2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Audi A4 2004 V6 3.0 6M Ultra Sport
By Audi3.0B6UltraSport on 07/02/10 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with approximately 40k miles on it after it had come off a lease. It's fully loaded with every available feature for that model year and has a full leather interior. Black paint, black leather. It's a sweet looking car and it drives really well. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and if I had to make the decision again I would buy the same car. I average about 28 MPG - mostly highway driving. The Ultra Sport package offers most of the S4 styling with much better fuel economy. Over the years, I've had the coil packs and the cat converters replaced under warranty, I've had to replace the win regulators on both front windows. I still love this car though.

Unreliable luxury
By unreliable luxury on 05/17/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

CVT transmission had to be replaced at 50k miles, but had the symptoms at an earlier 30k miles (there's an existing TSB for this issue). Working with Audi of America to see what our options are. Always had the vehicle serviced at an Audi dealer at the prescribed maintenance intervals. Day after the trans install, the check engine light was on, which was found to be a defect part on the 'new' transmission. Love the car, but can't afford the maintenance. I thought German cars were built to last. A lot of other little things are broken, not working, or just acting up in the car. I think it's time to see what BMW has to offer...

A4 1.8T with tip auto
By Expensive car on 05/12/10 17:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 38k miles now it has 63k miles and the fuel pump along with airbag sensor and window motor all went bad. luckily i bought the extended warranty which covered all expenses with a minor 50 dollar deductible. Very expensive car to keep up with i wouldn't recommend it if you're on a tight budget. One RSA good year tire $200 oil change $75. Car makes a grinding initially of every first start. The trans doesn't feel very strong and i baby it so much i don't even tip 2500 RPM. A light buld change is $100+ I'm going Toyota or Honda next.

CVT- Rare Code
By jjmiller on 03/17/10 19:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

3rd week of ownership transmission shot. CVT with Rare Code GZE looked all over country finally found used. New $6000 Used $2500. Not how I wanted to start with Audi. Will sell once fixed. Dealer not helpful at all. Left me to find trans. so they wouldn't have to stand behind it. THANKS. Won't by Audi again.

Keeping my A4 Cab!
By Rich on 01/16/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had Audis (3 of them) for 14 years. Historically problems, but this gorgeous green A4 3.0L 2004 cab has been great! Oh yeah, a minor electrical things telling me my satellite radio isn't working (although it does just fine!), but that's nothing. The car is so great to drive. Lacking a little on comfort for long trips, but that's no surprise. I have only 67K miles (about 5 years) and have no thoughts of looking for anything else. Can't come up with anything I'd enjoy driving more than this. And the wind screen is great, allowing me to put top down (windows and heater up) when sunny and 45 when dressed appropriately. I love this car!!!

I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price
By Daryl on 12/26/09 17:42 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this 10 months ego and after 10 months of pain and problems it has stranded us 180 miles from home at 11pm. We are replacing it with a Lexus RX300. This has needed new catalytic converters, coils,O2 sensors, control arms, wiper mechanism, trunk actuator. Sunroof is stuck, brake caliper is not working right and wears pads too fast on 1 side, tranny shifter gets stuck sometimes, 1 wheel is bent, power steering pump squeaks, and now the fuel pump gave up the ghost. All between 75k and 98k. First month we owned it, it spent 3 weeks in shops and 1 week on the road. Most parts are VW. I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price. Don't be a fool and buy one.

Beautifully refined car
By Eric on 12/26/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the 3.0 A4 with UltraSport package. The rims and trim associated with this package turn this car into a head turner. My previous vehicle was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. Although it might be the slowest car in it's class, I love it. The biggest difference I experienced (compared to Japanese brands) is the attention to detail. Things such as storage under the seating, lights under each door to illuminate where you are going to step, and a cool hidden trunk release, just to name a few. It feels super solid on the road, especially in rain. I chose the 3.0 over the 1.8T because I don't want to deal with all the problems associated with high-mileage turbos.

I got lucky
By JAG on 10/31/09 14:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

As the original owner, now with 75,000 miles, I have only a few minor complaints about this, my favorite car of all time. Better handling, more comfortable and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus IS 250. The styling and performance are terrific. More power and better reliability than year models. One or the other of the tail lights have to be replaced every 6-12 months: I've now bought the tools and now do it myself. The cup holder is a bit flimsy, and the arm rest storage cover has an easily breakable hinge. Back seat leg room is very cramped for adults (a non issue for us 2 empty nesters). I just recently discovered the 12 volt socket in the trunk.

Ultra Sport with Ultra Repairs
By Ceizure on 10/21/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is gorgeous. Dolphin grey ext & Black leather int. Looks like the S4, but with the economy of the 1.8T. It kills me that Audi makes such beautiful cars but can't make them reliable enough to compete with Japanese cars. In a year's time, I've replaced both front window regulators, the clutch, the center armrest, steering control arm, the stereo head unit and now scheduled items are coming up (timing, struts, brakes). This car only has 65k miles... Japanese typically don't fall apart until twice that. Audi does make a great car to lease. Only lease... which is unfortunate as most first time Audi buyers probably buy pre-owned and get turned off by the time they make enough to buy new.

A *nearly perfect car
By B6Turbo on 10/15/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car w/ 44K and now have 79K on it. You can't beat the tasteful, subtle but sporty styling and the interior design and quality is impeccable. Apart from the lack of power (170hp in a 3400lb car just can't compare to its rivals in terms of acceleration), but the quattro all-wheel-drive system all but makes up for it in the twisties and it moves like a much lighter, more balanced car. Like almost all 1.8T owners I've had to replace my coil packs (I opted to upgrade to aftermarket Hitachi plugs instead of the OEM versions). A new clutch was also required at 75K, but that may have been due to the previous owner's driving style. I love my car and will drive it until it's dead.