Used 2004 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

I got lucky
By JAG

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

As the original owner, now with 75,000 miles, I have only a few minor complaints about this, my favorite car of all time. Better handling, more comfortable and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus IS 250. The styling and performance are terrific. More power and better reliability than year models. One or the other of the tail lights have to be replaced every 6-12 months: I've now bought the tools and now do it myself. The cup holder is a bit flimsy, and the arm rest storage cover has an easily breakable hinge. Back seat leg room is very cramped for adults (a non issue for us 2 empty nesters). I just recently discovered the 12 volt socket in the trunk.

Handling and power, fit and finish. Rear seats that fold down to increase "trunk" space.

Better protection for the license plate and frame. Will bumper protection ever come back?

Ultra Sport with Ultra Repairs
By Ceizure

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is gorgeous. Dolphin grey ext & Black leather int. Looks like the S4, but with the economy of the 1.8T. It kills me that Audi makes such beautiful cars but can't make them reliable enough to compete with Japanese cars. In a year's time, I've replaced both front window regulators, the clutch, the center armrest, steering control arm, the stereo head unit and now scheduled items are coming up (timing, struts, brakes). This car only has 65k miles... Japanese typically don't fall apart until twice that. Audi does make a great car to lease. Only lease... which is unfortunate as most first time Audi buyers probably buy pre-owned and get turned off by the time they make enough to buy new.

Look and style of car, AWD, decent fuel economy.

Window regulators that last 10 years (it's not new technology), plastic trim that doesn't peel up or break, and more robust suspension components.

A *nearly perfect car
By B6Turbo

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car w/ 44K and now have 79K on it. You can't beat the tasteful, subtle but sporty styling and the interior design and quality is impeccable. Apart from the lack of power (170hp in a 3400lb car just can't compare to its rivals in terms of acceleration), but the quattro all-wheel-drive system all but makes up for it in the twisties and it moves like a much lighter, more balanced car. Like almost all 1.8T owners I've had to replace my coil packs (I opted to upgrade to aftermarket Hitachi plugs instead of the OEM versions). A new clutch was also required at 75K, but that may have been due to the previous owner's driving style. I love my car and will drive it until it's dead.

Quattro. There is nothing like a true symmetrical all wheel drive system, and Quattro w/ the Torsen center diff is far superior to other systems. The styling (interior & exterior). Fuel economy and power from the 1.8T. Very smooth action on the 6-speed manual. Audio System.

The bolt-down hitachi-style coil packs should have been used instead of the snap-in OEM coils (but for $130 you can get a replacement set). Brakes could use improvement. The cup holder in the center console is completely useless w/ the manual transmission.

Nothing but problems!!
By Emmanuel McKinstry

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased vehicle used with 20k mileage. Ultrasport 1.8T came with APR stage-1 upgrade. Problems with Air bag module. Dealer fixed under warr. Ignition coils went bad cost 500.00 Fuel pump bad along with some type of sensor that regulates the fuel to the engine?? Caused car to dump too much fuel and flood engine. Cost 850.00. Defective coolant seal (Anti Freeze was leaking in the rear of engine) about 1100.00. And of course the famous Timing belt that bent the valves at 85K and defective passenger side window module cost 2300.00 (And that's with my own valve head I received free from a friend). Now the Bank 1 O2 sensor is bad and it's leaking oil like crazy. Dealer said defective oil cap??

Improve your product along with your customer service!!

Love/Hate Relationship
By Darren

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car w/50k miles on it and it has 89k now. I love driving this car. I love the looks & the interior is awesome. Gas mileage is grt as I avg 26 mpg & get at least 32 on hwy. The hate on this car is reliability issues. I have had coolant leaks, oil leaks, & now the trans is leaving puddles on my garage flr. I have replaced both frt wdw regulators, the fuel pump, 3 of the 4 ign coils on the engine. I have had issues with the air bags & the engine light is on a lot. When it rains the car leaks water in at the A pillar & no one seems to know why. It's in the shop more than my garage. I'm scared what it will cost after 100k. I love it, but it's going to have to go. Go back to BMW or Japanese.

Interior, Triptronic trans, quattro.

Reliability, issues. Cup holder. Trunk space.