Used 2006 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Fantastic Car
By antonioa4

2006 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my 2006 A4 for about a year now and it runs like a champ. Had 85k on the odometer and since I've put another 15k this year. The car is great in every way. It looks great, classy, good performance for a sedan, and very comfy. Also the car its self is very reliable BUT I feel that many previous owners will not take good care of the car. These cars are very picky and need premium fuel, synthetic oil changes, etc. Before you buy make sure the previous owner took care of the car because maintenance and repair costs do add up. This year alone I've spent about $1500 in maintenance including, transmission fluid, tune up, brakes, fuel cleaning, new turbo etc. But all in all great car!

Looks, quality, AWD, reliability.

Not so great on gas, maintenance and parts can be expensive.

One of my best purchases!
By ambermg

2006 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm the 4th owner, and purchased this car after a GREAT deal of researching for 2 weeks.
I bought this car in 2011 (it was 5 model years old then) with 54k miles on the clock, and have been pleasantly surprised by its reliability.
In the 2 years and 3 months I've owned my Audi, I've only spent $300 on service that wasn't routine maintenance.
At 72k miles I had to replace the turbo recirculation valve.
At the local Audi dealership they replaced several parts that weren't even on a recall and despite the fact that my car was WAY out of warranty...all at no charge, and topped it off with a complimentary car wash and synthetic oil change.

One of the things that surprises me most about this car is the tight turning radius. It's incredible! For a 4 door sedan it turns better than a coupe. It's comfortable, it's adaptive and it seems to have its own personality! The stereo is great, the dual climate controls and heated front seats are awesome, and there are so many different front seating adjustments you can make the car fit you instead of you fitting to the car. It has a nice sized trunk, plenty-big backseat, and has stood up to all kinds of abuse from 2 moves so far.

The only major complaint I really have about my Audi is the horrible low-end engine performance. I rarely take my car above 2,000 RPM and unless you go to nearly 4,000 RPM it feels like you're driving a slug. Also, there are a couple of buttons such as a MODE button on the steering wheel that has no function in my car as it wasn't a selected option I suppose, but it seems like a lack of attention to detail to leave a useless button in the car. That being said I have owned over a dozen different brands of cars and this is by far in my top 2 favorites. My next car will most definitely be another Audi!

Money to blow?
By auditempe

2006 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you have money to blow, and you want a flashy, luxurious, thrilling sports car then you need an Audi A4 Quattro. The car is a rock star.
HOWEVER: If you don't have a spare $5000 to blow at all times, this car is not for you. Even if you take obsessive care of it, the car will have problems (I'm quoting the Audi service rep Britney at Audi Chandler, Arizona). My AC blew out, $2500 to fix.
She said it happens all the time!!?? I constantly have to replace interior parts like the glove box cover, dash case, and shift knob compartment.
Repairs routinely cost over $1200. Combine with $1200 regular maintenence and you have a serious ethical decision to make. Is it worth it? Not for me. Honda!

Parts cost two to three times as much as Honda parts. A glove box lid cost me $800!!! Service fees are four times as much as Honda dealerships. They give you a free rental car, but is it worth it for hundreds of dollars? No. Mechanisms are complicated sometimes for no reason (i.e. the wiper blades). Aftermarket parts are hard to find. Gas mileage is astronomical, because you have to use premium octane gas at the pump. You lose about a thousand dollars in value every year for mileage, and another thousand dollars every year for model year ($2000 total). It becomes even harder to sell because luxury sports cars are a limited market, that often buys new.

The experience of ownership was fun while it lasted, but now that I am near bankruptcy I am desperate to sell. I want my Honda back so bad, but I have to sell my moneypit Audi first. DO NOT drive an Audi that is out of warranty. Period. I also didn't like that as a working class guy, I was looked down upon by the clientele and the staff at the dealership. I had some custumers actually walk in front of me and talk over me while talking with a sales rep. He was a doctor waiting to pick up his R8. The sales rep didn't mind. All in all, my Audi A4 Quattro was a waste of money, even considering how nice of a car it is. Unless overly wealthy, you'll worry about small scratches while driving

Very Satisfied
By rms572

2006 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've read all the gripes about reliability and maintenance costs, and wonder if it's just the owners of the lemons using this forum to let off some steam. Suppose I'd do the same, actually, but I've been really happy with our Audi. Its design is understated, not flashy, almost utilitarian, but very classy. It's stood the test of time well and looks as good as any of the current models. As for reliability, we've really had no major issues. As NYC drivers, we put the wheels and tires to the test on our pitiful roads, and thus have changed many tires. This is really my only gripe, but that can hardly be blamed on the car.

Clean design. Well appointed interior. Feels very solid inside and out. 6 years and 75k miles later, it still drives like it just rolled off the lot. The road feel is excellent without causing me to lose a filling or have a concussion each time I hit a pothole -- stiff, but not like a BMW. Good materials inside. Buttons and handles feel solid. Decent gas mileage, but not as great as advertised. (I'm generally getting 27-29 hwy with two passengers.) Best feature of all: Quattro. It's no joke. This car runs circles around fwd and many 4wd cars in snow. We've had two instances where we felt it slip in a very scary way, but the awd recovered in about a second.

Headrests are a tad too forward. Cupholders beneath the armrest are good for maybe an espresso cup if you want to use the armrest. Anything taller will tip it at an angle.

My first car
By waiting119

2006 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Steering wheel can be heavier but handling is great in general. The brake is sometimes not responsive enough esp when going downhill, but since the brake pads havent been replaced for quite a while already that is perfectly normal & I could tell the brake will be awesome once i get the pads replaced. Engine is a 1.8T but I consider it more than powerful enough for a new driver driving in a small city like HK. I especially love driving it on highways and it is always ready to offer you a pep whenever you need/want it - so overtaking can be done at ease. It runs stably & noise isolation is great.
Awesome interior build quality.

Powerful engine - loads of pep at your toe tips. Classy interior design and great build quality - you can hardly tell it's an used car unless you inspect the interior like a coroner - some minor signs of wearing on a few of the buttons (fyi they are replaceable), which is of little concern to me in any event.

A little hesitation at start-up. Music lovers be warned - the stock audio system does not connect to iPods or any other mp3 players. That is a minor problem anyway since nowadays you can easily install another audio player into your car at a low cost - or high if you wish to.