2009 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
HORRIBLE CAR MECHANICALLY
By tc124 on 05/20/14 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car 4 months ago and it has 60,000 miles on it. It is burning oil like you wouldn't believe. I took it in to the Audi service department and they said the first step is to replace the crankcase pressure regulatory valve and put the Audi software update on it, which cost $109 for that. Overall, the cost is $600. If this doesn't fix the problem, the engine pistons need to be replaced, so basically a new engine for $5,000. Audi needs to recall the 2.0 liter engines. Why would you charge 40,000 for a car and the engine goes out at 60,000 miles. Obviously, this is a faulty engine!

Audi buyers beware!!!
By kenneth39 on 03/08/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned the Audi A4 for over eight months three days after driving the car from the dealership the oil low alarm came on. I called the dealership that sold me the car they said that having to add one quart of oil after driving 800 miles was acceptable?????? "Acceptable" really, I called Audi USA and asked why were they selling cars that used oil off the show room floor, I was told that in the eyes of Audi this was an acceptable level of normal oil consumption. Fast forward from 2009 till present in total the car has spent more time in the repair shop than on the road, we have replaced the motor and turbo and the oil consumption increased to a quart of oil with every fill up of gas.

Worst car Ever!!
By holms on 01/01/12 16:35 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Owning an Audi has been the worst experience ever!! Have owned it for 2.75 years now. Leased it after coming from a BMW I loved the free maintenance but this was an extra $800 for the Audi care package. I was able to negotiate it into the lease for no cost, so glad. My wife and I thought we got a great deal cuz we got all the bells and whistles for the same cost of a BMW base model. Well I hate driving this car and am so happy to give it back in 3 months. Audi service department sucks!!! You are nobody when you walk in. As soon as they see that I have Audi Care they start treating you better but they dont listen to you and dont call you when your car is done.

Awesome after 24000 miles
By zoolander1 on 01/15/11 02:59 AM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update from my original review. I've had my A4 for a 16 months and 24k miles now and I think it's only fair to review it past the 'new car feeling'. Still handles like a champion. Have had ZERO issues with the car. Haven't had any unscheduled dealer visits. I would definitely recommend the car to someone looking for a 3 series alternative. The A4 is way more affordable and offers the same level of confort at a higher value. The car needs to be serviced at 5k, 15k and 25k. I added 1 qt of oil at 21500 miles which I consider normal given the interval within services.

excellent design, reliability much worse than in the past
By vjd2211 on 12/31/10 09:18 AM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Went from the 2003 A4 model to 2009 - old model was a real german design - tight handling, powerful, good brakes. The new one gained in dimensions - you feel inside like in a mid-size car, but the steering is too soft, I guess to appeal more to american drivers. Just one note - the car is not anymore a 100% german car - parts are made in other parts of the world and the overall quality has suffered. Have that in mind - repairs over the 4/50k warranty are very expensive both parts and labor - currently at 35k miles and thinking to trade-in.

Poor Choice,Beware Audi has lots of work to do still
By rd7 on 12/19/10 20:04 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a brand new Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T quattro 2009 sedan. No problems up until about 5K+ miles, thereafter increasing engine sound / noise, gears not changing and getting stuck at 2nd/3rd gear. Reverse gear failed to engage during winter of 2009. Transmission filter & fluid was replaced, which resolved the problem for several months, until onset of winter 2010, the same problems are back now. Additionally card DRINKS oil, had to be in twice already to top up oil (car has 20K miles on it presently). Rattling and crackling noises are fairly frequent, which should NOT be seen in a luxury brand. God bless & long live Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW & Mercedes. Please Stay CLEAR of AUDI !

Meh
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 15:21 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Quite frankly, it's hard to be ambivalent about $40k purchase, but I have to be honest with myself, and 9 months after purchasing this car, I can't say it's changed our lives. It's solidly built, but there's a fair amount of road noise. For all the self- congratulation from Audi about the increase in size, it's really not all that roomy. I think my wife's old 2001 Jetta had more room in the back. The MMI might be good compared to options from other manufacturers, but it's hardly intuitive. In sum, it's a solid but not outstanding effort.

Noisy Brakes!
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 14:52 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my new Audi A 4 Avant Wagon but very concerned about the noise the brakes make. It sounds like a loud creaking noise each time I apply the brakes regardless of whether the brakes are cold or warm. There is an abnormal amount of brake dust,as well. The Audi dealership tells me that this noise is "normal" and to help quiet the noise, I should slam on the brakes (in an empty parking lot) to "reset" them. I actually did this to no avail. This seems silly and hard to accept for a new 42K car. Also the GPS is extremely difficult to use - very complicated. Seats are not very comfortable after the first 2 hours. Other than these few issues the vehicle performs and drives very nicely.

Buy/Lease a Japanese Car Instead
By Cars are Us on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Audi's 4 cylinder engine - 2.0 ltr - is a poorly designed and engineered engine. It is not smooth and has a slight roughness at idle. The engine burns oil -about one quart every 1200 miles or so. Audi USA says this is normal for a car with an MSRP of $40,000+. Audi obviously went the cheap route and doesn't ant to stand behind its product. I buy or lease cars for their engine reliability. And in this department, Audi is a definite loser. Buy or lease a Honda Accord, Lexus, Toyota- upscaled models nicely equipped. They are far better cars and their manufacturers stand behind their products - unlike Audi.

Audi, good for a boat anchor
By LAST AUDI FOR ME on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our 2009 A4, 2.o ltr is our 2nd leased Audi. We liked the larger size compared to our 2006 A4. Our honeymoon, however, was short-lived. The car consumed more than one qt of oil prior to the 1st dealer oil change. By the 15k change, the car consumed more than 4 quarts. There was also an issue with a leaking water pump and a throttle gizmo that caused uneven idling. Now taking the car back and forth to the local dealer to "confirm" the oil consumption. 4th trip today. The dealer did say that Audi of America is going to say oil consumption of 1200 miles/quart of oil is "normal." The center LED brake light now broke too. Car is a piece of crap! Buyer/lessee beware! Last Audi for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Audi A4 in VA is:

$134 per month*