Used 2005 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Really nice car with a few annoyances
By sean

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro Special Ed. AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I leased the car, a 2005.5, for 3 years. Very good handling + smooth ride combo. Fairly quiet for a sporty car. AWD is great, especially in foul weather.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice ride with great handling.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in this model pops out from the dash, which is just a bad idea. Also, the display for the satellite radio seemed like an afterthought. It cut off things like sports scores when listening to sporting events on XM, song title, artist, etc. Annoying for a $40k car.

Better than my grand cherokee in snow
By Dave

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall great vehicle, and I am happy with it. No major problems, although minor annoyances have been an issue. The paint job on the bumpers is horrible (but I attribute this to the dealership that sold me the car, not AUDI), and in the winter I have this annoying squeal that comes from the engine compartment (all the dealership will do is grease things down, which works for about a day). Car is great in snow, an amazingly comfortable ride (I do not have the sport suspension), great fuel economy (33 mpg highway easy, although mpg suffers horribly in the cold months). Some improvements can be made, but overall the car is great for me, an incredibly picky car person.

Favorite Features

fold down rear seats, quattro (seriously this car is better in the snow than my 4wd v8 grand cherokee), Manual Tranny with AWD (who else does this? only bmw and subaru), first aid kit, all auto windows

Suggested Improvements

seat comfort - could be a little softer, bigger engine, better stock stereo, paint quality (my front bumper has a million chips in it, although I believe the Mazda dealer I bought it from repainted the bumper poorly before selling it), wider ski sack (fit a snowboard)

Looks good, but...
By ky_j

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When I initially purchased the car in Jan 09 I was excited. Now, Nov 09 I'm kicking myself for selling my Toyota. Since I've owned it I've replaced ALL four ignition coils. Two in one day once! The passenger window regulator needs to be replaced and the A/C compressor is failing and leaking. The gas mileage is dismal for a 4-cylinder engine. I mostly commute on the freeway and only get about 22mpg on premium fuel. The Quattro system is noisy as well.

Favorite Features

Great looking car. Nice interior. Quattro system is great for slippery conditions. Sound system has amazing clarity.

Suggested Improvements

Focus on the quality of your parts. Simple parts like ignition coils should not fail. Window regulators should last forever. Save the fancy features and concentrate on making cars that people can have faith in.

Still Love This Car...
By mll

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have owned; granted it is my first Audi. After 4 years, I still love driving this car. It has great pick-up, is excellent on snow (we also own a 4WD SUV and the AWD A4 is much better) and has been extremely reliable. It still looks like new and I still get compliments on the look of it (I like the exterior design more than today's model). I don't know what I'll do when it's time to replace it!

Favorite Features

It is so much fun to drive - it hugs the road - is extremely responsive and very fast. I have to really pay attention to my speed - it's easy to be way over the limit.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more room in the backseat - but it's plenty for my little guy who rides back there most often.

Disappointed of Audi
By Ronny L.

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro Special Ed. AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Loved my VW Golf build in Germany. My Audi, is a not a total disaster but fighting with Audi NA about quality issues. My headlights were a rain forest. Audi won't fix nor address this issue. I did my own fix to it. If you buy an Audi, make sure you find an independent shop that works on your car for about 40% to 60% less than an Audi dealer otherwise your are paying too much. I will not buy an Audi again. It is a super fun car to drive in rain and snow. This is not comparable to any other cars I ever had. Also, make sure you grease the wiper transmission, this is also an Audi quality issue. Make sure you get a Certified Pre-owned (CPO) if you buy a used Audi.

Favorite Features

Suspension, interior, build, handling on wet surface and snow,

Suggested Improvements

leg room, quality, customer service by Audi NA,