Used 2008 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

So Far So Fun
By KH

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Special Ed. quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought as an Audi certified used car - 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty. The car is a joy to drive, the S-line suspension is tight and grips the road with the all-wheel drive. I use the paddle shifters to kick up the turbo and hit the gas - its a fun little 4 cylinder! Doesn't have the low end torque, but it does get 24 miles to the gallon in the city and 30 on the highway! No issues with oil or anything else other reviews have stated (knock on wood). The interior is very comfortable and stylish - it is pretty cramped, though, in the back seat. Trunk has lots of room. Almost every time I drive it some stranger gives a turn and a compliment!

Favorite Features

Handling, paddle shifters, interior comfort, body styling, the Ferrari Red paint!

Suggested Improvements

No MP3 port with basic sound package - the menu and mode buttons are a little confusing to figure out. Small back seat (no leg room)

Go buy a BMW 3 Series
By jbt020

2008 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I trade cars about every 2 years and have owned BMW, Acura, Honda, Cadillac, Mazda, Jeep, Volkswagon, Lincoln and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I opted for the sport suspension and it literally feels like you are driving a covered wagon. There is a spot on my way home from work where I literally brace myself for the impact...and it's not a big bump. This is the only car I have owned in my life that I have to buy a quart of oil to add to it in between oil changes. At any given time I would have anywhere from 1 to 3 warning lights on at the same time. I just traded it in last night for an Acura TL and was thrilled to say goodbye!

Favorite Features

I like the exterior styling. I had just switched from a BMW 3 series and the interior felt nicer in the audi.

Suggested Improvements

I had a Volkswagon once in 1999 and Audi is just a glorified Volkswagon. The common problem with both of them is they bombard you with warning lights. I recently had it in the shop and got a 2010 A4 loaner with 3000 miles on it...and it had warning lights on already.

Oil Consumption Machine
By Hugo

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Special Ed. 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is an excellent car except for the amount of oil it consumes. 1 quart every 1,200 miles is too high. If you purchase this car be prepared to have your trunk full of oil quarts. Other than that it is a good car.

Suggested Improvements

Oil consumption, 1 quart every 1,200 miles is too high

Fun & Then Some
By Mia

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Special Ed. 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought this car used a few months ago and have loved it since I got into it. Overall the performance is good and the turbo is great compared to many I have driven in the past - very smooth. Fuel economy is good if you lay off the accelerator, you can easily get 35-40mpg with good driving and 20-25mpg being more aggressive. Also, the car is for lack of a better word spunky. The styling will get you looks and the car loves a winding road. Hitting the accelerator on a hard curve is pure joy. Overall great car with a solid foundation.

Favorite Features

Interior fits great and everything is set exquisitely. Transmission is silky smooth and the turbo is responsive with very little lag. Great handling & curb appeal.

Suggested Improvements

Cover the cup holders with something, looks strange having it open. Move hood opening lever, strange spot somethings gets hit accidentally.

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Avant
By T Farrand

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I drove this A4 Avant for 18 months and could not wait for the day to finally unload this car. The car was in the repair shop 6 times in 18 months - all for engine issues - fuel sensor, oxygen sensor in turbo, and finally an oil leak. The dealership was courteous and professional each time I had the car in, but the problems kept popping up. When the car was functioning properly, I enjoyed driving it. My main complaint was the automatic transmission - the Drive transmission setting shifted painfully slowly and enhanced the awful turbo lag. The Sport transmission setting was better, but it had to be shifted manually with the paddles into 6th gear when traveling < 80 mph. In 20 years of driving Honda and Toyota products, I made 3 trips in total for non-routine maintenance. 6 trips in 18 months for the Audi A4 is unacceptable and I will not buy another Audi.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, audio system, steering, braking.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. For a car in this price segment, I will not tolerate the frequent trips to the dealer for repairs.