2009 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2.0T Premium Avant quattro 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )
HORRIBLE CAR MECHANICALLY
By tc124 on 05/20/14 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Wagon 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car 4 months ago and it has 60,000 miles on it. It is burning oil like you wouldn't believe. I took it in to the Audi service department and they said the first step is to replace the crankcase pressure regulatory valve and put the Audi software update on it, which cost $109 for that. Overall, the cost is $600. If this doesn't fix the problem, the engine pistons need to be replaced, so basically a new engine for $5,000. Audi needs to recall the 2.0 liter engines. Why would you charge 40,000 for a car and the engine goes out at 60,000 miles. Obviously, this is a faulty engine!

Meh
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 15:21 PM (PST)

Quite frankly, it's hard to be ambivalent about $40k purchase, but I have to be honest with myself, and 9 months after purchasing this car, I can't say it's changed our lives. It's solidly built, but there's a fair amount of road noise. For all the self- congratulation from Audi about the increase in size, it's really not all that roomy. I think my wife's old 2001 Jetta had more room in the back. The MMI might be good compared to options from other manufacturers, but it's hardly intuitive. In sum, it's a solid but not outstanding effort.

Noisy Brakes!
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 14:52 PM (PST)

I love my new Audi A 4 Avant Wagon but very concerned about the noise the brakes make. It sounds like a loud creaking noise each time I apply the brakes regardless of whether the brakes are cold or warm. There is an abnormal amount of brake dust,as well. The Audi dealership tells me that this noise is "normal" and to help quiet the noise, I should slam on the brakes (in an empty parking lot) to "reset" them. I actually did this to no avail. This seems silly and hard to accept for a new 42K car. Also the GPS is extremely difficult to use - very complicated. Seats are not very comfortable after the first 2 hours. Other than these few issues the vehicle performs and drives very nicely.

It's a sport wagon not a station wagon!
By BabyA on 05/19/09 15:18 PM (PDT)

I test drove the BMW 328i wagon, Saab 9-3 Combi, Prius, Audi A3, Subaru Impreza, VW GTI, Volvo V50 and the Mazda 3. The A4 Avant had the luxury, speed, room, look, and quality of materials I was looking for. I took my first maiden road trip and could not be happier. No body aches, great gas mileage, great handling in rain and when the sun came out I opened up the panoramic sun roof.

Joyful ride
By Steve on 05/03/09 09:31 AM (PDT)

This is my 2nd Audi to replace my 2002 A6 2.7T. I like the look of the A4 so chose the Avant version for practical reasons. I must say that it's such a joy to drive this car everyday that the commute to and from work seems almost tolerable. It feels sporty even without the sports package. Even though the sports package moves it further up the performance ladder, the ride is a little too jarring for the road I drive on. An added bonus on this car is fuel frugality. I am already averaging 25.5 MPG over 1,300 miles (1/5 city and 4/5 highway driving).

Much better than BMW, Infinity, Acura
By gfitzgerald on 04/27/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

My trade was a 2006 A3 sport that I had for 2.5 years. I liked it so much I wanted to see what else Audi had that was just a little bit larger, more comfortable yet just as much fun to drive. The A4 Avant Sport was it. Options I got: Premium Plus, Sport, Navigation, Rear Side Airbags. This car is unbelievable. The BMW 325xi wagon cost $8k more for the same equipment but had a cheaper interior and didn't drive as well. The Infiniti EX had sub-par interior quality although it drove great. However, I'm not going to apologize to my back seat passengers as they trip getting out of the car (small back seat and door opening if I'm buying a $44k car and I would have to do that with the EX).

One of the best wagons available
By rollwaveroll on 02/18/09 17:12 PM (PST)

I swapped a Tundra pickup for this wagon and love the car. Best combination of size, performance, and practicality on the market. Wonderful handling and when the turbo kicks in, breathtaking acceleration. Lots of features and techno gadgets even in the base model. As can be expected from Audi, top notch interior build although the gray metallic plastic around the instrument panel seems cheesy, why didn't they just use the aluminum trim like in the rest of the car. The radio controls take some getting used to and the steering wheel audio controls frustratingly don't let you scroll among preset stations only. This car is a looker and gets lots of attention, a top choice among wagons!

Fantastic car!!
By Stefan on 01/05/09 19:12 PM (PST)

I just bought the '09 A4 Avant with Prestige package, Navigation, 19" Sports package and Drive Select. After about 1200 miles I must say that this is by far the best and most fun car I ever owned. The technology is cutting edge, the interior is on par with any recent Porsche (and much better than its direct competitors) and the performance is much better than the previous generation A4. The new A4 has dethroned the BMW as the true ultimate driving machine. As a previous A4 owner, I am pleased that Audi addressed all design flaws from the B7 models. It now boosts stronger hinges on arm rests, cup holders closer to the center of gravity etc

Bang for the buck!
By MrJimmy on 10/20/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

Great car for the money. Just bought this car for my wife, looked at BMW X6 - seats only 4? 3 series SUV I wasn't impressed with, I drive a 335i and we needed a winter car. Front end, very aggressive styling and they did a better job with the back end too. Enough for 5 people, dogs and luggage.

A Real Advance
By selectfpr on 10/13/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

I have owned various BMW's & Audi's over the past 15 years, and this seems to be one of my favorites. I just ended an X3 lease and was considering the 328xi wagon or the A4 Avant. To my surprise, I chose the Avant with the Premium Plus Package, because they really made a lot of advancements since my 2004 Audi. Until BMW redesigns the 328, the Audi 2.0 I think is a much better car. It handles great, it's feels much quicker than the 328, and the interior and exterior design (at least on the Avant) is a real winner. So far, I think it's a no brainer.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Audi A4 Wagon in VA is:

$132 per month*