2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Awsome!
By Hockyedude1234 on 05/30/08 16:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I now have had my A4 ultrasport for 4 years and 80000 miles. I have had no major problems. It is an awsome car and it is amazing to drive. I highly recomend this car!

Amazing car.
By 04A4 on 04/18/08 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my A4 back in January of this year after doing extensive research on everything from Acura, Lexus, BMW & Volvo. What truly sets this car apart is the fact it is AWD with luxury and ride comfort that I did not find in any of the above listed models. The interior styling makes the BMW 3-Series look cheap. I have never found so many compartments for storage in a vehicle like this either. The handling is amazing I drive in the catskill mountain range in southern NY and can't tell you how amazing this car handles. I've driven it through ice & snow even at 65mph this car feels like it's riding on rails. Go for a 6-speed manual to maintain a sports sedan feel. Amazing car!

Buying 2 more
By AudiLover on 03/16/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I cannot tell you how much I love this car. Coming from a previous Chevy Tahoe, this car is ridiculously built better and the mpg I get is 30 in town and around 35 on hwy. I love the top, mine's white body with blue top. I was warned about the maintenance and labor cost for German cars, they're not any higher than a Tahoe to maintain and you save on gas too. I have 64k on mine and it's never given me one complaint, just oil changes and regular service. My husband's also getting one to get rid on the truck 15mpg.

JD Low Mileage A4
By jdhamley on 01/05/08 16:00 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Original owner of this A4 for the past four years. Quality and performance are great with decent gas mileage. Audi maintenance covers everything during warranty and dealer's have provided exceptional service. I will buy another Audi in 2009, anxious to see how the trade in value holds.

4-Year Perspective
By rh on 10/13/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, my 4-year experience with the A4 has been a good one. I concur with the turbo lag mentioned in other reviews on standing starts. However, at road speeds the turbo is much more responsive. I have had no mechanical issues with this vehicle that required service. The sports suspension and quattro make this car a pleasure to drive in any weather conditions. Traction in heavy snow has been fabulous. I've heard a lot of negative stories about the Pirelli tires the 2004 model came with (defects, noise, low tread life), but I have 38,000 miles on mine, and have had no issues.

Good car but totally unreliable
By SilverA4 on 10/07/07 16:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really like my 2004 A4 but it has been in the shop too many times. It had problems with the turbo charger at about 37k miles, then a leaking oil gasket at 45k, ignition coils replaced at 48k and the entire 2nd cylinder head was replaced shortly after that. Luckily this was done under warranty but I'm thinking of selling it now before anything else can go wrong.

Probably the best car I have owned
By Bill on 08/26/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Over the 3 and 1/2 years I have owned this car, it has been nearly flawless. One repair under warrantee to replace the catalytic converter. The 1.8 has sufficient power and delivers excellent gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. The AWD really delivers in heavy rain and is adequate in snow providing you drive sanely.

Drop the 3 and the C, go for an A!
By Gato on 08/19/07 19:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my A4 Ultrasport used with about 36000 miles, and since June I've added another 2500. I drive all over the the Southeast and I love it, good gas mileage balanced with good performance. I do agree though it lacks in low end torque, nothing a light ecu upgrade can't solve. I want to design cars, so I'm pretty critical when it comes to automobiles. After driving a E320 for a while, I joined the Audi revolution. In my search, I drove 3 series models, IS 300, C320/230 K, and the T5 Volvo S40. In the end I found the Audi was the best. Cheaper upkeep than the other Germans, and better build quality than Volvo and Lexus. Join The AUDI revolution!

Poor A4 reliability and dealer support
By Arnold Thornton on 08/13/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

In less than 3 years and 26000 miles, we have spent $2600 on repairs to our Audi, $1000 for a door that distorted, $1600 for a clutch that failed. We also have a broken catch on a glove compartment unfixed so far. Despite the car having a 50,000 mile 4-year warranty, the dealership has steadfastly refused to fix anything under warranty. From what we can gather, this policy seems to be driven by Audi of America. We will NEVER buy an Audi again.

A4 even better than expected
By 204mecca on 07/06/07 23:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife wanted this car more than I did. Not only did she love the design, her bad back loved the seats. I wanted a smaller, less expensive car, something like an Acura TSX or Mazda3, By special ordering a low optioned FWD version, we kept the cost down. It has provided us with 38000 miles of trouble free, comfortable, low operating costs driving. I am sure that the other choices would not have been as comfortable for long trips nor gotten as a better MPG. I am more than glad we got the A4!