2004 Audi A4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
A disappointment
By bearuk on 12/06/13 16:54 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The good points: The ride and handling are great, the convertible top design is a delight. The bad: Everything is going to cost you (more). Within 50 miles of driving I had a check engine light. The interior ergonomics are, in my opinion, dreadful, with the single cheap plastic cupholder as a start, the plastic click click switches, and more plastic parts that break (sun visor clip, center armrest for me). The extremely annoying warnings. There's the two hour 'stop driving and take a break' warning. the tone when you open the drivers door with the turn signal on. It treats the driver like a moron. Never again!

THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING!
By lenti on 03/29/12 12:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the A4 convertible new. I only used it as a second car and have driven 32,000 miles now. When it still was under warranty a warning light come on and I was told it is nothing serious and AUDI service made it go away. The light came on and off several times in the last year. Recently the car was hesitating when accelerating. AUDI now quoted $2,200 for repair of the transmission control box. When it was in repair they told me they have found problems with the transmission and the repair would be $7,000!! Can anyone imagine that on a car for $50,000 with only 32,000 miles.

Audi -Never again
By driver98 on 05/15/11 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Bought an A4 2004 with extended warranty. Made a maintanence checkup with Keys Audi in Los Angeles. Told me i had to wait 2 weeks. i origanlly had a bad vibration problem to seek the appt anyway. 2 weeks latwer at 103,000 mile son car they would not honor the 100,00 warranty. AND would not honor the extended warranty. I called Audi America and bitc$$! Made them honor the extended warranty. Only got an oil change and tire rotation( SCREWED) OK THEN i asked them what was the vibration,THEY TOLD ME...Motor Mounts. Wanted 2k from the dealer to fix. I went to local mech for $800. Replaced them vibration was still there. 3 days later ENGINE BLEW! Due to timing chain fail.Called them,did nothing

Audi A4 1.8t 2004
By BoomBoom on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Nice reliable car until the CVT transmission went out at only 71,000 miles. $6,000 repair from the dealer. $5,000 to rebuild it. Great mileage. Good ride and handles well. Looks sharp. Should have bought extended warranty. Won't be buying another Audi.

Unreliable luxury
By unreliable luxury on 05/17/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

CVT transmission had to be replaced at 50k miles, but had the symptoms at an earlier 30k miles (there's an existing TSB for this issue). Working with Audi of America to see what our options are. Always had the vehicle serviced at an Audi dealer at the prescribed maintenance intervals. Day after the trans install, the check engine light was on, which was found to be a defect part on the 'new' transmission. Love the car, but can't afford the maintenance. I thought German cars were built to last. A lot of other little things are broken, not working, or just acting up in the car. I think it's time to see what BMW has to offer...

CVT- Rare Code
By jjmiller on 03/17/10 19:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

3rd week of ownership transmission shot. CVT with Rare Code GZE looked all over country finally found used. New $6000 Used $2500. Not how I wanted to start with Audi. Will sell once fixed. Dealer not helpful at all. Left me to find trans. so they wouldn't have to stand behind it. THANKS. Won't by Audi again.

Keeping my A4 Cab!
By Rich on 01/16/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had Audis (3 of them) for 14 years. Historically problems, but this gorgeous green A4 3.0L 2004 cab has been great! Oh yeah, a minor electrical things telling me my satellite radio isn't working (although it does just fine!), but that's nothing. The car is so great to drive. Lacking a little on comfort for long trips, but that's no surprise. I have only 67K miles (about 5 years) and have no thoughts of looking for anything else. Can't come up with anything I'd enjoy driving more than this. And the wind screen is great, allowing me to put top down (windows and heater up) when sunny and 45 when dressed appropriately. I love this car!!!

After all these years... still fun
By Rod on 06/14/09 17:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

OK. Had this car 5 years now and wanted to add some perspective to all these reviews. First, car is great and works very well. No major issues while under warranty. A few little things here and there -- warm up when cold is rough and car rattles a bit, cup holder finally bit the dust in dash and will never come out again. (Partly its own fault and partly my anger out of its complete uselessness). Low water light for window washer comes on for no reason. Out of warranty had to have some vacuum hose work done for $700. Overall the car is still great but with all the little nits and nags you would expect with any car after 5 years and 70k miles. Roof great and no leaks!

A blast to drive but VERY pricey to fix!
By Paul on 05/18/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an amazing car to drive. It handles like a dream on both dry roads and ice packed roads. The interior is beautiful and very functional. You will definitely get some head turns with this car. I would, however, anyone who is considering buying this car to reconsider. The car is extremely expensive to fix and seems to have more problems than the average car. I have taken amazing car of the car but unfortunately it has not returned the favor. In the past 6 months I have put approximately $4500 into the car. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I would highly recommend looking at a Toyota convertible.

So So Audi
By FLAJIM on 12/06/08 15:45 PM (PST)

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have had my A4 for 2.5 yrs. I had 34000 miles on the car when I bought and now have 82000. In the last year I have had to replace the ignition coil, fuel pump, and I'm getting ready to take it in for a trans module that costs $2000. And I just found out my top leaks and will need to be replaced at $2500. This is a car you need to get rid of at 40 or 50k miles. Audi I hope you see this review. It's time to trade for a Toyota or Honda.