Used 2005 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Class wears a sport coat
By Tony

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having owned the A4 now for just over a year, I thought it was time to give my impressions. If you are looking for a red light racer, keep looking. If you want a car that handles VERY well, accelerates good enough, but does so with a classy, polished feel, then this is a car you should check out. The sport package gives the A4 a flat, smooth ride, balanced handling, and good cornering. The AWD and ESP provides the driver with confidence in snowy, slushy, and icy conditions. I average 33 mpg highway (at 70mph)/23 city stop and go. Interior is superb with everything right where you want it. If you are looking at BMW 3 series, Acura TL/TSX, or Infinity G35's, give the A4 a look, too.

AWD, fit and finish, handling (in good and bad weather), and I love the red interior ambient light at night. Everything just "feels" right. Also, I'll never again be able to have a car without xenon headlights. Amazing brightness and clarity in all conditions.

Since my A4 is the last of the 1.8T models, the somewhat sluggish engine has already been replaced by a gusty 2.0T (kudos to Audi). Harder windshield glass. Drivers memory seat would have been nice, too.

Good choice
By JES

2005 Audi A4 Sedan New 2.0T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I checked out and drove a Saab 9-3, Acura RL, and Volvo S 40 and 60 before settling on the A4. The 2.0 T and the new transmission work together for power and excellent gas mileage (the EPA projections are pretty darn close to right so far.) The quattro drive was probably the tipper over the other cars, providing more stability in the curves. If I had a few more available bucks, I would have definitely gone with the convertible version. Good for city and road.

I had been driving a Land Rover product and wanted something that didn't suck down gasoline. The turbo, quattro and auto/manual 6-speed transmission make it fun and efficient. The new larger, lower front grill gives it a tougher appearance.

The center console wall seems to crowd my right knee a little.

Don't trust Audi warranty
By A.A.

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

There is no doubt that the A4 has been fun to drive and the Quattro's performance is unmatched. But after driving the car for 2+ years it has become very loose with all kinds of interior/exterior noises. My brakes' rotors are already warped and Audi service and Customer care are telling me that it is not covered under warranty because of "outside influences stemming from overheating caused by riding on the brakes and braking too hard". This seems like a lame excuse not to cover damage to brakes caused by normal driving.

Quattro

Better craftsmanship in the interior, better armrests, more leg room in the rear and better support of the warranty.

Love it....BUT....
By MooseCT

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven this car for 11 months now. There are some drawbacks that I can live with (cup holders, seat control location, awkward reverse gear) since the drive is really nice. The cup holders are almost useless. The seat controls on the drivers side can easily be activated by accident while exiting the car. The reverse is a push-stick-down and forward left which is the same direction as first gear. Guess I am just used to the right-and-back reverse on every other car I have owned.

Corners as if on rails. Good acceleration and high fun-to-drive factor. Great Bose Audio and Xenon lights. Love the XM. The heated seats are the best of any I've had. Great EPS for safety. Better than expected gas mileage (I get 30-32 on Hiway)

Don't put cup holders in the armrest. What's with the doorlock behind the armrest in the center? My kids hit that all the time. Please reduce the number of beeps when exiting(lights on, turn signal lever on, keys in ignition; The fasten seat belt beep is REALLY annoying when I am sitting parked.

Great little car
By justtara

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car about 2 months ago for my wife and I have to say she LOVES it. I can't get her out of it, she has put 4000 miles on the car in a month. I have driven it 5 time since we've had it. I was not sure about buying a 4-cyl car, after having a 6- cyl 2003 Maxima with 255 hp but the Audi's performaces is very suprising for a 4-cyl car and the Quattro AWD system is awesome in bad weather. I can't wait for it to snow, so I can really have some fun. I recommend this car for anyone who wants a sport sedan.

It is a blast to drive with Quattro Awd system. The handling is awesome. The quality of the way the car is built. The 17" wheel with the sport suspention, the headlight washers, the cold weather package, xenon lighting, premium interior, Bose system. Gas mileage is great too.

Memory seats should be standard on all A4's and they should add a power and heated steering wheel.