Used 2004 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 233 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A4 1.8T with tip auto
By Expensive car

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 38k miles now it has 63k miles and the fuel pump along with airbag sensor and window motor all went bad. luckily i bought the extended warranty which covered all expenses with a minor 50 dollar deductible. Very expensive car to keep up with i wouldn't recommend it if you're on a tight budget. One RSA good year tire $200 oil change $75. Car makes a grinding initially of every first start. The trans doesn't feel very strong and i baby it so much i don't even tip 2500 RPM. A light buld change is $100+ I'm going Toyota or Honda next.

AWD, 34 mpg highway under 65mph. Sporty looks, Xenon lights, Trunk space ideal for mobsters.

Cut holder is useless if drink is over 12 ozs. very tight leg room for all front and back. I'm 6' and I'm very close to the roof.

I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price
By Daryl

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this 10 months ego and after 10 months of pain and problems it has stranded us 180 miles from home at 11pm. We are replacing it with a Lexus RX300. This has needed new catalytic converters, coils,O2 sensors, control arms, wiper mechanism, trunk actuator. Sunroof is stuck, brake caliper is not working right and wears pads too fast on 1 side, tranny shifter gets stuck sometimes, 1 wheel is bent, power steering pump squeaks, and now the fuel pump gave up the ghost. All between 75k and 98k. First month we owned it, it spent 3 weeks in shops and 1 week on the road. Most parts are VW. I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price. Don't be a fool and buy one.

nice interior and all wheel drive

Quality of parts, too many premature failures.

Beautifully refined car
By Eric

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the 3.0 A4 with UltraSport package. The rims and trim associated with this package turn this car into a head turner. My previous vehicle was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. Although it might be the slowest car in it's class, I love it. The biggest difference I experienced (compared to Japanese brands) is the attention to detail. Things such as storage under the seating, lights under each door to illuminate where you are going to step, and a cool hidden trunk release, just to name a few. It feels super solid on the road, especially in rain. I chose the 3.0 over the 1.8T because I don't want to deal with all the problems associated with high-mileage turbos.

Active MPG reading, classy/elegant interior, body styling of UltraSport package, car feels firm/solid (not cheap and hollow like my previous car) and drives like its on rails.

More HP, larger sway bar in the rear, more legroom in the back (headroom is fine for backseat passengers), but who cares, it's MY car anyway lol.

I got lucky
By JAG

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

As the original owner, now with 75,000 miles, I have only a few minor complaints about this, my favorite car of all time. Better handling, more comfortable and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus IS 250. The styling and performance are terrific. More power and better reliability than year models. One or the other of the tail lights have to be replaced every 6-12 months: I've now bought the tools and now do it myself. The cup holder is a bit flimsy, and the arm rest storage cover has an easily breakable hinge. Back seat leg room is very cramped for adults (a non issue for us 2 empty nesters). I just recently discovered the 12 volt socket in the trunk.

Handling and power, fit and finish. Rear seats that fold down to increase "trunk" space.

Better protection for the license plate and frame. Will bumper protection ever come back?

Ultra Sport with Ultra Repairs
By Ceizure

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is gorgeous. Dolphin grey ext & Black leather int. Looks like the S4, but with the economy of the 1.8T. It kills me that Audi makes such beautiful cars but can't make them reliable enough to compete with Japanese cars. In a year's time, I've replaced both front window regulators, the clutch, the center armrest, steering control arm, the stereo head unit and now scheduled items are coming up (timing, struts, brakes). This car only has 65k miles... Japanese typically don't fall apart until twice that. Audi does make a great car to lease. Only lease... which is unfortunate as most first time Audi buyers probably buy pre-owned and get turned off by the time they make enough to buy new.

Look and style of car, AWD, decent fuel economy.

Window regulators that last 10 years (it's not new technology), plastic trim that doesn't peel up or break, and more robust suspension components.