Used 2007 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Disappointed - Oil Consumption Nightmare
By jbgjresq

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased car just off lease at approx 52K miles. My wife is the primary driver doing a 14 mile RT work commute. Car was always maintained by dealer while on lease. Overall a great car to drive but (big but) the greatness is negated by the incredibly excessive oil consumption. Right away I noticed the oil consumption issue. Even after oil changes (always 100% synthetic) it uses approx 1 qt every ~400 miles. Doing a quantitative test now down to the mile and pint. I am so disappointed at this example of Audi german engineering. In 40 years of car ownership, I have never seen this issue with any other properly maintained domestic or imported car or truck. In a word - "disappointed"

Favorite Features

Handling Ergonomic cabin layout Sound system and satellite radio Comfort Best seat and wheel adjustment variety and range I have ever seen in car or truck. (The Shaq could comfortably fit in here.)

Suggested Improvements

Big turbo lag from a dead stop - almost feels like engine has stalled. Inexplicable oil consumption issue. Absolutely no excuse for a well maintained german engineered vehicle in this class/price range to inexplicably use oil at this rate and, in this quantity.

Audi low oil-Warning light
By noaudi4

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought Used Audi A4-2.0 issues right from get go..low oil 1 quart. Took car to Audi dealer they inspected it for me. Everything looks great! 9500 miles later check engine light comes on. Take to Mechanic to run code. Code is saying belt slippage. Took to dealer right away. Waterpump, timing belt replaced. Noticed timing not correct still so they tore valve covers off, replaced timing chains and tensioners. Found debris in screens around cam gear. Found debris in oil pan from oil filter? Changed oil with only synthetic oil every 3000 miles so i dont get it? I am out $2500.00 dollars still and car in shop still with timing problems? Done with AUDI buy a BMW with timing chain and dependable.

Favorite Features

none-But lawyer ready to go....!

Suggested Improvements

new motors with 150,000 mile warranty.

Oil Consumption issues resolved
By carissa

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is for all consumers having Oil Consumption issues. I purchased my 07 A4 used with 54,500 miles on it. Right away I noticed the oil consumption problem. I tracked the consumption for about 10,000 miles and made sure the dealership knew the mileage everytime I had to put another qt in. The light was coming on down to just less than a 1000 miles to add a qt. I paid the out of pocket expense and the test came back that there was an issue. Audi Corp covered 85% of the repair and the dealership I purchased from, Elk Grove Audi, covered the remaining balance. Audi replaced the Piston rings. I now have close to 8000 miles since replacement and holding strong. Added 1 qt at 5000 mi.

Favorite Features

For its class, the seats are more comfortable than BMW 3 series and C Class. Love the sporty body styling.

Suggested Improvements

Audi needs to recall for the Oil Consumption Problems. Would be nice if others had a Dealership like Elk Grove Audi to take responsibly and just fix the problems instead of turning Audi owners away like they don't know anything about the car. They forget, we drive these vehicles everyday, they don't.

Fantastic after 112k miles
By ketchup77

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my A4 new in July 2007 and I have NEVER had an issue with it after 112k miles. Sure it burns oil a bit, but keep a quart in the trunk and your good to go. This is a car that is fun to drive and built solid. The only complaint I have is the glove box hing broke and they wanted hundreds to replace the whole thing...not me...I went and bought a 2 dollar hinge at Ace Hardware and screwed it in and it works great. I hope to keep my A4 for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Great gas milage and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Glove Box hinge needs to be more durable.

Massive and frequent transmission failures
By cnd1

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

A more detailed report of my experience has been posted on NHTSA.GOV. The first transmission failed and was replaced under OEM warranty by an authorized Audi dealer at 36,120 miles. It continued to have mechanical issues such as shuttering, vibration, hesitation, leaks, etc. The 2nd transmission failed at 55,600 miles (less than 20,000 miles on the "new" transmission) while on the freeway traveling at 70 MPH. It occurred without warning. The car shifted into park, bucked and refused to accelerate. The 3rd transmission was installed under the Audi Pure Platinum Protection service, and after only 1,000 miles on the "new" transmission. it is showing signs of failing again.

Favorite Features

Little redeeming factors with a car that has been serviced more than 15 times in the three years I have owned it.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently the CVT transmission for this vehicle is known to be problematic. I am unaware if this has been resolved in the newer models. I can say that based on my experience, Audi Customer Relations cares little about the reliability, safety and performance of their vehicles.