Used 2009 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Poor Choice,Beware Audi has lots of work to do still
By rd7

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a brand new Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T quattro 2009 sedan. No problems up until about 5K+ miles, thereafter increasing engine sound / noise, gears not changing and getting stuck at 2nd/3rd gear. Reverse gear failed to engage during winter of 2009. Transmission filter & fluid was replaced, which resolved the problem for several months, until onset of winter 2010, the same problems are back now. Additionally card DRINKS oil, had to be in twice already to top up oil (car has 20K miles on it presently). Rattling and crackling noises are fairly frequent, which should NOT be seen in a luxury brand. God bless & long live Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW & Mercedes. Please Stay CLEAR of AUDI !

External appearance and highway gas mileage only (City gas mileage is POOR)

NEED TO LEARN IMMEDIATELY FROM ACURA, LEXUS AND INFINITI how to make appealing and reliable automobiles. Stop comparing yourselves (AUDI) to the luxury brands out there. As a matter of fact Honda, Toyota and Nissan make better / more reliable vehicles any day.

Buy/Lease a Japanese Car Instead
By Cars are Us

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Audi's 4 cylinder engine - 2.0 ltr - is a poorly designed and engineered engine. It is not smooth and has a slight roughness at idle. The engine burns oil -about one quart every 1200 miles or so. Audi USA says this is normal for a car with an MSRP of $40,000+. Audi obviously went the cheap route and doesn't ant to stand behind its product. I buy or lease cars for their engine reliability. And in this department, Audi is a definite loser. Buy or lease a Honda Accord, Lexus, Toyota- upscaled models nicely equipped. They are far better cars and their manufacturers stand behind their products - unlike Audi.

Audi, good for a boat anchor
By LAST AUDI FOR ME

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our 2009 A4, 2.o ltr is our 2nd leased Audi. We liked the larger size compared to our 2006 A4. Our honeymoon, however, was short-lived. The car consumed more than one qt of oil prior to the 1st dealer oil change. By the 15k change, the car consumed more than 4 quarts. There was also an issue with a leaking water pump and a throttle gizmo that caused uneven idling. Now taking the car back and forth to the local dealer to "confirm" the oil consumption. 4th trip today. The dealer did say that Audi of America is going to say oil consumption of 1200 miles/quart of oil is "normal." The center LED brake light now broke too. Car is a piece of crap! Buyer/lessee beware! Last Audi for me.

LED lights in front

Call it a "do over". DESIGN AND BUILD A QUALITY CAR. Please sell/lease your present crap in Germany. Is the word already out in Germany, so you send your duds here? Your 2 ltr engine has major issues and your quality control is very poor.

re: update 1/10 "from the outside..."
By Lisa

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well, I loved my Audi A4 but I had to trade it for a larger and more comfortable car. I traded it for a SUV. Size: People are not able to sit in the back of the car comfortably. It's a sports car with back seats added to it to make it look larger. Try to fit a car seat in the back with another child & you will be sorry because it will not work. I am also 9 months pregnant and I was upset every single day over the lack of quality care that the German's put into the comfort of this vehicle. The driving experience was nice & I really liked both the interior and exterior look of the car. I never had any mechanical problems with the car and the gas mileage was great.

The car is just pretty but for the same price or a little more, I'd buy a BMW 5-series. More features, better comfort & the customer care is much, much better. How do I know? Because my husband has one (a BMW 5 series) & I like it much better than the Audi.

Cushion to support the body while driving; 2 regular sized cup holders; fix the sunroof - too loud at each level; separate seat heaters and temperature controls; auto side mirror positions (pull in & out with a click of a button); auto door openers like the BMW and fix the acceleration lag.

2009 A4 Burns Oil
By K

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my A4 back to the dealer 4 times for excessive oil consumption. They've gone as far as replacing all of my pistons/ring (took 30 days) to complete and it still consumes about 1 qt. every 1500 miles. Power steering hose is on recall so had that repair completed at the same time and had to take it back again for the power steering hose. This car looks awesome but just isn't very well built I have confronted Audi and they say it is NORMAL for a car to burn up to 1 qt. every 1000 MILES. This would be 9 quarts of oil between oil changes. My 1997 Explorer with 185K miles didn't go through oil like this.

Awesome stereo system, very comfortable to drive and more amenities than any one person could need. I have the Prestige Package and everything you need is there.

Fix the oil consumption problem.