Used 2005 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Awful, awful, AWFUL!
By BethanyE

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have replaced: the crank shaft, the A/C compressor, the fuel injector pump, tires TWICE in 2.5 years (I'm a girl - I don't ride this car hard at all), the air intake, headlights x 13 (there are an insane amount of headlights in this car). I would have been better off (and happier) riding the bus.

Favorite Features

I love things about this car that you can get with many others - 6 disc CD changer, moon roof, leather, etc., but it's not worth wasting money to upkeep this car to have all that. Seriously, don't get one.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that is reliable - that's my only suggestion for improvement.

Amazing car
By Chris

2005 Audi A4 Sedan New 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car about 4 or 5 months ago, and i love it. For a V6 it seems far more powerful than a V6 on any other car. Not only does the engine feel powerful, but it sounds amazing, I always used to listen to the radio, but now generally leave it on a low volume so i can listen to the engine. The interior is not made for a 6-speed, as the armrest covers the cut hold and hand-break, so i would recommend an auto. I've had some problems with the headlight bulbs, which are decently costly, but that's natural as I'm approaching 100k miles. I baby this car though, i clay and wax it several times a year, definitely feels like a show car that's fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Everything -- engine, appearance, AWD system (quattro), the comfort, smooth cornering, handling.

Suggested Improvements

The design of the interior (the armrest covering the cup holder and hand break, which has been addressed and fixed on Audi's B8 new models. (2009+)

A4 has performance but costly repairs
By td

2005 Audi A4 Sedan New 2.0T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love to drive this car. The performance is great the ride is like you are glued to the road even when traveling well over 100 miles per hour.The problem is when dealer warranty runs out and you only have extended the little constant repairs are very costly. The windows have a really bad problem with their regulators ($500/window) that I have had to replace on three windows. The trunk latch ($450) is a problem. Compressor went out ($1700). Timing belt is $1650 to replace. All of these things have been problematic for me and the car only has 79,000 miles at this point. I had a 2003 and it had all of the same problems, repairs, and the transmission went out in it costing $10,000. Just beware

Favorite Features

Quattro system, stereo, acceleration, handling

Suggested Improvements

better warranty or trade these in quickly and often

Great Car, but it has its Highs and Lows
By James G

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro Special Ed. AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Audi A4 Ultrasport since 2006 when I bought it with 12K miles and it looked brand spanking new. It now has 138K miles on it and a lot of story's to tell. The car looks great, I get compliments on it all the time. The car gets decent gas millage (22 combined, 28+ on road trips) and is fairly mechanically sound, but has had many little things go wrong with it which adds up to a great annoyance. The car is expensive to own especially if you want everything working properly and looking good, I was used to Honda's before and the Germans clearly have a different outlook on vehicles. My take; Great car for the enthusiasts, not for your average commuter.

Favorite Features

- Exterior/Interior Styling - Convenient Placed Controls - Decent Gas Millage - Rear Trunk Space / Full Sized Spare - Driver Leg Room (I'm 6'6" and fit great) not as great with rear passengers bigger then an infant - Engine Reliability

Suggested Improvements

- Better Performance ( You NEED an Aftermarket Chip) - Better build quality(Broken; Passenger windows, glove box, power steering, fuel pump, center console, visor, etc...) - More Rear seat space, its hard to take road trips with 4 ppl - High Cost of Ownership - Premium fuel without the performanc

Worst Car I have ever bought!!!
By durank

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car was fine until the warranty ran out. I kept every service appointment with my car on time at only the Audi dealership and took excellent care of my car having it detailed each spring. Within a year of the warranty expiring my car would not start and at 62,000 miles and four years old my car needed a new $13,000 engine!!! The dealership told me they could not determine the cause and would not take care of any of the cost, which were more than the car was worth. They offered me nothing for a trade in and no deals on purchasing a new Audi, no financing. Audi does not stand by their cars or customers.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Complete overhaul of the company