Used 2004 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Never Buy Audi Worst Experience Ever!
By Jh27

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to take my car into the shop 5 times so far this year. First time I had to replace all ignition coils with recall (engine light flashing and car vibrating). 2nd time replaced coil pack for V6 engine light went on. 3rd time they checked engine and had the light off for 2 weeks. Light came on again said it was spark plugs. Didn't replace spark plugs because they charge too much. 5th time came in and said i had to replace spark plugs and fuel injector. charged 195 dollars for labor. They rip people off. Replaced parts with labor was 370 dollars. My car's check engine light is on again now. Least reliable vehicle ever.

Favorite Features

The managers just take money from the service employees and customers constantly. I am about to file a law suit if they keep it up. The Horsepower performance and V6 and engine sound. Leather interior is great.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle is kind of on the heavy side. Build a vehicle that is reliable and stop the fraud/deception against customers. Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda all have great reliability. In comparison Audi is A TERRIBLE AND DECEPTIVE COMPANY.

Audi A4 2004 V6 3.0 6M Ultra Sport
By Audi3.0B6UltraSport

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with approximately 40k miles on it after it had come off a lease. It's fully loaded with every available feature for that model year and has a full leather interior. Black paint, black leather. It's a sweet looking car and it drives really well. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and if I had to make the decision again I would buy the same car. I average about 28 MPG - mostly highway driving. The Ultra Sport package offers most of the S4 styling with much better fuel economy. Over the years, I've had the coil packs and the cat converters replaced under warranty, I've had to replace the win regulators on both front windows. I still love this car though.

Favorite Features

Great style and handling. Fit and finish is excellent. Love the 220 watt Bose 10 speaker sound system. Very comfortable chairs. Interior lighting is superb.

Suggested Improvements

Improved reliability.

Unreliable luxury
By unreliable luxury

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

CVT transmission had to be replaced at 50k miles, but had the symptoms at an earlier 30k miles (there's an existing TSB for this issue). Working with Audi of America to see what our options are. Always had the vehicle serviced at an Audi dealer at the prescribed maintenance intervals. Day after the trans install, the check engine light was on, which was found to be a defect part on the 'new' transmission. Love the car, but can't afford the maintenance. I thought German cars were built to last. A lot of other little things are broken, not working, or just acting up in the car. I think it's time to see what BMW has to offer...

Favorite Features

Near infinite seat adjustments, great cruiser, love the convertible, great gas mileage, FWD is awesome in the snow, convertible top keeps you plenty warm in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the reliability issues - transmission should never fail, build the car to last AT LEAST to 100k miles. Cup holder is an oxymoron. Driver seat should go down at least another 1/2" to accommodate taller drivers.

A4 1.8T with tip auto
By Expensive car

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 38k miles now it has 63k miles and the fuel pump along with airbag sensor and window motor all went bad. luckily i bought the extended warranty which covered all expenses with a minor 50 dollar deductible. Very expensive car to keep up with i wouldn't recommend it if you're on a tight budget. One RSA good year tire $200 oil change $75. Car makes a grinding initially of every first start. The trans doesn't feel very strong and i baby it so much i don't even tip 2500 RPM. A light buld change is $100+ I'm going Toyota or Honda next.

Favorite Features

AWD, 34 mpg highway under 65mph. Sporty looks, Xenon lights, Trunk space ideal for mobsters.

Suggested Improvements

Cut holder is useless if drink is over 12 ozs. very tight leg room for all front and back. I'm 6' and I'm very close to the roof.

CVT- Rare Code
By jjmiller

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

3rd week of ownership transmission shot. CVT with Rare Code GZE looked all over country finally found used. New $6000 Used $2500. Not how I wanted to start with Audi. Will sell once fixed. Dealer not helpful at all. Left me to find trans. so they wouldn't have to stand behind it. THANKS. Won't by Audi again.

Favorite Features

Interior, heated seats, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and stand behind car.