Used 2005 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi A4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Cute car with LOTS of problems
By zoiezoe

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I loved this car when I first bought it, but in a short time I had SO many problems with it, including problems with coils, compressor, air flow sensor, motor mounts, vacuum leak, and more. My engine burned up and they refused to replace under warranty because I was slightly over my oil change and therefore 'violated my warranty contract conditions' according to Audi, even though the delay was so minor it could not cause such a problem (sludge, not lack of oil). I later did a Google search for "Audi engine sludge" and found similar complaints from others. It's very difficult and expensive to fix. This car is adorable and fun to drive, but wow did it do damage to my wallet.

Favorite Features

It's a very adorable car, but is not worth the trouble.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the cute body style and great features of this car, but please make it less difficult and expensive to maintain mechanically.

Get extended warranty
By Wazzujon

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

It's fun to drive, kinda slow for you speed freaks. There's a blind spot when the top is up. Also had to replace my tranny at 51,500 miles. YES 1500 miles past warranty expiration. They paid for half. I think they should have paid for all. Now I am finding out they do not hold their value AT ALL! Very expensive car to drive. WON'T EVER BUY AN AUDI AGAIN! The Navi UI stinks and is very confusing.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, tranny.

Suggested Improvements

extending the warranty,

Fun to drive but MAJOR Flaws
By wazzujon

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the Audi with 36K miles 2 years ago. It now has 53K miles. While it was under warranty It was in the shop 3 times for semi major issues. I didn't care because it was under warranty and they gave me loaner cars. Then at 51,500 Miles the CVT TRANSMISSION went out. Yes AUDI paid for half, but they gave me 3 days to tell them to I would accept their offer. SO I had to pay $3500 out of pocket for something that would have been under warranty two months before. If you Google Audi and CVT transmissions and TCM's you will see there are hundreds of Audi's complaints about this. Yes it's fun to drive though.

Favorite Features

Convertible, Tiptronic Transmission

Suggested Improvements

Update the navi. I hate having to spin the nob to input letters and its not very intuitive. Need to install Blue tooth.

3.0 Quatro A4 Cabriolet
By Proservice

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I do enjoy this car since I first got it. The interior designed was great and so its interior: wooden dash, leather seats quality worth every pennies. There were few problems after 10k miles of driving like the cable to the trunk cover for convertible top, rear light bulb. The other major issues was the ignition coils that went bad, check engine light on. The dealership had it replaced no costs. The car has 30k miles and still running like new without any other issues. Overall, this car is the best so far since my past cars: Benz, Acura, Lexus. Plus, its convertible top and silver color made it stand out. I couldn't came up with any reason to get rid of it other than high payments.

Favorite Features

Red LED readout, convenient audio control, dual temp/control/Tiptronics shifting, great sound systems and AWD. Great GPS system, very accurate within inches of destination (Comparing with others 2010 GPS model on others cars such as Ford,GM in-accurate to a miles).

Suggested Improvements

cup holder can be better, rear view for backing can be lower or better design. Hand brake is interfered with arm rest.

It's worth it...
By jamieincolumbus

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The cvt transmission takes some time to get used to. This car is amazing, the top is great, gets decent gas mileage but requires premium. Audi does have problems with dealer communications... Seems you have to do your own research if you want anything fixed at the dealer. Discontinuedthe warranty is out it's going to an independent shop. It's a pain but totally worth it!

Favorite Features

Everything...

Suggested Improvements

dealer communications, a way to reset the service reminder easier