Oil Consumption
By A4owner on
2010 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
After 10,000 miles I find myself shuttling to the dealer every 5th weekend for the last 6 months due to the low oil indicator. They have done an consumption test and they report this is within normal for this engine. They have nothing else to offer. After spending 40K I expected more. After reading on the internet, I see that this has been a common problem. I suggest staying away. You've been forewarned.
Suggested Improvements
oil consumption
By maysday
on 03/14/14 13:55 PM (PDT)

escortowner is ccompletely correct, the Oil is not burning it is being leaked through the pistons and such, I had the problem and my dealership fixed it just like the problem escortowner had, they also paid for the entire work which i estimate was over $5000

By audia420t
on 06/17/11 10:35 AM (PDT)

I own a 2009 A4 2.0T. Bought it preowned at 34,000 miles. I've put 2 quarts of oil in it over the past 33 days. That's one quart every 1,100 miles. Audi is doing an oil consumption test now, but I may be just within the "normal" range, so they probably won't do anything about it. I drove an A6 2.7T to 120k miles and never added a drop of oil. Also drove a Maxima to 200k without a drop of oil. In fact, I haven't bought oil in 20 years, now I've bought 2 quarts in 33 days. Audi (or any other mfr) will tell you it's normal because they can. Of course they tell you it's normal. What they don't tell you is the long term effect of an engine burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. But they don't care about the long term effects. Audi has a HUGE problem on their hands and they refuse to admit it. They just need for that engine to make it to the warranty mileage. I absolutely love both of my Audi's I have owned, but after this experience, I'm very sad to say I will never own another and suggest others to stay away, particualrly from the 2.0T. Look up facebook Audi oil consuption and you will see how wide spread this is. Hundreds of posts all over the internet.

By thill357
on 05/18/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

I 100% agree with all the comments how this is "not normal". Exactly, you do not have to be a mechanic to know that burining oil is not normal. This is almost a $40k car, and the Audi of USA thinks it is fine and completley normal? NO! That is completley wrong! Turbocharged or not, not once in my life have I heard of adding to add oil to an engine every 600 miles. For people who say it is not a big deal, it really is a big deal! Forget just one time to top that oil off and that engine will start burning. The turbocharger becomes extremley hot even under normal conditions. IMO, it should really be a water-cooled type of system (which it is NOT). Air cooled is OBVIOUSLEY not enough for this little 4 cyl eng. I personally think it is poorly designed engined. Yes, it is peppy and quick ("and also good at the pump" as they say) but it is to much. I would not be putting up with burinig oil if that was my $40k AUDI!!

By xplash69
on 05/10/12 22:56 PM (PDT)

Very common for a turbocharged car to burn a little bit of oil, especially during the first few thousand miles. I've had that happen on every turbocharged car I've owned. The only time you have to sweat it is if the car is eating a lot of oil in very short mileage intervals. Also...directly from the A5's owner's manual - page 273 "Depending on the way the vehicle is driven and the operating conditions, oil consumption can be up to 1/2 quart per 600 miles (0.5 liter per 1000km). Consumption may be higher within the first 3000 miles (5000km)."

By escortowner
on 01/10/12 16:13 PM (PST)

So I posted a similar comment on another part of the edmunds forum and I am copying and pasting it below. Update on the Oil consumption So I just finished with my oil consumption issue and I have to say that while I dislike the fact that the cars seem to have issues, I am pleased with how the Audi dealership handled the whole situation. The long and the short of it is it is a known problem. So known that they covered the tests and repairs under my factory warranty (even though I was at 62,000 miles - 12,000 over the 50,000 warranty). What they do is they give you a fresh oil change, then have you come back after about 650 - 800 miles. They determine how much oil burned and determine what the next steps are. In my case it was a bit more severe. The repairs range from changing a piston ring, to a new engine (from what the dealer told me they have never actually had to replace an engine). In my case they had to replace all of the piston rings and pistons. In discussions apparently the pistons were manufactured slightly out of spec and were too small, thus letting oil through. None the less, they replaced everything, and I suppose in anywhere from 2 - 5,000 miles I will know if it worked. My measurement was that it was burning 0.48Q/1000 miles.

By beenthere6
on 07/10/11 20:11 PM (PDT)

Oil consumption is NEVER normal in any car - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A car is a self-contained system - to "consume" oil it would either have to leak or burn within the system. Take it to any ASE certified mechanic and they will tell you so. I had a 2008 A4 with the same "oil consumption" problem and successfully arranged a financial settlement with Audi. Here is what you have to do. Be an informed consumer. That means know the law in your state. Look up the lemon law. Does your case fall within the parameters (ie: mileage on car, age of car, etc). Next, contact either the Attorney General for your state or a lemon law attorney. They typically don't charge for their services - they will only take your case if they know they will win and then Audi pays the attorney's fees. I went with the lemon law attorney. Next, you will have to jump through the "Audi rings" - they will make you take it to the dealership several times for testing. Just follow the game. Meanwhile, take it to your mechanic - ASE certified - for their opinion. Get everything in writing. You will also have to write letters to Audi's consumer ombudsman. Get the address on their website. The attorney will guide you along as you build your case. For me, it was well worth the months of headaches to get my financial settlement. I then got rid of the car as fast as I could and bought a Honda! I am a single woman - if I can do it, you can too! Just don't wait - lemon laws are sensitive to mileage and time.

By 2009a42t
on 08/01/12 11:58 AM (PDT)

I am in the shop now for this very same issue! I have 57k miles on my 2009 and I am adding oil every 4-5 weeks. They have run every test on it and it comes back normal, but the dealer admits this wouldn't be acceptable if it was their car. I am trying to work with Audi of America for more information, but they never call me. This is a horrible situation and they have no desire to make it better. Everyone acknowledges it isn't correct, but no one will officially do anything to help me. I am outside of Lemon Law regulations because I trusted the dealer up front. My error. This will be my last Audi unless I get a fair solution.

By jbb12
on 05/11/12 16:23 PM (PDT)

Burning a "little bit of oil" for a turbocharged car is not the issue. The Audi manual states that up to 1/2 qt. per 600 mi is normal. Does everybody realize that this is 8.3 qts per recommended 10K mi oil change? You don't need to be a mechanic to know that is not "normal". My Audi dealership originally told me that that my reported 1qt per 2K mi is not covered under warranty and that spec was a worldwide industry standard (not Audi's). Armed with the information from this blog and others, I did not walk away. The service representative did the right thing and quickly approved the TSB 2027731 high oil consumption fix and test. Audi is a great brand and makes super and fun to drive cars. Stand behind your product please (remember the Audi 5000?).

By michelle_ro
on 09/05/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

Same here! Bought my 2010 A4 in May 2010 and two weeks ago I had to add a quart of oil. Now my oil is in the middle of the "range" as per the in-dash computer. I also had an A6 2.7t with 80k miles prior to this A4 with 12k miles (!!!) and never added one drop of oil. Something is not right! I do not drive at excessive RPM nor do I abuse my car in any way. I have only put 12k miles since May 2010.

By rickallen
on 12/13/10 13:37 PM (PST)

Engines consume oil. If you really think that oil consumption is a deal-breaker, good luck with any car. I own a 2010 A4 and it's an awesome car. Putting a half quart in it every 3000 miles is seriously not a big deal. You should get over it.