Used 2004 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Audi A4 1.8t 2004
By BoomBoom

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Nice reliable car until the CVT transmission went out at only 71,000 miles. $6,000 repair from the dealer. $5,000 to rebuild it. Great mileage. Good ride and handles well. Looks sharp. Should have bought extended warranty. Won't be buying another Audi.

Great AWD Wagon
By Steve

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Older couples' car with all documentation. Rides, looks and feels excellent. Great Bose stereo. Ultra sport package is awesome! Easy to forget this is a wagon. I traded in a 2008 Suzuki SX4 4 cyl AWD hatchback for this car. I wanted more power and luxury. Did some research and, an Avant 3.0 was the best bet. I really like the B6 (2002-05) generation of this car, Audi styling at its' epitome. Current generations (B7 & B8 late 2005-08, 2009-) A4s' styling is way out there, not my taste at all.

Bose stereo is AWESOME, plug my iPad, etc. in. and away I go. The interior is very luxurious, all controls are placed well. Power seats are so comfortable! It rides like a dream, Quattro AWD is simply the best out there. This car was a good choice for me, I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

This baby drinks gas. Not a guzzler but, I do notice. The controls buttons are all worn, this happened in my 2004 VW Touareg at 22,000-25,000 miles as well. Fixes/solutions anyone? Some people still can't believe this is a 6 year old car. It still looks relevant and still catches your eye, love that.

Never Buy Audi Worst Experience Ever!
By Jh27

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to take my car into the shop 5 times so far this year. First time I had to replace all ignition coils with recall (engine light flashing and car vibrating). 2nd time replaced coil pack for V6 engine light went on. 3rd time they checked engine and had the light off for 2 weeks. Light came on again said it was spark plugs. Didn't replace spark plugs because they charge too much. 5th time came in and said i had to replace spark plugs and fuel injector. charged 195 dollars for labor. They rip people off. Replaced parts with labor was 370 dollars. My car's check engine light is on again now. Least reliable vehicle ever.

The managers just take money from the service employees and customers constantly. I am about to file a law suit if they keep it up. The Horsepower performance and V6 and engine sound. Leather interior is great.

Vehicle is kind of on the heavy side. Build a vehicle that is reliable and stop the fraud/deception against customers. Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda all have great reliability. In comparison Audi is A TERRIBLE AND DECEPTIVE COMPANY.

Audi A4 2004 V6 3.0 6M Ultra Sport
By Audi3.0B6UltraSport

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with approximately 40k miles on it after it had come off a lease. It's fully loaded with every available feature for that model year and has a full leather interior. Black paint, black leather. It's a sweet looking car and it drives really well. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and if I had to make the decision again I would buy the same car. I average about 28 MPG - mostly highway driving. The Ultra Sport package offers most of the S4 styling with much better fuel economy. Over the years, I've had the coil packs and the cat converters replaced under warranty, I've had to replace the win regulators on both front windows. I still love this car though.

Great style and handling. Fit and finish is excellent. Love the 220 watt Bose 10 speaker sound system. Very comfortable chairs. Interior lighting is superb.

Improved reliability.

Unreliable luxury
By unreliable luxury

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

CVT transmission had to be replaced at 50k miles, but had the symptoms at an earlier 30k miles (there's an existing TSB for this issue). Working with Audi of America to see what our options are. Always had the vehicle serviced at an Audi dealer at the prescribed maintenance intervals. Day after the trans install, the check engine light was on, which was found to be a defect part on the 'new' transmission. Love the car, but can't afford the maintenance. I thought German cars were built to last. A lot of other little things are broken, not working, or just acting up in the car. I think it's time to see what BMW has to offer...

Near infinite seat adjustments, great cruiser, love the convertible, great gas mileage, FWD is awesome in the snow, convertible top keeps you plenty warm in winter.

Fix the reliability issues - transmission should never fail, build the car to last AT LEAST to 100k miles. Cup holder is an oxymoron. Driver seat should go down at least another 1/2" to accommodate taller drivers.