2004 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Good car but totally unreliable
By SilverA4 on 10/07/07 16:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really like my 2004 A4 but it has been in the shop too many times. It had problems with the turbo charger at about 37k miles, then a leaking oil gasket at 45k, ignition coils replaced at 48k and the entire 2nd cylinder head was replaced shortly after that. Luckily this was done under warranty but I'm thinking of selling it now before anything else can go wrong.

Probably the best car I have owned
By Bill on 08/26/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Over the 3 and 1/2 years I have owned this car, it has been nearly flawless. One repair under warrantee to replace the catalytic converter. The 1.8 has sufficient power and delivers excellent gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. The AWD really delivers in heavy rain and is adequate in snow providing you drive sanely.

Drop the 3 and the C, go for an A!
By Gato on 08/19/07 19:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my A4 Ultrasport used with about 36000 miles, and since June I've added another 2500. I drive all over the the Southeast and I love it, good gas mileage balanced with good performance. I do agree though it lacks in low end torque, nothing a light ecu upgrade can't solve. I want to design cars, so I'm pretty critical when it comes to automobiles. After driving a E320 for a while, I joined the Audi revolution. In my search, I drove 3 series models, IS 300, C320/230 K, and the T5 Volvo S40. In the end I found the Audi was the best. Cheaper upkeep than the other Germans, and better build quality than Volvo and Lexus. Join The AUDI revolution!

Poor A4 reliability and dealer support
By Arnold Thornton on 08/13/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

In less than 3 years and 26000 miles, we have spent $2600 on repairs to our Audi, $1000 for a door that distorted, $1600 for a clutch that failed. We also have a broken catch on a glove compartment unfixed so far. Despite the car having a 50,000 mile 4-year warranty, the dealership has steadfastly refused to fix anything under warranty. From what we can gather, this policy seems to be driven by Audi of America. We will NEVER buy an Audi again.

A4 even better than expected
By 204mecca on 07/06/07 23:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife wanted this car more than I did. Not only did she love the design, her bad back loved the seats. I wanted a smaller, less expensive car, something like an Acura TSX or Mazda3, By special ordering a low optioned FWD version, we kept the cost down. It has provided us with 38000 miles of trouble free, comfortable, low operating costs driving. I am sure that the other choices would not have been as comfortable for long trips nor gotten as a better MPG. I am more than glad we got the A4!

Fantastic Vehicle
By Brian L. on 06/09/07 14:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased the car certified pre-owned about 6 months ago. I wanted something a bit more mature with more options. Opted for this car and don't regret a thing.

Turbo Lag
By a4 on 01/03/07 20:56 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Turbo lag, turbo lag, turbo lag The problems I have had with this car start with the fuel pump humming noise. The dealer replaced it twice. As of now no more noise. AC turns off when it feels like it. I live in florida & it get hot here so AC is a must but the A4 AC seems to have a mind of its own. I had a 1996 A4 with the same problem. Now to my biggest complaint. The 1.8t's turbo lag. Say you are in the middle of the intersection waiting for an opening. In the Audi don't even think about creeping in. You better have a big opening by the time you step on the gas and the car reacts its too late.

I'd buy it again
By Gadumah on 12/13/06 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I took ownership of this car almost three years ago and it's been trouble free the whole time. I love everything from the design to performance. Even though I have the 3.0 model I wish it had a little more power. Other than that it's almost perfect!

A4
By colo4474 on 08/22/06 05:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive and handles well. Audi and VW can capture drivers on the appearance and handling alone.

Don't Buy an Audi
By kelbelle37 on 04/14/06 08:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Audi has serious electrical problems (every headlight, tail light, turn signal and now the regulator which controls my power window - $350 to replace - has been replaced at least once) and Audi USA and the dealer don't seem to care. I get "it happens to every car" - not any that I owned in the past (Japanese). They're great looking cars and fun to drive, but need too much up-keep for the price. Think of something else before purchasing unless you don't mind dishing out hundreds of $$$ every couple months on things that should never go wrong let alone within the first couple months of owning a brand new, showroom floor car.