2005 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi A4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Cute car with LOTS of problems
By zoiezoe on 08/21/11 18:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I loved this car when I first bought it, but in a short time I had SO many problems with it, including problems with coils, compressor, air flow sensor, motor mounts, vacuum leak, and more. My engine burned up and they refused to replace under warranty because I was slightly over my oil change and therefore 'violated my warranty contract conditions' according to Audi, even though the delay was so minor it could not cause such a problem (sludge, not lack of oil). I later did a Google search for "Audi engine sludge" and found similar complaints from others. It's very difficult and expensive to fix. This car is adorable and fun to drive, but wow did it do damage to my wallet.

Get extended warranty
By Wazzujon on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

It's fun to drive, kinda slow for you speed freaks. There's a blind spot when the top is up. Also had to replace my tranny at 51,500 miles. YES 1500 miles past warranty expiration. They paid for half. I think they should have paid for all. Now I am finding out they do not hold their value AT ALL! Very expensive car to drive. WON'T EVER BUY AN AUDI AGAIN! The Navi UI stinks and is very confusing.

Fun to drive but MAJOR Flaws
By wazzujon on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the Audi with 36K miles 2 years ago. It now has 53K miles. While it was under warranty It was in the shop 3 times for semi major issues. I didn't care because it was under warranty and they gave me loaner cars. Then at 51,500 Miles the CVT TRANSMISSION went out. Yes AUDI paid for half, but they gave me 3 days to tell them to I would accept their offer. SO I had to pay $3500 out of pocket for something that would have been under warranty two months before. If you Google Audi and CVT transmissions and TCM's you will see there are hundreds of Audi's complaints about this. Yes it's fun to drive though.

3.0 Quatro A4 Cabriolet
By Proservice on 06/12/10 16:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I do enjoy this car since I first got it. The interior designed was great and so its interior: wooden dash, leather seats quality worth every pennies. There were few problems after 10k miles of driving like the cable to the trunk cover for convertible top, rear light bulb. The other major issues was the ignition coils that went bad, check engine light on. The dealership had it replaced no costs. The car has 30k miles and still running like new without any other issues. Overall, this car is the best so far since my past cars: Benz, Acura, Lexus. Plus, its convertible top and silver color made it stand out. I couldn't came up with any reason to get rid of it other than high payments.

It's worth it...
By jamieincolumbus on 11/14/09 22:33 PM (PST)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The cvt transmission takes some time to get used to. This car is amazing, the top is great, gets decent gas mileage but requires premium. Audi does have problems with dealer communications... Seems you have to do your own research if you want anything fixed at the dealer. Discontinuedthe warranty is out it's going to an independent shop. It's a pain but totally worth it!

Great car but...
By Keith on 10/23/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Well, it is a great car. Convertible and great gas mileage. Fun to drive and gorgeous to look at. I recommend that you buy one if you can but make sure that it comes with a warranty. These cars cost a lot of money to fix when they break and make sure that the dealer will take care of the problem for you. My 05 A4 at 38k just encountered a transmission problem and I never thought that I would have any kind of problem with this car that involved the transmission. My warranty expired 3 months ago and the cost to fix is $1600 for a modulator. The next thing that I'm going to purchase for this car is a warranty. But it is a great car!

Nice car but get extended warranty
By peaceandloveca on 08/30/09 22:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0. I LOVE MY CAR! The only thing is that when you have issues, it's EXPENSIVE! I bought my Audi with 60K miles on it in 2008. Yes, quite a bit of miles on it already, but it looked brand new. I paid $23K out which incl a 4 year/100K mi warranty. I had to replace the transmission computer but that was covered under Audi warranty (just for CA I was told). No coverage - looking at almost $2K! There are too many electrical "gadgets" on this car NOT to have an extended warranty unless you buy new. Other then a blown fuse that controlled the top and trunk (only $2.99 for a pack of fuses) and the start of a coolant leak (yikes) no issues. I currently have 77K mi.

Used but perfect!!
By PWH on 03/02/08 14:32 PM (PST)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After looking around for a new A4 Cab, I decided to save some bucks and get one with all the bells and whistles. No disappointments here... great car, perfect size, appointments and styling. I've had many near and full luxury autos... this one's the best. All the performance but with an understated brand. Love this car!

The worst car I have ever owned
By clark alley on 11/02/06 10:58 AM (PST)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The A4 Audi Cabrolet was a disaster from the start. Between the car's computer problems (brake and the accelerator not coordinated correctly, windows not closing as designed, timer not resetting, top not going down or up, etc...) Audi is a bad choice for a car of your dreams. Not only did Audi fail to fix the problems, Audi 1-800 # was useless: they sided with the dealers on most everything. Audi would not let me meet an Audi Rep to go over my concerns. They blame almost everything on owner abuse. There are too many other things that didn't work to mention. Think twice before you buy an Audi, unless you have deep pockets and enjoy the mental stress of dealing with a bottom line company.

A fun car in all respects
By AudiLover on 05/16/06 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I parted with a '93 Toyota Supra for my Audi 3.0 Quattro convertible. It has it all---style, performance, luxury, all wheel drive, comfort---the whole package. I've been nothing but pleased with the car. For style + safety, this is the car for you.

1 2 3 4 5 next »