2004 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
A *nearly perfect car
By B6Turbo on 10/15/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car w/ 44K and now have 79K on it. You can't beat the tasteful, subtle but sporty styling and the interior design and quality is impeccable. Apart from the lack of power (170hp in a 3400lb car just can't compare to its rivals in terms of acceleration), but the quattro all-wheel-drive system all but makes up for it in the twisties and it moves like a much lighter, more balanced car. Like almost all 1.8T owners I've had to replace my coil packs (I opted to upgrade to aftermarket Hitachi plugs instead of the OEM versions). A new clutch was also required at 75K, but that may have been due to the previous owner's driving style. I love my car and will drive it until it's dead.

Nothing but problems!!
By Emmanuel McKinstry on 10/14/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased vehicle used with 20k mileage. Ultrasport 1.8T came with APR stage-1 upgrade. Problems with Air bag module. Dealer fixed under warr. Ignition coils went bad cost 500.00 Fuel pump bad along with some type of sensor that regulates the fuel to the engine?? Caused car to dump too much fuel and flood engine. Cost 850.00. Defective coolant seal (Anti Freeze was leaking in the rear of engine) about 1100.00. And of course the famous Timing belt that bent the valves at 85K and defective passenger side window module cost 2300.00 (And that's with my own valve head I received free from a friend). Now the Bank 1 O2 sensor is bad and it's leaking oil like crazy. Dealer said defective oil cap??

Love/Hate Relationship
By Darren on 09/30/09 06:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car w/50k miles on it and it has 89k now. I love driving this car. I love the looks & the interior is awesome. Gas mileage is grt as I avg 26 mpg & get at least 32 on hwy. The hate on this car is reliability issues. I have had coolant leaks, oil leaks, & now the trans is leaving puddles on my garage flr. I have replaced both frt wdw regulators, the fuel pump, 3 of the 4 ign coils on the engine. I have had issues with the air bags & the engine light is on a lot. When it rains the car leaks water in at the A pillar & no one seems to know why. It's in the shop more than my garage. I'm scared what it will cost after 100k. I love it, but it's going to have to go. Go back to BMW or Japanese.

1.8T good solid engine
By AUDIence on 09/06/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned since new. No major engine problems ever with this car. Would recommend good aftermarket warranty after 50K miles. Had to replace both front window regulators and 2 coil packs. I have 93,000 miles on the car and I don't baby it. 4cyl turbo w/6speed manual is a gas saver but lacks in power. Opted for APR Stage 1 program upgrade $499 value worth every penny. Car now has about 230hp and 275ft lb of torque and is much more fun to drive. Worst thing about the car is the useless cup holders. Best looking A4 ever IMO. Careful choosing tires for this car, very susceptible to road noise once tires begin to wear. Pirelli P Zero Rosso were the best. Yokohama's handle great but make a lot of noise.

great car
By redsox44344 on 08/01/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The ride was fun, always a good experience. Gas mileage is pretty good, and so is just about everything else. Not exceptionally fast, but it does the job well.

Best car ever
By audi 1.8t on 04/12/09 23:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is better than any other. Has awesome stereo lots of bass sounds great. Has lots of power from a 1.8 t. Great sport suspension rides as if the car was riding on rails, love the smooth shifting. Really beats any other car. Great gas mileage, comfortable to drive over 1200 miles.

5 years of A4 3.0 AWD
By roadman on 03/23/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent car overall. The original tires Pirrelli 4 season are problems. Had side wall bubbles on all 4. Car has been to the garage only for maintenance and to replace the headlight washer cover which fell off twice. 85,000 miles so far. Also problem with wheels, they tend to hit the curbs when parallel parking due to the curve of the wheel they stick out from the tire. They get scrapped easily. Everything else is awesome, I'd buy another.

Major Let Down
By AKA4 on 02/26/09 11:04 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car used July 4th, 2008. Immaculate condition. No dents, no scraps, everything worked! One month into it, the auto leveling headlghts malfunctioned, power windows failed, Pirelli tires were awful! Then, coil packs failed, engined missfired and had to be towed away! Rattles galore! I love the engine sound, interior style, material quality and over all subtle style. If you're gonna buy this car buy a good after market warranty, and have it inspected thouroughly before purchasing!

Great Second Car
By nu2audi on 01/28/09 11:50 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased a used 2004 3.0 Quattro with 5 speed auto for a second car. I'm quite impressed with the fit and finish and not a squeak in a car with 59000 miles on it. It's quick, smooth and fun to drive. I had a 2001 BMW 530 and swear this car rides better, feels faster and matches the Bimmer in every comfort category.

Only Time Will Tell.
By Bespoke on 10/09/08 01:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have only owned this car for about 4 1/2 months. And I love the cars design, material quality and control layout. Im very happy with the handeling and even the rather small engine. But there seems to be issues with the windows and rain sensor, there are a few plastic interior rattles that annoy me. The audio system is terrible (Symphony system). I'm not disappointed,