2005 Audi A4 Consumer Review: I finally got one!

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

1.8T Avant quattro Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

I finally got one!
By quattro guy in FL on

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having lusted over the A4 Avant for many years, my time has finally come! I just picked up the last 05 (old style) Avant at my dealer's on Dec 31. Light silver w ebony interior, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather & Sound pkgs. A manual tranny would have been my preference, but I'm already getting spoiled w the auto. It's tighter in the back seat than my '02 Saab 9-5, but the build quality, steering, stereo w XM, and yes, the performance, are top-notch. I can't wait for my first road trip in this baby.

Exterior styling-C&D magazine nailed it yrs ago, "best-looking wagon on earth". Stereo (too many choices! XM/ CD changer or local tunes). Excellent ride, even w sport pkg. Steering/ handling are fantastic. Twist-control sunroof. AT shifts much smoother than 06 2.0T loaner I drove for 3 days.

Power seats on both sides would be nice, as would the stereo controls on steering wheel. Fuel economy? Only 150 miles on it but trip computer says 17.5 mpg, mostly interstate on my commute. Hopefully will improve as engine breaks in. Owners manual could be better for diff features.