Used 2005 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Don't be fooled by Das Vagen
By JJW

2005 Audi A4 Wagon New 2.0T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The vast majority of SUV owners avoid mud and rocks but everyone thinks they need one. Wagons are underpriced because they are not fashionable and that works for me. More versatile than a sedan and as much interior space as most small SUVs. Split rear seats have plenty of legroom. The Audi Vagen is best of both worlds legendary AWD performance and handling.The 2.0 engine is peppy and when you select S "overdrive" outrageous acceleration. Leather power everything dual AC premium sound the list goes on. We bought the wagon 23,00 now at 45K could not be happier. Drives well carries dogs, bikes ,supplies. "Gets up and Audi's" on the highway. Only complaint they have stopped making wagons

Favorite Features

The beautiful sound of acceleration in S drive. Handling, versatility of the split seats Moon roof Comprehensive warranty understated elegance

Suggested Improvements

AC controls are low in the console making it a little tricky to make adjustments on the move. The gas cap lock is inside the door pocket and difficult to locate

Fun car but
By S_G_Y

2005 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Special Ed. AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased the car 9 months ago with 49,000 miles; seemingly low mileage for the year. So far the car has needed 2 ignition coils, a cam shaft adjustment, the coolant seal/gasket replaced and a wheel bearing replaced after racking-up a whopping 4,500 miles. Luckily the car was Certified Pre-owned, so actual out of pocket expenses have been next to nothing, other than time spent waiting at the dealership. This is a great driving car, and it's still under warranty for 16 more months, but dealership maintenance costs would be pushing $3000 after driving less than 5000 miles. Love the look and feel of the car, but worried about long term ownership expenses.

Favorite Features

Beautiful exterior design. Decent gas mileage for all-wheel drive. We had a lot of snow this winter and the Audi handled better than my old Jeep Wrangler. Seriously, Quattro makes these virtually unstoppable. Not really a "fast" car, but peppy and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe it's just bad timing, but with all of the parts that have needed replaced, I can't help but question the whole "German engineering" aspect.

I finally got one!
By quattro guy in FL

2005 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having lusted over the A4 Avant for many years, my time has finally come! I just picked up the last 05 (old style) Avant at my dealer's on Dec 31. Light silver w ebony interior, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather & Sound pkgs. A manual tranny would have been my preference, but I'm already getting spoiled w the auto. It's tighter in the back seat than my '02 Saab 9-5, but the build quality, steering, stereo w XM, and yes, the performance, are top-notch. I can't wait for my first road trip in this baby.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling-C&D magazine nailed it yrs ago, "best-looking wagon on earth". Stereo (too many choices! XM/ CD changer or local tunes). Excellent ride, even w sport pkg. Steering/ handling are fantastic. Twist-control sunroof. AT shifts much smoother than 06 2.0T loaner I drove for 3 days.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats on both sides would be nice, as would the stereo controls on steering wheel. Fuel economy? Only 150 miles on it but trip computer says 17.5 mpg, mostly interstate on my commute. Hopefully will improve as engine breaks in. Owners manual could be better for diff features.

In praise of the Audi A4
By Darrell

2005 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love nearly everything about by 2005 Audi A4 Avant. Although I've only driven it 5000 miles so far, I haven't had a single problem with it and the fun-to-drive factor is nearly off the scale. One quibble: I find the red numerals in the dash display hard to read. I'd vote for green instead. I'm averaging about 21 mpg around town -- not bad for a 255hp V-6. One caution: even in the Avant (wagon) version, cargo space is limited. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) I give the Audi A4 Avant quattro 3.0 a 9.5.

Favorite Features

Quiet, comfortable ride, great roadholding (especially in corners). The XM satellite radio is a great option, especially on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Stretch the wheelbase a little to add rear seat and cargo room. Get rid of the red numbers in the dash display; too hard to read.

Amazing Luxury and Performance Wagon
By AKD

2005 Audi A4 Wagon New 2.0T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We compared wagons from Audi, BMW, Saab, Volvo, and Mercedes, and loved the modern design and understated luxury of the A4 Avant. We ordered a manual with just a few options (premium package, wood trim, and 17" wheels). I got it last week from after 3 months of waiting -- it was well worth the wait. Photos do not really do the car justice. The big grill looks great in person, and the interior is simply the best in this class. The most surprising experience is the unbelievable performance from a 2.0 liter engine. Although the reliability of European cars was concerning, driving the Audi Avant puts a smile on my face that my past Hondas and Subarus never mustered.

Favorite Features

A blast to drive! The car behaves assuredly, like it's on rails. The turbo engine makes the Avant unbelievably lively, even with its heft and AWD system. The steering is perfect at all speeds. The dashboard and controls light up beautifully at night.

Suggested Improvements

Handbrake is awkard to use with the armrest down. Back seats needs more room (works fine for kids in car seats). The ride (even without the sports package) is a bit firm on uneven roads.