2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Car, but ...
By Jack K.

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the perfect car for my needs. It's "fun enough" to drive, looks good, and gets great fuel economy considering its size and performance. I've been a long-time VW and Audi owner and I really do think they offer a great trade-off between value and fun. However, this '09 A4 is similar to my past VWs and Audis as it still has a number of small (typical Audi) quality issues. This '09 A4 has suffered from an ignition switch failure, reverse backing light bulb installation issue, broken rear seat cup holder, and came with a defective exterior trim piece. None of these issues have been major but give me my usual uneasy feeling about owning this car for the long-term.

Favorite Features

The general lay-out and design of the interior is great. The ipod interface is also pretty solid. I've gotten used to the oil level sensor and now like it.

Suggested Improvements

At certain engine speeds & accel pedal position, engine torque oscillates a bit. The MMI system could include a few short-cuts (e.g., return to previous channel). The rear exterior lamps simply use push-in bulbs (no turn lock) -- which seems quite cheap. Brake fluid level seems hard to check.

From the outside to the inside, it is an awesome car
By Lisa

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Currently at 5,000 miles - quattro loaded, automatic, 4-door. From the outside to the inside, it is an awesome car. I have had zero problems out of the internal or external parts of the car. The major things that ppl suggest to improve for this car are not a problem for me with my car. No buyer's remorse here, just happiness even in the winter. One small note: If you have a back injury or something close to it, you may want to buy another model other than the A4. It's a sports model and it can be uncomfortable for you. The seats are low minus a lot of cushion.

Favorite Features

The engine (fast), heated side mirrors in the winter, MMI, bluetooth, daylights, rear fog lights (very cool) & compliments from unknown and know ppl. This car gets lots of attention and was featured in the movie, "Ironman." Ha, gotta love it!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seats; put some cushion on those bad boys! If viewing other cars is a problem while driving, move the seats up! There's plenty of cargo space, but not enough room in the back seat. Anyone 5'5" and taller can not fit comfortably.

Magnificent suspension
By Craig Euritt

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The suspension on this car is magnificent! It handles curves like a slingshot, by far my favorite car so far.

Favorite Features

Suspension

Suggested Improvements

Twin Turbo

Questioning the Audi Quality
By oliver

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just took home a new 2009 Audi A4 quattro 4 dr sedan Premium plus today and just before we got home the car seemed to choke as I stepped on the accelerator. It was also showing a blinking check engine light on the dash board. It comes and goes but to think that you just got it out from the dealer and now you have to bring it back to have it checked for problems. We should have bought a more reliable car like a Honda or Toyota. It may not be as luxurious as an Audi but it sure is more cheap and RELIABLE.

Still not a Smooth Ride
By Pascal

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my 2009 Audi for about 6 months now. Bought it slightly used with 12k, now has 20k. Love the looks, love the power, and love the quattro. But as hard as I try and as many times as I take it to the dealership, it still vibrates at speeds 75-85 MPH, as if the tires aren't quite balanced right. I spend a lot of time on the road and this drives me crazy! Also, I've developed several rattles in the speakers and other parts of the car. I had a 1996 Audi in the past that I would say I was much happier with than this car. Probably won't end up keeping it very long.

Favorite Features

Turbo, AWD, Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Make my car drive smooth on the freeway! It's an Audi! C'mon! Oh, and maybe work on those rattles.

Something to consider
By coloradodriver

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased an 09 Premium Plus and found the seats to be super uncomfortable. So uncomfortable, in fact, that I ended up trading it in with only 4,000 miles on it for another '09 A4, but this one had the sport seats (M3-style retractable thigh support bolsters)and better shoulder support plus paddle shifters. Night and day. While I could never get quite comfortable in my Premium Plus I was immediately very comfortable and have been for the past 16,000 miles in my Sport package model. The only issue is that from what I understand Audi has discontinued the "Sport Package" and now only offers the better seats in the S4. Something to consider- you will not like the stock seats if you are 5'10"+.

Favorite Features

Sport seats on the sport model, paddle shifters, bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Like the others commented, not sure what the dealio is with the second cup holder. The comment about red bull seemed apt. Or maybe a sippy cup? Dunno.

Great Car
By Adrian Pineda

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had this car for almost a month with 1300 miles on it. It is an awesome car with excellent driving dynamics. I can hardly believe it is a 4 cylinder, but I'm reminded of it when I idle the engine with the windows down. I returned a leased 2007 Lexus IS350 and at no point did I feel like I downgraded although this vehicle was $7000 less. The interior room is cavernous and the ergonomics are superb. Acceleration is amazing for any size engine not to mention for a 4 cyl. The Bluetooth integration is excellent as it reads your entire phonebook and makes accessible at your steering wheel controls. The front end with the LED Running lights makes this car spell luxury.

Favorite Features

LED Running lights, Exterior/interior, Ipod & bluetooth integrations, AWD handling, MPG/performance ratio, turning ratio, overall dimensions (it is a massive, confident vehicle). QUIET ride at all speeds! My coworker bought one after he test drove mine.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof control has no intuition. MMI controls are way too complicated for any taste. The MM screen should have a screen saver or a home menu. The engine sounds rough when I start it in the morning, the first time it freaked me out.

A blast to drive
By JK

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fun to drive in country roads, especially with S mode. The exterior with daylight running light draws attentions and the interior design, especially with the red back lights, is just beautiful. The fuel economy is good with over 33 mpg highway and 27 mixed highway/city driving.

Favorite Features

Quattro, exterior, interior, bluetooth phone interface, ipod music interface, daylight running light.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power and slightly softer ride.

A car that earns praises
By JK

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The performance is great with sports mode, but the suspension is a bit bumpy for my taste (I can feel every road bump), but I guess that's what you get for a more sports tuned suspension. Fuel economy is not bad for a 211hp AWD car; I'm getting about 30 mpg on the highway and average about 25 highway/city driving. It is definitely a fun to drive car with very tight turning circle. Interior and exterior design earn many praises from my friends. The problem is I'm getting the shimmy around 62 mph (hence points off in reliability) and the diagnosis from Audi Engineering is bad control arms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that replacing control arms will cure the shimmies.

Favorite Features

Stereo, Audi Music Interface (ipod interface), quattro, sports mode, bluetooth hands-free phone interface, interior material and exterior looks, day light running lights.

Suggested Improvements

Even better fuel mileage. Perhaps slightly softer suspension.

Best in class
By ca

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had the Audi for 2,500km so far. It is amazing. Fuel efficiency is great for a car with this much power. The 2.0 is more powerful than the 3.2 for the first 100km (60mph). I have the navi and tech pkg. Everything is voice activated. Back up camera is very handy. Proximity sensor locks and engine start are very convenient. EPS is nicely engineered. Audi side assist is handy. Seats are very comfortable. Breaks are high performance. I tested the Lexus IS250 and the BMW 328xi also. I have heard "Hey man nice car!" from over 10 people in 3 weeks. So that covers the exterior design. Red Bull must be more popular in Germany than North America (one of the cup holders is small).

Favorite Features

Proximity sensor locks and engine start, Back up camera, navigation, voice activation features. AMI, you can hook up a 500gb hard drive through USB if you want...

Suggested Improvements

Two regular sized cup holders (although it is currently better design than '09 BMW cupholders...).