2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
best car I have ever owned
By chris on 03/03/06 10:41 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most comfortable car, and I love going on long trips, in the rain or snow.. I have had 2 back surgeries and for once I can drive in comfort. Amazing seats. A blast to drive and at 40k not a single problem. Great service free oil changes etc by dealor were always a positive experience. Would definitly buy Audi again, but I dont want to part with this car. !!

Huge mistake
By cneff on 02/03/06 20:37 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first mistake was to start the car. Now I know German cars need care, but this car was at the dealer for 150 days (45 in a row) for all sorts of issues. Audi USA sent me to 4 dealers before they sent someone for Germany to take a look, they kept saying I am having a unique experience - guess I am blessed. The team from Germany spent 2 weeks rebuilding it, however, that did not stop the electrical issues. Audi USA now says I can go anywhere I like. Audi does not stand behind the product. If they just took the time to offer a customer service experience I'd might take another chance.

Happy in Hampstead
By robrr44 on 01/28/06 23:49 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one solid car! The handling and responsiveness are unmatched. The stock 1.8T is a little lacking in the power category but that was solved with $300 and a chip upgrade performed by my local performance shop. I obviously bought used but have since put on 18,000 miles with no problems. My only gripe is with the electrical system as I have replaced at least 5 bulbs in the past 9 months. But they are DIY and don't cost much so worth the performance, handling, and style of this pure performance machine. BMWho? This won't be my last Audi.

Best Cabriolet Ever Driven or Made
By GR8TA4 on 01/15/06 13:09 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This cabriolet with the 3.0L power plant and the awesome handling of the Audi suspension and body design has been very impressive. We have driven a lot of highway miles on it and find it to be comfortable at the end of a 700 mile day, quite a statement for a sports rated vehicle and unlike any that we have had before. If you buy one beware it is addictive. If you have one you already know.

Mid Life Crisis
By greg mitchell on 12/17/05 16:46 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I drive frequently back and forth to a remote office, a four hundred round mile trip. 100 miles is secondary, the rest is highway. I have enjoyed the car immensely. I am 6-1 and have plenty of legroom. The manual transmission is silky smooth and the handling superb. I have averaged 22 mpg over 52k miles with 93 octane. I enjoy the manual shift acceleration. I am sure I could squeak out a couple of more mpg if I took it a little easier. I put snow tires on and have had no problems traveling in a few pretty good snow storms. Only mechanical problem was a bad A/C compressor at 20k. Definitely the funnest car I have owned.

Lemon
By Lemon on 11/17/05 00:16 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 1st (and last) Audi after many VW's. I've had nothing but troubles. Numerous electrical problems (too many to list) the dealership either can't or won't fix. Interior is cramped. I'm 6' tall and 200lbs and have to wedge myself in and out of the car. Driver's side leg room is very bad. Center console digs into my right knee. Cup holder and glove box are totally useless. Interior knobs and parts have broken, melted, and fallen off. Exterior parts fall off. Tires wear unevenly and one is bald after only 30k mi. The dealership laughs at all the problems I report every time I bring the car in for service. Luckily it's a lease and I will be happy to pay the aquisition fee to give it back.

Disappointing
By LA Driver on 10/30/05 21:30 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After great initial enthusiasm for this car I have become very disillusioned. I have had ignition coils replaced twice (once stranding me 400 miles from home), more flat tires than ever in my life, squeeks and rattles, seatbelts that get wet when it rains, on and on. I love this car, but I can't afford to keep it now that the warranty has expired. It's cost me $2000 in the last two months in repairs. It's great to drive, but too unpredictable to enjoy all of it's wonderful features.

Great car but purchase with caution
By Audi Enthusiast on 10/11/05 20:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After owning my A4 for 2 yrs now, I am satisfied but at the same time disappointed. I've had my fuel pump burn out at 29000 miles and at about 38000 miles, the water pump slowly leaked into the timing belt and its components. This made the timing chain snap and one of the pistons slapped 2 of the valves... bottom line, my car was at the dealer for 2 weeks. Had it not been under warranty, $5000 in damages.

Beautiful car not worth your time
By MikeandMel on 09/15/05 12:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one georgeous car. When it runs, it's great. But as the miles add up, flaws start to add up one after another. At 50000 miles, I was told there was an oil leak (no visible drips under the car). The warranty fixed it. Then, my FM radio reception died unless I was within 15 miles of the station (previously the reception was MUCH better). Just prior to the 60000 mile service, the engine quit. Thought it was electrical. It was actually a broken cam shaft! All freeway driving, I baby this thing. Average 36 MPG. How can I break a cam shaft? Dealer says everything looks fine, not abused. Poor manufacturing in my opinion. Looking at a $4000+ bill to get it fixed. Not my idea of reliability.

Surpassed Expectation
By WDS on 08/22/05 15:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Looking to move into a lightly used German sports sedan, one drive and the decision was over. Much tighter steering and responsiveness than the others I looked at. Even though it only has a 4 cyl, the turbo more than makes up the difference, but no nagging lag problems. Build quality was unreal and the car is easy to add-on aftermarket engine and body mods. I'm sold and this won't be my last Audi.