Used 2008 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Audi A4 Wagon

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

2008 Audi A4 2.0T Avant
By T Farrand

2008 Audi A4 Wagon 2.0T Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I drove this A4 Avant for 18 months and could not wait for the day to finally unload this car. The car was in the repair shop 6 times in 18 months - all for engine issues - fuel sensor, oxygen sensor in turbo, and finally an oil leak. The dealership was courteous and professional each time I had the car in, but the problems kept popping up. When the car was functioning properly, I enjoyed driving it. My main complaint was the automatic transmission - the Drive transmission setting shifted painfully slowly and enhanced the awful turbo lag. The Sport transmission setting was better, but it had to be shifted manually with the paddles into 6th gear when traveling < 80 mph. In 20 years of driving Honda and Toyota products, I made 3 trips in total for non-routine maintenance. 6 trips in 18 months for the Audi A4 is unacceptable and I will not buy another Audi.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, audio system, steering, braking.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. For a car in this price segment, I will not tolerate the frequent trips to the dealer for repairs.

The little wagon that could
By frankclh

2008 Audi A4 Wagon 3.2 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

I have had several Audi's over the past 15 years as well as several Jeeps. This latest purchase with the 3.2 is outstanding. Power, all weather ability with utility and sport car manors. This package does it all. The MMI is great. Did a three hundred mile loop from New York to Boston and got 29 mpg. Got it with the Audi Certified program so great deal with new car warranty. Very, very happy.

Favorite Features

Quattro, 3.2 engine and handling

Suggested Improvements

Make just a little larger. Additional aux. input for i-pod. Maybe a bumper trim plate under rear hatch to prevent scratching. That's it.

Stick to the Road
By Waiting for Alfa

2008 Audi A4 Wagon 2.0T Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my 3rd A4 Avant (1999; 2003; 2008). I recently had to retire my 1995 Alfa 164LS. I purchased this to drive along with our 2003 A4 Avant. The plan is to retire the 2003 and keep the 2008 once Alfa returns to the USA. The car is quite sporty in nature. It appears as if the new A4 will have more driver right leg room, but it is unclear whether the new Avant will be offered as a 6 speed. We only have had manual transmissions with sport suspension. The 2008 2.0 engine is more throaty and powerful than previous models. The four wheel drive sticks like glue. The 2.0 torque is limited, but the acceleration is fine, with little turbo lag. Forget BMW and go for it.

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive; throaty engine; exterior style; optional sport suspension; optional stereo/satellite radio upgrade

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights and dimming rearview mirror as stand-alone options; more driver right leg room; standard or optional seat uprade in 2.0 base model

This is an awesome SUV Alternative
By Nick

2008 Audi A4 Wagon 2.0T Special Ed. Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My other vehicles are 911 turbo, Mustang GT convertible, Cayenne S. This vehicle has become my favorite. I can drive it over highway 17 in California with vigor. I drove it to Tahoe with the family, a roof box and a lot of gear. It was a blast. It compensated well on icy patches and blasted through the snow. I can put my golden retriever in the back, pick up the family and still enjoy the ride. The S mode and paddle shifters make this a stealth sports car. I enjoy the "S" suspension features and the mileage of the 2.0T. It feels like a Porsche station wagon. I predict that these wagons will see a resurgence in the near future. The Avant gets 22 around town and 28 highway.

Favorite Features

Daytime running lights, buetooth cellphone, stellite radio, IPOD adapter, S mode on tranny is very intuitive, paddle shifters, visibility, traction, rear storage room, ease of ability to put things on the roof.

Suggested Improvements

The improvements that will will debut on the 2009 will address many of the minor complaints. The sound system interface is dated on this version and the rear legroom could be better. Would like more information on the trip computer screen in front of the driver.

A true sports wagon
By Keith

2008 Audi A4 Wagon 2.0T Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Looked for a wagon (not SUV) with some style and performance, settled on the A4 with 6-spd and am extremely happy so far. This car is as fun to drive as my 325i (and much more than my CLK430) and can carry stuff to boot. I have had no reliability issues after 3 weeks. I know this isn't the final word, but no horror stories. So far I get about 25 mpg around town (suburbs, not city) and more like 29 hwy, a little less if I feel like having fun. It is not really a lightweight car so this seems acceptable. Interior is very quiet and comfortable, my first 5-hour road trip flew by. Can't wait to see what quattro can do in the snow.

Favorite Features

Handling, handling, handling - more important than raw horsepower. This car just wants to go and the 6spd lets you maneuver when you need to. Quiet, no rattles or squeaks (incl. brakes) as I've seen others report.

Suggested Improvements

More rear-seat legroom. I don't mind the cupholder/armrest thing that much, you can use the front cupholder and armrest without a problem, it's only when you have a tall cup in the rearmost holder. Rear seats that fold flatter. iPod interface could be smarter and show playlist names.