2004 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
2004 Audi A4 3.0
By pjs2011 on 04/05/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Pros: When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive. It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive fast, but we're not in Germany. Cons: I've had many mechanical and computer issues. Driver side electric window mechanism replaced, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, ignition coils replaced, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not. At least a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop. The interior design isn't practical. The second cup holder is in the middle console but it's very cumbersome to access. I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

Be prepared to spend $$$ on maintenance
By uknowhu on 03/24/11 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's great when it everything is in running order. I bought the car new and have since run it to 188k miles. At 115k, the engine died on me. Something came loose that ruined one of the cylinders. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a mechanic that was able to procure me a used engine with 60k on it. After that, the bushings had to be replaced and then the fuel pump. I love my car and still have it, but I don't think I'll buy Audi again. Too much money for maintenance and gas.

Worst car ever
By john on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A week after I bought the car the fuel pump went. Center arm rest broke and so did the glove box. Closed the door one day and the side air bags went off 6000 in repairs for the side airbags but was covered by Audi USA. Thermostat broke twice. The speakers cut in and out. Rear Windows won't work and front ones work when they feel like it. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles Audi says this is normal. Had to replace the clutch. And transmission rebuild. Coils always fail leading to misfiring witch overheated my engine blowing the head gasket and cracking the head. There is lots more I'm forgetting I could have bought this car ten times over.

Never Buy Audi Worst Experience Ever!
By Jh27 on 07/12/10 00:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to take my car into the shop 5 times so far this year. First time I had to replace all ignition coils with recall (engine light flashing and car vibrating). 2nd time replaced coil pack for V6 engine light went on. 3rd time they checked engine and had the light off for 2 weeks. Light came on again said it was spark plugs. Didn't replace spark plugs because they charge too much. 5th time came in and said i had to replace spark plugs and fuel injector. charged 195 dollars for labor. They rip people off. Replaced parts with labor was 370 dollars. My car's check engine light is on again now. Least reliable vehicle ever.

Audi A4 2004 V6 3.0 6M Ultra Sport
By Audi3.0B6UltraSport on 07/02/10 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with approximately 40k miles on it after it had come off a lease. It's fully loaded with every available feature for that model year and has a full leather interior. Black paint, black leather. It's a sweet looking car and it drives really well. Overall I'm quite happy with the car and if I had to make the decision again I would buy the same car. I average about 28 MPG - mostly highway driving. The Ultra Sport package offers most of the S4 styling with much better fuel economy. Over the years, I've had the coil packs and the cat converters replaced under warranty, I've had to replace the win regulators on both front windows. I still love this car though.

A4 1.8T with tip auto
By Expensive car on 05/12/10 17:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 38k miles now it has 63k miles and the fuel pump along with airbag sensor and window motor all went bad. luckily i bought the extended warranty which covered all expenses with a minor 50 dollar deductible. Very expensive car to keep up with i wouldn't recommend it if you're on a tight budget. One RSA good year tire $200 oil change $75. Car makes a grinding initially of every first start. The trans doesn't feel very strong and i baby it so much i don't even tip 2500 RPM. A light buld change is $100+ I'm going Toyota or Honda next.

I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price
By Daryl on 12/26/09 17:42 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this 10 months ego and after 10 months of pain and problems it has stranded us 180 miles from home at 11pm. We are replacing it with a Lexus RX300. This has needed new catalytic converters, coils,O2 sensors, control arms, wiper mechanism, trunk actuator. Sunroof is stuck, brake caliper is not working right and wears pads too fast on 1 side, tranny shifter gets stuck sometimes, 1 wheel is bent, power steering pump squeaks, and now the fuel pump gave up the ghost. All between 75k and 98k. First month we owned it, it spent 3 weeks in shops and 1 week on the road. Most parts are VW. I can not believe Audi sells this VW at Audi price. Don't be a fool and buy one.

Beautifully refined car
By Eric on 12/26/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the 3.0 A4 with UltraSport package. The rims and trim associated with this package turn this car into a head turner. My previous vehicle was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. Although it might be the slowest car in it's class, I love it. The biggest difference I experienced (compared to Japanese brands) is the attention to detail. Things such as storage under the seating, lights under each door to illuminate where you are going to step, and a cool hidden trunk release, just to name a few. It feels super solid on the road, especially in rain. I chose the 3.0 over the 1.8T because I don't want to deal with all the problems associated with high-mileage turbos.

I got lucky
By JAG on 10/31/09 14:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

As the original owner, now with 75,000 miles, I have only a few minor complaints about this, my favorite car of all time. Better handling, more comfortable and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus IS 250. The styling and performance are terrific. More power and better reliability than year models. One or the other of the tail lights have to be replaced every 6-12 months: I've now bought the tools and now do it myself. The cup holder is a bit flimsy, and the arm rest storage cover has an easily breakable hinge. Back seat leg room is very cramped for adults (a non issue for us 2 empty nesters). I just recently discovered the 12 volt socket in the trunk.

Ultra Sport with Ultra Repairs
By Ceizure on 10/21/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is gorgeous. Dolphin grey ext & Black leather int. Looks like the S4, but with the economy of the 1.8T. It kills me that Audi makes such beautiful cars but can't make them reliable enough to compete with Japanese cars. In a year's time, I've replaced both front window regulators, the clutch, the center armrest, steering control arm, the stereo head unit and now scheduled items are coming up (timing, struts, brakes). This car only has 65k miles... Japanese typically don't fall apart until twice that. Audi does make a great car to lease. Only lease... which is unfortunate as most first time Audi buyers probably buy pre-owned and get turned off by the time they make enough to buy new.