2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
2003 Audi A4 1.8T CVT
By Darwin on 07/04/07 22:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Compared to a reliability of a Honda Accord, I rate the reliability of this car to 8 out of 10, 10 being a Honda. Problems I encountered include driver side window rolling down on its own due to sensitive anti-pinch protection (4 dealer trips to fix), moonroof moving on its own (switch keeps going bad), driver side speakers going in and out. Good mileage (26 mpg), nice interior/exterior. CVT has a slight delay, which is sometimes annoying. Sound system is good even for a basic system (except for the speaker problem).

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome
By bate119 on 07/03/07 19:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Audi's Quattro AWD is simply breathtaking. Snow, ice or rain, this car cuts through it like butter. In fact, we used it instead of our Ford Explorer in the snow, ice and rain last winter. It's also easily the best handling car I've ever owned! German engineering at its best! The red lights illuminate the dashboard at night, incluing two red LEDs that project downward from the ceiling, creating a cockpit-like environment. I am now a dedicated Audi driver forever, never follow!

Good buy
By Mark H on 05/08/07 13:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If it weren't for the annoying electrical problems (3 headlight and 2 turn signal burnouts) I'd rate the reliability excellent. The A4 is fun to drive, has decent gas mileage and the quality of build is excellent. It handles wonderfully and even with the small engine, it has plenty of zip in all situations. I love the surefooted AWD especially in our Montana winters. I'll definitely buy Audi again.

Poor CVT Reliability
By zippy753 on 04/19/07 15:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The problem is that the CVT transmission is a sealed, closed design and can't be rebuilt or fixed. A replacement transmission costs about $8000 installed. Not worth keeping out of warranty.

Fun car! But very expensive to fix!
By trending on 04/17/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First A4, owned 2.5 years now. Very fun to drive, Quattro makes it handle like a dream. Very good in slippery weather. 60K regular service cost $700 at Audi dealer. 3 months later car needed all 4 brakes to pass state inspection $950! rotors must be replaced at each brake job (every 30K to 40K depending on how you drive). 2 months after brake job Bose stereo quit working. Not covered under CPO extended warranty $1700. Very expensive to own after original 50K warranty expires!

Disappointing Audi
By Disappointed on 03/31/07 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 03 A4 1.8T Quattro (53K miles) is constantly in the shop. The dealership once forgot to change the oil during scheduled maintenance, forcing a breakdown on 95. Another time, the oil pump failed, again forcing a breakdown on 95. Further, separate fuel coils have failed, forcing two additional breakdowns on the highway. Aside from reliability, the A4 1.8T Quattro is a sluggish car (although it handles nicely in bad weather). I previously owned an A4 and had similar issues. While this car looks good inside and out, its reliability is unsatisfactory, to put it mildly. I will never buy an Audi again, and I urge you to exercise caution before purchasing one.

Quick, powerful and fun!
By judirow on 02/12/07 17:24 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a dream! Four years and it has never been in the shop for anything but a service. It's fast, it's fun, it has a great gear box and great heated seats in the winter. The 4WD takes it over mounds of snow without a wimper. The only thing wrong with it is that it only gets 20 MPG in combined driving and takes premium gasoline.

Audi Quattro 1.8
By Audi on 02/02/07 14:49 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Audi brand new and had to replace the fuel pump twice. Once at 28,000 miles (under warranty) and just recently at 57,000 miles (out of warranty, a $500 repair). Other than that the car has been very reliable and fun to drive. With the Quattro all wheel drive it is very easy to get around in the snow.

Good engine - bad everything else
By Alex on 12/11/06 11:57 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has had so many electrical problems I can't even remember all of them. Parking lights each went out one at a time requiring separate visit to dealership for each one. Bad design caused moisture to corrode the contacts. Sunroof was opening on its own and dealer finally found problem after 2 years. Headlight alignment warning light came on, was fixed and now is coming on again after out of warranty. Stereo speakers are shorted out and intermittent. Also, back window just fell out one day. Engine is good but even it had sludge issue and took three days to repair. Hood latch gets jammed and won't open. Cupholder problems - not big enough and won't even pop out of back seat armrest.

Great used luxury sport vehicle
By dwmcginnis on 11/23/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We were looking for a sports sedan but not neccessarily the Audi, but when we saw the car it immediately caught our attention. We really liked the exterior line and the interior finishes. After the test drive we were hooked, but concerned about the reliablity of the Audi brand. Our fears were relieved when we researched the car. After a second test drive we bought the car and have no regrets. The car handles extremely well on the back roads. We have had no troubles with the car which is approaching 67,000 miles. Our only beef is the car feels cramped when our two elementary age kids are with us. The car performed and handle extremely well on a recent mtn. trip.