Used 2004 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 233 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

2004 Audi A4 3.0
By pjs2011

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Pros:
When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive.
It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive fast, but we're not in Germany.

Cons: I've had many mechanical and computer issues.
Driver side electric window mechanism replaced, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, ignition coils replaced, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not.
At <b>least<b/> a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop.
The interior design isn't practical.
I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive. It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive.

Cons: Problems from the get go. Driver side electric window mechanism went out, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, back of driver seat plastic panel popped off. ignition coils going bad, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not. At least a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop. The interior design isn't practical. The second cup holder is in the middle console but it's very cumbersome to access. I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

Be prepared to spend $$$ on maintenance
By uknowhu

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's great when it everything is in running order.
I bought the car new and have since run it to 188k miles.
At 115k, the engine died on me.
Something came loose that ruined one of the cylinders. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a mechanic that was able to procure me a used engine with 60k on it. After that, the bushings had to be replaced and then the fuel pump.
I love my car and still have it, but I don't think I'll buy Audi again. Too much money for maintenance and gas.

Build a car with reliability. For paying a premium, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Worst car ever
By john

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A week after I bought the car the fuel pump went. Center arm rest broke and so did the glove box. Closed the door one day and the side air bags went off 6000 in repairs for the side airbags but was covered by Audi USA. Thermostat broke twice. The speakers cut in and out. Rear Windows won't work and front ones work when they feel like it. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles Audi says this is normal. Had to replace the clutch. And transmission rebuild. Coils always fail leading to misfiring witch overheated my engine blowing the head gasket and cracking the head. There is lots more I'm forgetting I could have bought this car ten times over.

quattro

everything

Never Buy Audi Worst Experience Ever!
By Jh27

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to take my car into the shop 5 times so far this year. First time I had to replace all ignition coils with recall (engine light flashing and car vibrating). 2nd time replaced coil pack for V6 engine light went on. 3rd time they checked engine and had the light off for 2 weeks. Light came on again said it was spark plugs. Didn't replace spark plugs because they charge too much. 5th time came in and said i had to replace spark plugs and fuel injector. charged 195 dollars for labor. They rip people off. Replaced parts with labor was 370 dollars. My car's check engine light is on again now. Least reliable vehicle ever.

The managers just take money from the service employees and customers constantly. I am about to file a law suit if they keep it up. The Horsepower performance and V6 and engine sound. Leather interior is great.

Vehicle is kind of on the heavy side. Build a vehicle that is reliable and stop the fraud/deception against customers. Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda all have great reliability. In comparison Audi is A TERRIBLE AND DECEPTIVE COMPANY.

Audi A4 2004 V6 3.0 6M Ultra Sport
By Audi3.0B6UltraSport

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with approximately 40k miles on it after it had come off a lease. It's fully loaded with every available feature for that model year and has a full leather interior. Black paint, black leather. It's a sweet looking car and it drives really well. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and if I had to make the decision again I would buy the same car. I average about 28 MPG - mostly highway driving. The Ultra Sport package offers most of the S4 styling with much better fuel economy. Over the years, I've had the coil packs and the cat converters replaced under warranty, I've had to replace the win regulators on both front windows. I still love this car though.

Great style and handling. Fit and finish is excellent. Love the 220 watt Bose 10 speaker sound system. Very comfortable chairs. Interior lighting is superb.

Improved reliability.