Used 2004 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Keeping my A4 Cab!
By Rich

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had Audis (3 of them) for 14 years. Historically problems, but this gorgeous green A4 3.0L 2004 cab has been great! Oh yeah, a minor electrical things telling me my satellite radio isn't working (although it does just fine!), but that's nothing. The car is so great to drive. Lacking a little on comfort for long trips, but that's no surprise. I have only 67K miles (about 5 years) and have no thoughts of looking for anything else. Can't come up with anything I'd enjoy driving more than this. And the wind screen is great, allowing me to put top down (windows and heater up) when sunny and 45 when dressed appropriately. I love this car!!!

Favorite Features

AWD Convertible!!! Wind screen Gorgeous interior Color (dark green/tan roof)

I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price
By Daryl

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this 10 months ego and after 10 months of pain and problems it has stranded us 180 miles from home at 11pm. We are replacing it with a Lexus RX300. This has needed new catalytic converters, coils,O2 sensors, control arms, wiper mechanism, trunk actuator. Sunroof is stuck, brake caliper is not working right and wears pads too fast on 1 side, tranny shifter gets stuck sometimes, 1 wheel is bent, power steering pump squeaks, and now the fuel pump gave up the ghost. All between 75k and 98k. First month we owned it, it spent 3 weeks in shops and 1 week on the road. Most parts are VW. I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price. Don't be a fool and buy one.

Favorite Features

nice interior and all wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Quality of parts, too many premature failures.

Beautifully refined car
By Eric

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the 3.0 A4 with UltraSport package. The rims and trim associated with this package turn this car into a head turner. My previous vehicle was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. Although it might be the slowest car in it's class, I love it. The biggest difference I experienced (compared to Japanese brands) is the attention to detail. Things such as storage under the seating, lights under each door to illuminate where you are going to step, and a cool hidden trunk release, just to name a few. It feels super solid on the road, especially in rain. I chose the 3.0 over the 1.8T because I don't want to deal with all the problems associated with high-mileage turbos.

Favorite Features

Active MPG reading, classy/elegant interior, body styling of UltraSport package, car feels firm/solid (not cheap and hollow like my previous car) and drives like its on rails.

Suggested Improvements

More HP, larger sway bar in the rear, more legroom in the back (headroom is fine for backseat passengers), but who cares, it's MY car anyway lol.

I got lucky
By JAG

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

As the original owner, now with 75,000 miles, I have only a few minor complaints about this, my favorite car of all time. Better handling, more comfortable and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus IS 250. The styling and performance are terrific. More power and better reliability than year models. One or the other of the tail lights have to be replaced every 6-12 months: I've now bought the tools and now do it myself. The cup holder is a bit flimsy, and the arm rest storage cover has an easily breakable hinge. Back seat leg room is very cramped for adults (a non issue for us 2 empty nesters). I just recently discovered the 12 volt socket in the trunk.

Favorite Features

Handling and power, fit and finish. Rear seats that fold down to increase "trunk" space.

Suggested Improvements

Better protection for the license plate and frame. Will bumper protection ever come back?

Ultra Sport with Ultra Repairs
By Ceizure

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is gorgeous. Dolphin grey ext & Black leather int. Looks like the S4, but with the economy of the 1.8T. It kills me that Audi makes such beautiful cars but can't make them reliable enough to compete with Japanese cars. In a year's time, I've replaced both front window regulators, the clutch, the center armrest, steering control arm, the stereo head unit and now scheduled items are coming up (timing, struts, brakes). This car only has 65k miles... Japanese typically don't fall apart until twice that. Audi does make a great car to lease. Only lease... which is unfortunate as most first time Audi buyers probably buy pre-owned and get turned off by the time they make enough to buy new.

Favorite Features

Look and style of car, AWD, decent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Window regulators that last 10 years (it's not new technology), plastic trim that doesn't peel up or break, and more robust suspension components.