Used 2004 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

CVT- Rare Code
By jjmiller

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

3rd week of ownership transmission shot. CVT with Rare Code GZE looked all over country finally found used. New $6000 Used $2500. Not how I wanted to start with Audi. Will sell once fixed. Dealer not helpful at all. Left me to find trans. so they wouldn't have to stand behind it. THANKS. Won't by Audi again.

Interior, heated seats, stereo

Reliability and stand behind car.

Keeping my A4 Cab!
By Rich

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had Audis (3 of them) for 14 years. Historically problems, but this gorgeous green A4 3.0L 2004 cab has been great! Oh yeah, a minor electrical things telling me my satellite radio isn't working (although it does just fine!), but that's nothing. The car is so great to drive. Lacking a little on comfort for long trips, but that's no surprise. I have only 67K miles (about 5 years) and have no thoughts of looking for anything else. Can't come up with anything I'd enjoy driving more than this. And the wind screen is great, allowing me to put top down (windows and heater up) when sunny and 45 when dressed appropriately. I love this car!!!

AWD Convertible!!! Wind screen Gorgeous interior Color (dark green/tan roof)

After all these years... still fun
By Rod

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

OK. Had this car 5 years now and wanted to add some perspective to all these reviews. First, car is great and works very well. No major issues while under warranty. A few little things here and there -- warm up when cold is rough and car rattles a bit, cup holder finally bit the dust in dash and will never come out again. (Partly its own fault and partly my anger out of its complete uselessness). Low water light for window washer comes on for no reason. Out of warranty had to have some vacuum hose work done for $700. Overall the car is still great but with all the little nits and nags you would expect with any car after 5 years and 70k miles. Roof great and no leaks!

The top! Truck space is incredible, especially with top up. Fit, finish and overall ride are great. The car still looks completely new and very, very attractive. People seem to think it is brand new, which in this economy probably makes people mad. MPG remains strong. Avg 32 mpg on recent trip.

Cup holders!! Total disaster -- as I said, I think I destroyed mine out of total rage for the whole situation. Smoother stopping with the CTV -- small jerk when coming to complete stop (might be idle issue). Seats with memory settings. Softer seats.

A blast to drive but VERY pricey to fix!
By Paul

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an amazing car to drive. It handles like a dream on both dry roads and ice packed roads. The interior is beautiful and very functional. You will definitely get some head turns with this car. I would, however, anyone who is considering buying this car to reconsider. The car is extremely expensive to fix and seems to have more problems than the average car. I have taken amazing car of the car but unfortunately it has not returned the favor. In the past 6 months I have put approximately $4500 into the car. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I would highly recommend looking at a Toyota convertible.

The 220 hp engine and AWD! It handles like it is on rails!

Much better reliability. The car would be absolutely prefect if it wasn't riddled with so many electrical problems. Don't let the perks of the car blind you from the fact that you might be in the shop every month.

So So Audi
By FLAJIM

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have had my A4 for 2.5 yrs. I had 34000 miles on the car when I bought and now have 82000. In the last year I have had to replace the ignition coil, fuel pump, and I'm getting ready to take it in for a trans module that costs $2000. And I just found out my top leaks and will need to be replaced at $2500. This is a car you need to get rid of at 40 or 50k miles. Audi I hope you see this review. It's time to trade for a Toyota or Honda.