2009 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Audi buyers beware!!!
By kenneth39 on 03/08/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned the Audi A4 for over eight months three days after driving the car from the dealership the oil low alarm came on. I called the dealership that sold me the car they said that having to add one quart of oil after driving 800 miles was acceptable?????? "Acceptable" really, I called Audi USA and asked why were they selling cars that used oil off the show room floor, I was told that in the eyes of Audi this was an acceptable level of normal oil consumption. Fast forward from 2009 till present in total the car has spent more time in the repair shop than on the road, we have replaced the motor and turbo and the oil consumption increased to a quart of oil with every fill up of gas.

Worst car Ever!!
By holms on 01/01/12 16:35 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Owning an Audi has been the worst experience ever!! Have owned it for 2.75 years now. Leased it after coming from a BMW I loved the free maintenance but this was an extra $800 for the Audi care package. I was able to negotiate it into the lease for no cost, so glad. My wife and I thought we got a great deal cuz we got all the bells and whistles for the same cost of a BMW base model. Well I hate driving this car and am so happy to give it back in 3 months. Audi service department sucks!!! You are nobody when you walk in. As soon as they see that I have Audi Care they start treating you better but they dont listen to you and dont call you when your car is done.

Awesome after 24000 miles
By zoolander1 on 01/15/11 02:59 AM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update from my original review. I've had my A4 for a 16 months and 24k miles now and I think it's only fair to review it past the 'new car feeling'. Still handles like a champion. Have had ZERO issues with the car. Haven't had any unscheduled dealer visits. I would definitely recommend the car to someone looking for a 3 series alternative. The A4 is way more affordable and offers the same level of confort at a higher value. The car needs to be serviced at 5k, 15k and 25k. I added 1 qt of oil at 21500 miles which I consider normal given the interval within services.

excellent design, reliability much worse than in the past
By vjd2211 on 12/31/10 09:18 AM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Went from the 2003 A4 model to 2009 - old model was a real german design - tight handling, powerful, good brakes. The new one gained in dimensions - you feel inside like in a mid-size car, but the steering is too soft, I guess to appeal more to american drivers. Just one note - the car is not anymore a 100% german car - parts are made in other parts of the world and the overall quality has suffered. Have that in mind - repairs over the 4/50k warranty are very expensive both parts and labor - currently at 35k miles and thinking to trade-in.

Poor Choice,Beware Audi has lots of work to do still
By rd7 on 12/19/10 20:04 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a brand new Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T quattro 2009 sedan. No problems up until about 5K+ miles, thereafter increasing engine sound / noise, gears not changing and getting stuck at 2nd/3rd gear. Reverse gear failed to engage during winter of 2009. Transmission filter & fluid was replaced, which resolved the problem for several months, until onset of winter 2010, the same problems are back now. Additionally card DRINKS oil, had to be in twice already to top up oil (car has 20K miles on it presently). Rattling and crackling noises are fairly frequent, which should NOT be seen in a luxury brand. God bless & long live Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW & Mercedes. Please Stay CLEAR of AUDI !

Buy/Lease a Japanese Car Instead
By Cars are Us on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Audi's 4 cylinder engine - 2.0 ltr - is a poorly designed and engineered engine. It is not smooth and has a slight roughness at idle. The engine burns oil -about one quart every 1200 miles or so. Audi USA says this is normal for a car with an MSRP of $40,000+. Audi obviously went the cheap route and doesn't ant to stand behind its product. I buy or lease cars for their engine reliability. And in this department, Audi is a definite loser. Buy or lease a Honda Accord, Lexus, Toyota- upscaled models nicely equipped. They are far better cars and their manufacturers stand behind their products - unlike Audi.

Audi, good for a boat anchor
By LAST AUDI FOR ME on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our 2009 A4, 2.o ltr is our 2nd leased Audi. We liked the larger size compared to our 2006 A4. Our honeymoon, however, was short-lived. The car consumed more than one qt of oil prior to the 1st dealer oil change. By the 15k change, the car consumed more than 4 quarts. There was also an issue with a leaking water pump and a throttle gizmo that caused uneven idling. Now taking the car back and forth to the local dealer to "confirm" the oil consumption. 4th trip today. The dealer did say that Audi of America is going to say oil consumption of 1200 miles/quart of oil is "normal." The center LED brake light now broke too. Car is a piece of crap! Buyer/lessee beware! Last Audi for me.

re: update 1/10 "from the outside..."
By Lisa on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well, I loved my Audi A4 but I had to trade it for a larger and more comfortable car. I traded it for a SUV. Size: People are not able to sit in the back of the car comfortably. It's a sports car with back seats added to it to make it look larger. Try to fit a car seat in the back with another child & you will be sorry because it will not work. I am also 9 months pregnant and I was upset every single day over the lack of quality care that the German's put into the comfort of this vehicle. The driving experience was nice & I really liked both the interior and exterior look of the car. I never had any mechanical problems with the car and the gas mileage was great.

2009 A4 Burns Oil
By K on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my A4 back to the dealer 4 times for excessive oil consumption. They've gone as far as replacing all of my pistons/ring (took 30 days) to complete and it still consumes about 1 qt. every 1500 miles. Power steering hose is on recall so had that repair completed at the same time and had to take it back again for the power steering hose. This car looks awesome but just isn't very well built I have confronted Audi and they say it is NORMAL for a car to burn up to 1 qt. every 1000 MILES. This would be 9 quarts of oil between oil changes. My 1997 Explorer with 185K miles didn't go through oil like this.

The best amongst the Germans
By Sulabh Dhanuka on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Like probably most people, I looked at the BMW 3, Benz C, Acura TL, and Infiniti G37 before finally settling on the A4. I wanted first and foremost a car that was fun to drive both on the daily commute and weekend trip. I also wanted a car that stood out. Unfortunately, it seems that everyone in this segment naturally gravitates towards the 3, usually because that is all they have heard of. What I found in the A4 is a car that gives me all the performance with real handsome looks both inside and out (yes, I am a sucker for those LED head lights). The car is incredible to drive, especially in Sports mode. While I miss the torque of the 2.0T, the 3.2 is the one to have.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Audi A4 Sedan in VA is:

$134 per month*