2003 Audi A4 Consumer Review: Still happy after 10 months

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

1.8T quattro Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Still happy after 10 months
By bjblackmamba1 on

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased in MI with 110k miles after my 14 yr old Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't worth fixing anymore. With regards to comfort and luxury, this was certainly a step up, growing up with only Japanese cars. Build quality, heaviness of German engineering is evident, but not without flaws. I had to put some money into the car considering its age. Maintenance/Repair: Timing belt-$800, rear coolant flange-$200, rear window regulator-$360, battery-$190. Otherwise, it's a great car. Very comfortable, nice features, and a great drive. After an APR tune on the ECU, it has 235hp vs 170hp previously, which makes it fun and adequately powerful. It hasn't had a huge effect on mileage, except for a heavy foot

The clutch isn't too soft or too hard, which is nice. Test-driving a new Mazdaspeed 3, I was disappointed at its very light clutch. The A4 clutch is just right. Other great features include the heated seats (must for cold MI winters), nice leather, luxury interior/exterior and enormous trunk. Handling is great with Audi's respected Quattro system.

The non-Bose stereo (Audi Symphony II) is not the greatest or a very powerful unit. Premium fuel required for the turbo (esp w/ APR tune), but worth the cost vs lesser cars. Even with a heavy foot and 95% city driving, I get 19-20 mpg. Despite being in the shop for the few maintenance items my first 3 mos of owning the A4, it has been trouble-free thus far. Take care of the car and it will take care of you. If considering, be sure to have checked for oil sludge (if oil changes were infrequent or did not use full synthetic), as this was an issue among this line, though thankfully not mine.