Used 2004 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love and hate, go hand in hand for this car.
By Matt B

2004 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

You really have to be passionate about owning this car. Like, to a point where fixing it as almost your priority. There is something constantly wrong with this car. Sunroof leak... ruins the headliner... also to a point where water will ruin the amp.... suspension issues with the control arm bushings not lasting, J-plug cracking and leaking coolant... and putting plastic just where it doesn't belong, window electronics crap out too. It's almost not worth the premium price brand new if you think about it. There is always something wrong with this car. It was probably best to lease this car when it was brand new... don't get this car used... there is a reason why you don't see so many of these cars on the road. And as far and repairing this car... parts are expensive and what crawl space do you have to work with. You have to remove so many excess things just to get to what you need. I loved this car, but it was such a hassle.

Fun to drive at a price
By iamme1979

2004 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have now owned my 2004 audi a4 3.0L with ultrasport package for a bit over 4 years. This car is a blast to drive, and living in Minnesota, it is the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. Having said that I have been most definitely disappointed with the reliability. It seems every 4-6 months I have a major repair, not including the little things that I take care of myself. New tires every 1-2 years (15,000 miles/yr)Timing belt at 75,000, new radiator fan, new clutch and flywheel. I have spent $4000 in repairs on it this year alone. So beware and know that it may be cheaper than some, has great style, and is a lot of fun, but you may be better off with something more durable.

AWD, Auto dim mirrors, Xenon Headlights

more durable interior, and overall build quality

Great AWD Wagon
By Steve

2004 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Older couples' car with all documentation. Rides, looks and feels excellent. Great Bose stereo. Ultra sport package is awesome! Easy to forget this is a wagon. I traded in a 2008 Suzuki SX4 4 cyl AWD hatchback for this car. I wanted more power and luxury. Did some research and, an Avant 3.0 was the best bet. I really like the B6 (2002-05) generation of this car, Audi styling at its' epitome. Current generations (B7 & B8 late 2005-08, 2009-) A4s' styling is way out there, not my taste at all.

Bose stereo is AWESOME, plug my iPad, etc. in. and away I go. The interior is very luxurious, all controls are placed well. Power seats are so comfortable! It rides like a dream, Quattro AWD is simply the best out there. This car was a good choice for me, I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

This baby drinks gas. Not a guzzler but, I do notice. The controls buttons are all worn, this happened in my 2004 VW Touareg at 22,000-25,000 miles as well. Fixes/solutions anyone? Some people still can't believe this is a 6 year old car. It still looks relevant and still catches your eye, love that.

Very happy after ten months
By jeffjnewport

2004 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had the benefit of reading a bunch of reviews before buying my 2004 Audi A4 Avant, so I figured that I'd add my two cents to the mix. The Audi wasn't initially on my radar screen. I was looking to spend $20,000 on a used wagon that could handle snow (which my BMW 528E could not). I was taken by the Passat Wagon, drove it, then almost sprung for a new one, but I got spooked by the aggressive discounting by local dealers, which usually means bad resale value in a few years. Then I looked closely at the Saab 9-5, BMW 3-Series, and Audi A4 wagons. Considering handling, comfort, volume, price, re-sale, the Audi blew me away. Now ten months later, I can further confirm that this is a great car.

It's a very satisfying car to drive, you wouldn't even know that it's a staion wagon. The tiptronic isn't quite a like manual transmission, but it is fun out of the green light and nice for controlling deceleration to save on brakes. This car has excellent steering and braking control. Its standard stereo system good.

1) Auto climate control tends to overcorrect between heat and AC - even with a 1 degree change. 2) Too much time difference between the regular wiper speed and the fastest setting on the intermdiate speed. 3) Drink holders 4) Visibility out of the back window and also on the side is poor due to the thick side beam between the windows.

Ultra-Sport Avant Ultra-Fun!
By CVG

2004 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just looking at the car makes me grin ear to ear. Great lines and inside it just continues, leather, feel-good dash, excellent sound system. Fast enough and brakes that actually do there job. Drove from Chicago to New Jersey with the wife and our two dogs. Fold-down rear seats with built-in dog screen, the tops! I have become an Audi enthusiast! The dealership was top notch along with the salesman. The service incredible.

Sport steering wheel, heated seats, lights, brilliant red paint and the red glow of the dash.

Can't really think of any, unless Audi can figure out how to get me out of work in order to drive this car more often!