My beloved mechanical trainwreck
By ironlion49 on
2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I love this car. I also hate this car. Bought it with 43,000 miles on it, and 5k later had to replace the clutch (of course not under warranty). Since then, traction control cpu has failed (dealership fails repeatedly to fix it), THREE ignition coils have failed (one on vacation)... the list goes on. I cringe when the car so much as shudders now- it feels as though the thing's just waiting for the worst possible moment to break. Styling is great, fuel economy is decent, interior comfort and design is stellar. Turbo lag is ridiculous- the power delay is embarrassingly pronounced. The mechanical issues are too much. This has soured my opinion of Audi- my next car will not be an Audi.
Favorite Features
Interior comfort and styling, Quattro (especially in snow and ice), ride noise is minimal, car feels well balanced when stressed laterally, interior layout is generous (though at 6'2" my knees dig into the protruding center console)- passengers seem to fit well.
Suggested Improvements
RELIABILITY!!. High-octane fuel for a 0-60 time of 8+ seconds? Improve stereo wiring. Improve/reduce turbo lag. BOTTOM LINE: test drive and inspect this THOROUGHLY before buying. There are good ones, and there some very, very bad A4s out there. If it's up for sale, it's probably the latter.