone now! Now that is amazing customer service.

By penpen1999
on 01/16/12 13:41 PM (PST)

I selected the quattro version, not sure why it says CVT in the review. I have 1100 miles on the odometer.

By penpen1999
on 01/20/12 23:59 PM (PST)

Audi has pretty good customer service. They emailed me a satisfaction survey and I described the 10 things I disliked about the car. Then they called me up to apologize and gave me a $100 gift certificate for dinner.

By penpen1999
on 01/31/12 20:39 PM (PST)

curt1234: Thanks. I actually didn't know that it takes 5000 miles to get the rated MPG. I bought my Honda Accord brand new and it got 29 MPG right from the start and that was the rating. Does the steering get better after the break-in? Right now it is so loose that if I make a left turn, I have to manually rotate the wheel to the right to straighten out the car after the turn. Otherwise I will keep turning left! It wasn't like that on the loaner A4 that they gave me, but it had 7000 miles on it.