Used 2005 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great car but...
By Keith

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Well, it is a great car. Convertible and great gas mileage. Fun to drive and gorgeous to look at. I recommend that you buy one if you can but make sure that it comes with a warranty. These cars cost a lot of money to fix when they break and make sure that the dealer will take care of the problem for you. My 05 A4 at 38k just encountered a transmission problem and I never thought that I would have any kind of problem with this car that involved the transmission. My warranty expired 3 months ago and the cost to fix is $1600 for a modulator. The next thing that I'm going to purchase for this car is a warranty. But it is a great car!

Favorite Features

Convertible, leather seating, power for the engine size, great on gas, roomy for a little car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions shouldn't have a problem under 50k. The only improvement that I could think of is a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Why not? It cost enough to own!

Nice car but get extended warranty
By peaceandloveca

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0. I LOVE MY CAR! The only thing is that when you have issues, it's EXPENSIVE! I bought my Audi with 60K miles on it in 2008. Yes, quite a bit of miles on it already, but it looked brand new. I paid $23K out which incl a 4 year/100K mi warranty. I had to replace the transmission computer but that was covered under Audi warranty (just for CA I was told). No coverage - looking at almost $2K! There are too many electrical "gadgets" on this car NOT to have an extended warranty unless you buy new. Other then a blown fuse that controlled the top and trunk (only $2.99 for a pack of fuses) and the start of a coolant leak (yikes) no issues. I currently have 77K mi.

Favorite Features

At night, the red lights on dash, middle console and doors illuminate. It's GORGEOUS. Seat warmers for the front seats (a must for convertibles), roomy trunk (when top is up you can expand trunk space), sports driving mode and manual mode options when you want some added pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in arm rest are USELESS! You have to keep the lid of the armrest up when using cup holders which gets in the way. Emergency break is under arm rest. Not all that roomy for backseat passengers, but still ok. Audi Symphony sound system is "decent". Get the Bose option if you can.

Used but perfect!!
By PWH

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After looking around for a new A4 Cab, I decided to save some bucks and get one with all the bells and whistles. No disappointments here... great car, perfect size, appointments and styling. I've had many near and full luxury autos... this one's the best. All the performance but with an understated brand. Love this car!

Favorite Features

Cabriolet... all controls and neat electronic features.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are in awkward spots. Not too upset though.

The worst car I have ever owned
By clark alley

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The A4 Audi Cabrolet was a disaster from the start. Between the car's computer problems (brake and the accelerator not coordinated correctly, windows not closing as designed, timer not resetting, top not going down or up, etc...) Audi is a bad choice for a car of your dreams. Not only did Audi fail to fix the problems, Audi 1-800 # was useless: they sided with the dealers on most everything. Audi would not let me meet an Audi Rep to go over my concerns. They blame almost everything on owner abuse. There are too many other things that didn't work to mention. Think twice before you buy an Audi, unless you have deep pockets and enjoy the mental stress of dealing with a bottom line company.

Favorite Features

Insrumentation cluster, Bose radio, gas mileage, trunk space (no golf clubs), comfortable seating, styling and appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Audi should be a customer concerned company in lieu of a company that only cares about the bottom line. Their bad reputation from the 5000 series cars lives on. A bumper to bumper warranty is just that; don't blame the design and performance defects on the consumer.

A fun car in all respects
By AudiLover

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I parted with a '93 Toyota Supra for my Audi 3.0 Quattro convertible. It has it all---style, performance, luxury, all wheel drive, comfort---the whole package. I've been nothing but pleased with the car. For style + safety, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

The coolest "whistle" to me is the side view mirrors retract electronically if you're in a tight parking space & the right mirror automatically tilts down (if set that way) when you back up, so you can see the curb or ground to the right. The convertible's wind screen is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

If there's a negative about this car, it's only the cup holder and it could use some work. Not much else needs improving!