Used 2004 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love my 3.0 cab
By BB

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Living in the northeast, I was hesitant to spend this much $ on a convertible, but have to say I love it. The performance, handling and comfort of the car is amazing. Can't imagine giving up any of the features. The 3.0 is a little sluggish off the line, but makes up for it quickly with a lot of power. It's so much fun to drive, looks great and is really comfortable.

Favorite Features

auto top, 3L engine, AWD, sports seats, the "look"

Suggested Improvements

if something could be done to increase visibility thru the rear view window, that would be great.

Great Car
By Audi Lover

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is the first car I have really enjoyed driving. It is responsive, amazing when the turbo kicks in, and I get positive comments from people on the street all the time which has never happened to me before. However, I have had to have the transmission replaced at 12000 miles, it just didn't go into gear one day and had to be towed. The dealer was great about replacing it but it did take 4 weeks until I got the car back.

Favorite Features

The handling, braking, gas mileage style, and ease that the top goes down are the best feature.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are horrible and I was disappointed that the top creaks when driving. A friend has an older BMW convt and it does not.

Always something wrong with it
By Kerstin

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought my A4 in May 03. It was one problem after another. The trunk compartment for holding the top broke and needed to be replaced. The final straw was when the transmission needed to be replaced with only 9k on the car! It had been making some strange creaking noises but the dealer kept insisting it was just loose bolts they needed to tighten. After several visits to the shop, they finally determined that the transmission was defective. In 9 months of owning the car, it was probably in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. I would never buy another Audi. Very poor quality.

Favorite Features

Convertible

Suggested Improvements

Quality control!

Convertible Top Troubles
By Charles

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This past December while lowering my soft top, I heard a rip. After raising the top, a small tear was noted. With Audi's inclusive warranty, I called Crown Eurocar (my dealer) and was given an appointment for 2 weeks. When the car went in to Crown the service department rep said, "yea it is ripped and would need to be replaced (first day lost;they had refused to just look at it without appt.). Returned 2 weeks later for repair.Loaner given and told it should take a day to repair. Next day the only tech who could repair it was out. Finally it was determined that a defect was responsible, the car had slipped quality control and the entire top had to be replaced (after ok from Audi)

Favorite Features

This had never happened nor had they ever seen this. Now the question is what else slipped past quality? Will this happen again? I still don't know after 6 weeks when I will get my car back.

Suggested Improvements

Quality improvement-never thought I'd say that about Audi. Dealership need to revamp Service department and stop wasting customer's time. Will look for another vehicle and definitely not from this dealership. This is my last Audi (I've had 3 others). To other Cabriolet owners- be careful.

Excellent Vehicle
By jb1170

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned this vehicle for a year now. It performs beautifully, and gets great mileage. Fun to drive around town, performs great on the highway, and is extremely quick for a 4 cyl with the tip-tronic transmission. If you can push a button, then you know how to use the top. Comes standard with numerous comfort options. If you are interested in a convertable in this category then I highly recommend looking at this vehicle. You wont be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Convertable top, tip-tronic / CVT transmission.

Suggested Improvements

none.