2004 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
DON'T BUY THIS CAR IT IS GARBAGE!!!
By jenna1095 on 06/25/11 11:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car in 10/08 1st repair 12/31/08 coil packs $363 (I had to have these done 2 more times between then and now) 2nd repair 2/25/10 Clutch $1677 3rd repair 2/4/11 Crank Case $242 4th repair 4/6/11 PCV Valve $254 5th repair 4/7/11 (Yes it broke down on the way home from the shop) Fuel Pump $595 I am missing one recipt for a valve cover gasket if I remember right around 12/10 $200 When Picking up from getting fuel pump installed was informed it needs a CAT Quoted $1500 Fathers day 2011 Had complete Brake failure barely missed a car hopped a curb flew over a ditch and hit a telephone pole (from what I understand this is a common problem) DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IT IS NOT SAFE!!!!

REALLY
By tkite721 on 05/18/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ok so i feel like the only people that write reviews are the people that have problems...... Really you are switching from a Nice loaded sports car to a cheapo Economy car with cloths seats?????? I myself have never had any problems and several of my buddies have never had any problems only on EDMUNDS do people have problems.....

Audi -Never again
By driver98 on 05/15/11 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Bought an A4 2004 with extended warranty. Made a maintanence checkup with Keys Audi in Los Angeles. Told me i had to wait 2 weeks. i origanlly had a bad vibration problem to seek the appt anyway. 2 weeks latwer at 103,000 mile son car they would not honor the 100,00 warranty. AND would not honor the extended warranty. I called Audi America and bitc$$! Made them honor the extended warranty. Only got an oil change and tire rotation( SCREWED) OK THEN i asked them what was the vibration,THEY TOLD ME...Motor Mounts. Wanted 2k from the dealer to fix. I went to local mech for $800. Replaced them vibration was still there. 3 days later ENGINE BLEW! Due to timing chain fail.Called them,did nothing

Best Car ever Owned
By popeyes on 04/07/11 08:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Original owner of this 3.0 A4 since new. Right off the lot, negotiated 5% down. Now 7 yrs experience with it with 81K kms traveled. Quality, stability, stance, control, performance are all above great with decent gas mileage of 7.9l/100km highway 9-10l/100km city with quattro using synthetic. Audi maintenance covers everything during 3 yr warr and dealer's have provided exceptional service. They replaced all my brake disc's, pads and spark plugs all under warranty. Burnt bulbs, lighter socket, wiper lever seized from salt also replaced /w warr. Coils replaced under recall, but never problems just glithces with electronic in window controls, sunroof, and resets of A/C.

2004 Audi A4 3.0
By pjs2011 on 04/05/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Pros: When running properly, the performance of this car is impressive. It was built for the Autobahn and is fun to drive fast, but we're not in Germany. Cons: I've had many mechanical and computer issues. Driver side electric window mechanism replaced, catalytic converter replaced, speakers go in and out on the front driver side, ignition coils replaced, uses a lot of oil, check engine light on more often than not. At least a $1000 everytime I have to take it to the shop. The interior design isn't practical. The second cup holder is in the middle console but it's very cumbersome to access. I'm shopping for a new car and it won't be an Audi.

Be prepared to spend $$$ on maintenance
By uknowhu on 03/24/11 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's great when it everything is in running order. I bought the car new and have since run it to 188k miles. At 115k, the engine died on me. Something came loose that ruined one of the cylinders. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a mechanic that was able to procure me a used engine with 60k on it. After that, the bushings had to be replaced and then the fuel pump. I love my car and still have it, but I don't think I'll buy Audi again. Too much money for maintenance and gas.

Worst car ever
By john on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A week after I bought the car the fuel pump went. Center arm rest broke and so did the glove box. Closed the door one day and the side air bags went off 6000 in repairs for the side airbags but was covered by Audi USA. Thermostat broke twice. The speakers cut in and out. Rear Windows won't work and front ones work when they feel like it. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles Audi says this is normal. Had to replace the clutch. And transmission rebuild. Coils always fail leading to misfiring witch overheated my engine blowing the head gasket and cracking the head. There is lots more I'm forgetting I could have bought this car ten times over.

Audi A4 1.8t 2004
By BoomBoom on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Nice reliable car until the CVT transmission went out at only 71,000 miles. $6,000 repair from the dealer. $5,000 to rebuild it. Great mileage. Good ride and handles well. Looks sharp. Should have bought extended warranty. Won't be buying another Audi.

Great AWD Wagon
By Steve on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Older couples' car with all documentation. Rides, looks and feels excellent. Great Bose stereo. Ultra sport package is awesome! Easy to forget this is a wagon. I traded in a 2008 Suzuki SX4 4 cyl AWD hatchback for this car. I wanted more power and luxury. Did some research and, an Avant 3.0 was the best bet. I really like the B6 (2002-05) generation of this car, Audi styling at its' epitome. Current generations (B7 & B8 late 2005-08, 2009-) A4s' styling is way out there, not my taste at all.

Never Buy Audi Worst Experience Ever!
By Jh27 on 07/12/10 00:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to take my car into the shop 5 times so far this year. First time I had to replace all ignition coils with recall (engine light flashing and car vibrating). 2nd time replaced coil pack for V6 engine light went on. 3rd time they checked engine and had the light off for 2 weeks. Light came on again said it was spark plugs. Didn't replace spark plugs because they charge too much. 5th time came in and said i had to replace spark plugs and fuel injector. charged 195 dollars for labor. They rip people off. Replaced parts with labor was 370 dollars. My car's check engine light is on again now. Least reliable vehicle ever.