2003 Audi A4 Consumer Review: Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Manua

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Manual
By Mike on

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since new. At 145K miles, engine gave out, with $6K repair needed to replace major engine components. Serviced regularly with oil change q 5K miles. Never driven hard, still has original clutch. However, both catalytic converters had to be replaced at 82K and 110k miles. Multiple parts inside needed replacing as well. When Audi USA was contacted over the engine problem, they blew me off (which I would understand if this engine defect were unique to my car, but it isn't!) I would highly recommend that anyone buying A4s with 1.8 or 3 L engines carefully read other similar events on the internet before buying a used Audi. Don't make a big mistake.

Favorite Features

The car is well built and very tight. The 3 liter engine is very responsive and fun to drive, especially with a manual. Ride is quite good. There are many engineering designs on the car which are great

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is not good. Too many parts fail and are expensive to replace. I would suggest Audi evaluate what the problem is with the engine which causes it to fail.
By kurtj7
on 08/26/13 11:08 AM (PDT)

I own a 2003 A4 3.0 6M with 118K on the odometer. May need a steering rack and a power steering pump. Before I invest in this rather pricey job, please tell me what happened to your motor to cause such a catastrophic failure at 145K. The only thing I can think of that might cause such destruction is a timing belt failure. Presumably, such had been replaced in your car, since the factory figure for such is 110,000 miles.