Used 2004 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

2004 Audi A4 3.0
By pjs2011

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Pros: When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive. It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive fast, but we're not in Germany. Cons: I've had many mechanical and computer issues. Driver side electric window mechanism replaced, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, ignition coils replaced, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not. At least a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop. The interior design isn't practical. The second cup holder is in the middle console but it's very cumbersome to access. I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

Favorite Features

When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive. It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: Problems from the get go. Driver side electric window mechanism went out, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, back of driver seat plastic panel popped off. ignition coils going bad, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not. At least a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop. The interior design isn't practical. The second cup holder is in the middle console but it's very cumbersome to access. I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

Be prepared to spend $$$ on maintenance
By uknowhu

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's great when it everything is in running order. I bought the car new and have since run it to 188k miles. At 115k, the engine died on me. Something came loose that ruined one of the cylinders. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a mechanic that was able to procure me a used engine with 60k on it. After that, the bushings had to be replaced and then the fuel pump. I love my car and still have it, but I don't think I'll buy Audi again. Too much money for maintenance and gas.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car with reliability. For paying a premium, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Worst car ever
By john

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A week after I bought the car the fuel pump went. Center arm rest broke and so did the glove box. Closed the door one day and the side air bags went off 6000 in repairs for the side airbags but was covered by Audi USA. Thermostat broke twice. The speakers cut in and out. Rear Windows won't work and front ones work when they feel like it. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles Audi says this is normal. Had to replace the clutch. And transmission rebuild. Coils always fail leading to misfiring witch overheated my engine blowing the head gasket and cracking the head. There is lots more I'm forgetting I could have bought this car ten times over.

Favorite Features

quattro

Suggested Improvements

everything

Audi A4 1.8t 2004
By BoomBoom

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Nice reliable car until the CVT transmission went out at only 71,000 miles. $6,000 repair from the dealer. $5,000 to rebuild it. Great mileage. Good ride and handles well. Looks sharp. Should have bought extended warranty. Won't be buying another Audi.

Great AWD Wagon
By Steve

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Older couples' car with all documentation. Rides, looks and feels excellent. Great Bose stereo. Ultra sport package is awesome! Easy to forget this is a wagon. I traded in a 2008 Suzuki SX4 4 cyl AWD hatchback for this car. I wanted more power and luxury. Did some research and, an Avant 3.0 was the best bet. I really like the B6 (2002-05) generation of this car, Audi styling at its' epitome. Current generations (B7 & B8 late 2005-08, 2009-) A4s' styling is way out there, not my taste at all.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo is AWESOME, plug my iPad, etc. in. and away I go. The interior is very luxurious, all controls are placed well. Power seats are so comfortable! It rides like a dream, Quattro AWD is simply the best out there. This car was a good choice for me, I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Suggested Improvements

This baby drinks gas. Not a guzzler but, I do notice. The controls buttons are all worn, this happened in my 2004 VW Touareg at 22,000-25,000 miles as well. Fixes/solutions anyone? Some people still can't believe this is a 6 year old car. It still looks relevant and still catches your eye, love that.