2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Exceptional Car... Couldn't be happier!
By Saundra on 08/09/05 18:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The A4 is not only great looking and fuel efficient, but it is FUN to drive. The 170 hp and almost 170 lb feet of torque pack more than enough power. I get compliments on my car quite frequently. I am a reformed BMW driver. I will never go back. Quattro (the AWD system) has given me newfound confidence when I drive.

Is it just me? Or is it my A4?
By Winnietfor2 on 07/18/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Longtime lover of the Audi series. Friends all swore by A4's. I finally leased one in 2004. At first I was pleased, coming off of many high end japanese vehicle leases, but I have now been in the shop with a lot of little issues. Started out with driver's power window not closing. Then water leaks in dashboard window which led to freezing ice in winter on the INSIDE. (blamed on water drains clogged?!) Window broken again. Now a/c doesn't work and transmission not shifting properly on hills. Anyone else have these issues or just me? I love my car and I'm saddened by all the time it spends in the shop.

Even better than I expected
By Dan on 06/18/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We liked many things about the A4, but the seat comfort that sealed the deal. Had to order an unloaded model to keep cost under $30K. I worried about reliability issues, but with 18K miles the only issue has been an improperly installed headrest. We go 5 hours non stop & our 55 year old bodies have nary a complaint. Power is adequate at under 2,500 rpms, more than adequate over 2,500 - passes with ease. Biggest surprise is gas mileage (relatively conservative driving habits). 33-36 mpg on highway & 26-28 in urban driving. Great balance between ride & cornering, feels heavy & a bit mushy in a fast, tight turns, but great & no complaints for daily driving. CVT very smooth & slick.

A4 with sports package
By Scottt on 04/20/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned several cars including my most recent, a 2002 BMW 325i. Overall, I would rate this A4 as the best car I have owned. The exterior and especially the interior styling cannot be beat in this price range. I have the sports package with the interior aluminum trim and love it - very sporty and classy at the same time. Also, I love the lower profile, sleek look with the sports package. The ride suffers a bit with it as to be expected and there is not much noticeable improvement in handling IMHO, but still worth it for the look.

Always something wrong with it
By Kerstin on 04/18/05 23:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought my A4 in May 03. It was one problem after another. The trunk compartment for holding the top broke and needed to be replaced. The final straw was when the transmission needed to be replaced with only 9k on the car! It had been making some strange creaking noises but the dealer kept insisting it was just loose bolts they needed to tighten. After several visits to the shop, they finally determined that the transmission was defective. In 9 months of owning the car, it was probably in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. I would never buy another Audi. Very poor quality.

Best Car I've Ever Driven
By Kylieholt on 03/14/05 12:10 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Audi A4 is the most underestimated car on the market. I have always been drawn to its understated elegance, but in the past 3 years, Audi has really stepped up and started grabbing the attention of people who want luxury cars, but don't want to clone every other "wannabe" in that market. I have the A4 1.8T Quattro, Ultra Sport edition of the car. I have every possible option avaliable. It is the best car I have ever driven to be honest and I know I will be an Audi owner for life!

Very happy after ten months
By jeffjnewport on 02/24/05 22:21 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had the benefit of reading a bunch of reviews before buying my 2004 Audi A4 Avant, so I figured that I'd add my two cents to the mix. The Audi wasn't initially on my radar screen. I was looking to spend $20,000 on a used wagon that could handle snow (which my BMW 528E could not). I was taken by the Passat Wagon, drove it, then almost sprung for a new one, but I got spooked by the aggressive discounting by local dealers, which usually means bad resale value in a few years. Then I looked closely at the Saab 9-5, BMW 3-Series, and Audi A4 wagons. Considering handling, comfort, volume, price, re-sale, the Audi blew me away. Now ten months later, I can further confirm that this is a great car.

Perfect Car
By neverfollow on 01/26/05 12:16 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded in my 2001 Audi A4 quattro 5 speed for a 2004 A4 1.8T quattro 6 speed. I didn't opt for the sport package that was on my 2001 model. This made for a softer smoother ride which is nice since most driving is done sensibly and not pushing the limits (though that is amazingly fun in this car too). The 6 speed transmission is a must, it keeps the RPM's down at highway speeds. I never had any troubles with my 2001 model and have not experienced any so far with my 2004. It is fun to drive, a better value than BMW, and sportier then Mercedez-Benz. This is the perfect car!

Convertible Top Troubles
By Charles on 01/13/05 15:53 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This past December while lowering my soft top, I heard a rip. After raising the top, a small tear was noted. With Audi's inclusive warranty, I called Crown Eurocar (my dealer) and was given an appointment for 2 weeks. When the car went in to Crown the service department rep said, "yea it is ripped and would need to be replaced (first day lost;they had refused to just look at it without appt.). Returned 2 weeks later for repair.Loaner given and told it should take a day to repair. Next day the only tech who could repair it was out. Finally it was determined that a defect was responsible, the car had slipped quality control and the entire top had to be replaced (after ok from Audi)

It's a German car, not a Lexus
By ejad74 on 12/28/04 13:49 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Can out handle any Jap car. If you love to drive this is a great car. Audi is the car of the future. Audi is not about trendy; it's about the passion of driving. The style blows away BMW. Fit and finish is untouchable. Don't get me wrong Lexus makes a great car for my grandfather or G-Money man.... I just want to drive...