Used 2006 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Money to blow?
By auditempe

2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you have money to blow, and you want a flashy, luxurious, thrilling sports car then you need an Audi A4 Quattro. The car is a rock star. HOWEVER: If you don't have a spare $5000 to blow at all times, this car is not for you. Even if you take obsessive care of it, the car will have problems (I'm quoting the Audi service rep Britney at Audi Chandler, Arizona). My AC blew out, $2500 to fix. She said it happens all the time!!?? I constantly have to replace interior parts like the glove box cover, dash case, and shift knob compartment. Repairs routinely cost over $1200. Combine with $1200 regular maintenence and you have a serious ethical decision to make. Is it worth it? Not for me. Honda!

Favorite Features

Parts cost two to three times as much as Honda parts. A glove box lid cost me $800!!! Service fees are four times as much as Honda dealerships. They give you a free rental car, but is it worth it for hundreds of dollars? No. Mechanisms are complicated sometimes for no reason (i.e. the wiper blades). Aftermarket parts are hard to find. Gas mileage is astronomical, because you have to use premium octane gas at the pump. You lose about a thousand dollars in value every year for mileage, and another thousand dollars every year for model year ($2000 total). It becomes even harder to sell because luxury sports cars are a limited market, that often buys new.

Suggested Improvements

The experience of ownership was fun while it lasted, but now that I am near bankruptcy I am desperate to sell. I want my Honda back so bad, but I have to sell my moneypit Audi first. DO NOT drive an Audi that is out of warranty. Period. I also didn't like that as a working class guy, I was looked down upon by the clientele and the staff at the dealership. I had some custumers actually walk in front of me and talk over me while talking with a sales rep. He was a doctor waiting to pick up his R8. The sales rep didn't mind. All in all, my Audi A4 Quattro was a waste of money, even considering how nice of a car it is. Unless overly wealthy, you'll worry about small scratches while driving

Very Satisfied
By rms572

2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've read all the gripes about reliability and maintenance costs, and wonder if it's just the owners of the lemons using this forum to let off some steam. Suppose I'd do the same, actually, but I've been really happy with our Audi. Its design is understated, not flashy, almost utilitarian, but very classy. It's stood the test of time well and looks as good as any of the current models. As for reliability, we've really had no major issues. As NYC drivers, we put the wheels and tires to the test on our pitiful roads, and thus have changed many tires. This is really my only gripe, but that can hardly be blamed on the car.

Favorite Features

Clean design. Well appointed interior. Feels very solid inside and out. 6 years and 75k miles later, it still drives like it just rolled off the lot. The road feel is excellent without causing me to lose a filling or have a concussion each time I hit a pothole -- stiff, but not like a BMW. Good materials inside. Buttons and handles feel solid. Decent gas mileage, but not as great as advertised. (I'm generally getting 27-29 hwy with two passengers.) Best feature of all: Quattro. It's no joke. This car runs circles around fwd and many 4wd cars in snow. We've had two instances where we felt it slip in a very scary way, but the awd recovered in about a second.

Suggested Improvements

Headrests are a tad too forward. Cupholders beneath the armrest are good for maybe an espresso cup if you want to use the armrest. Anything taller will tip it at an angle.

One of my best purchases!
By ambermg

2006 Audi A4 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm the 4th owner, and purchased this car after a GREAT deal of researching for 2 weeks. I bought this car in 2011 (it was 5 model years old then) with 54k miles on the clock, and have been pleasantly surprised by its reliability. In the 2 years and 3 months I've owned my Audi, I've only spent $300 on service that wasn't routine maintenance. At 72k miles I had to replace the turbo recirculation valve. At the local Audi dealership they replaced several parts that weren't even on a recall and despite the fact that my car was WAY out of warranty...all at no charge, and topped it off with a complimentary car wash and synthetic oil change.

Favorite Features

One of the things that surprises me most about this car is the tight turning radius. It's incredible! For a 4 door sedan it turns better than a coupe. It's comfortable, it's adaptive and it seems to have its own personality! The stereo is great, the dual climate controls and heated front seats are awesome, and there are so many different front seating adjustments you can make the car fit you instead of you fitting to the car. It has a nice sized trunk, plenty-big backseat, and has stood up to all kinds of abuse from 2 moves so far.

Suggested Improvements

The only major complaint I really have about my Audi is the horrible low-end engine performance. I rarely take my car above 2,000 RPM and unless you go to nearly 4,000 RPM it feels like you're driving a slug. Also, there are a couple of buttons such as a MODE button on the steering wheel that has no function in my car as it wasn't a selected option I suppose, but it seems like a lack of attention to detail to leave a useless button in the car. That being said I have owned over a dozen different brands of cars and this is by far in my top 2 favorites. My next car will most definitely be another Audi!

My First Audi
By JFW

2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned an Acura, 2 Hondas, a Volvo, Chevy Blazer, and 2 Land Rover Discoverys and now an Audi. Based on my experience so far, I will hopefully own nothing but Audis going forward. This is a wonderful car. Build quality and fit and finish are superb. I have never felt safer in any car. Even with the 2.0 litre engine, acceleration is very spirited (even though there is some hesitation at take-off) and I find myself cruising well above the legal limit without even realizing it. Living in the mid-Atlantic area, I was hesitant to give up 4WD from my Land Rover, so quattro was a major factor in choosing the Audi. Looked at the 3-Series BMW, but the Audi is a much more impressive vehicle.

Favorite Features

Quality feel, quattro makes it feel incredibly secure on wet or dry surfaces, extremely quiet interior, spirited acceleration, fuel economy (nice to get something above the avg 11 mpg I used to get in my Land Rover).

Suggested Improvements

Improve engine tone and vibration while idling at lights as well as eliminate the initial hesitation experienced when accelerating from a stop (although this is not as prevalent when accelerating hard).

Highly recommended
By jasonppn

2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Many people complain about expensive maintenance. If you are like me and do your own maintenance, there is very little you have to do or pay. I have an OBD II computer that I use whenever the check engine light comes on (not often). I bought it with 55,000 miles on it, it now has 87,000. I've had to replace a coil pack (easy fix, $37 and 1 hour of my own labor), divertor valve ($150, 2 hours labor), and that is all. To change your oil, it is handy if you have the Audi tool ($100) for cartridge style oil filters (you'll have a mess if you don't), but you can make your own pretty easily out of a hose and the right diameter bottle. The car drives absolutely beautifully, couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission: this is a fun car with that transmission. AWD: this car is very responsive and has a tight feeling. Although I don't like driving it on dirt roads and in the snow, it is very good in those conditions. Confidence boosting for sure. I especially notice this when driving other cars in these conditions, they don't perform nowhere close to the Audi.

Suggested Improvements

When driving long distances, I sometimes find my right knee rubbing on the center console awkwardly. This isn't noticeable on short trips, but after awhile I notice it. It's most likely just my posture though.