Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Only the looks. It looks tough, meanest ride on the street. At least it looks that way. My daughter has lost faith in anything I have to say about cars now.

How about lowering the costs for replacement parts. Better yet, how about using some quality parts. And quality does NOT = expense!!! This is a poor representation of the reliable German Werks!!! This car is a Piece of WORK, not worth the paint!!! Never will buy another Audi, recommend u don't!!

I wish I never bought this car!
By qe212

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my A4 in November of 2006 with 33K miles and now have 64K on it. I live in New England and wanted a 4 wheel drive sedan. In the three years I have owned the car I've replaced the windshield wiper motor twice ($500 each) and the windshield washer pump once! I've also had to replace the the rack and pinion steering, all 6 ignition cylinders, timing belt and water pump (Audi recommendation = $1200), brakes. I'm at the point I'm afraid to drive the car on any long trips and use it as little as possible. I'll be trading it in soon for a Honda Civic (going to take a hit on the trade in value and what I owe) but I just can't afford to keep the Audi.

It's great in snow and rain.

Love my car.....but....things to know
By Damien

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my audi and will say that it drives the same as the day I bought it (with 8800 miles on it). With that said, repairs are expensive so you should know that. Find a good VW or Audi mechanic and don't use your dealership as they are a rip off. Here are some things I have paid for on my car with 86K miles on it. At 43K a new clutch....70K a new timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump, front breaks at 72K and rear breaks at $77K.....82K catalytic converter, 85K miles suspension arms, etc. In the last year I have put $5,000 in my audi and plan to keep it for another 80K miles. My mechanic has been great and lesson learned is after the warranty was up I should have found a mechanic.

Handling, comfort, AWD, acceleration, over 20MPG still, bose sound system, and full size spare.

As many have said cup holders, rear seating space, and expense of repairs.

Perfect combination ...
By peterr

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned several convertibles from Triumphs to Mercedes, I have never had one as perfect as the Audi A4 Cabrio. Imagine a car that treats you well when cruising the boulevard and at the same time lets you throw it into a corner at heart pounding speeds. A car that handles like a sports car but lets you take 3 friends along for the ride. Ar car that makes your 10 wife look like an 11 and gets you all the looks you need. PERFECT.

I got the sport and premium package, I recommend it to anyone looking at this car.

Looking forward to trading it in for the 2009 V8 S4 version.

Beware the 2003 Audi A4 4WD
By Lydia Bernstein

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased 2 2003 Audi A4's at the same time. Just as the warranty expired, similar defects appeared in both cars. In just over two years, almost everything has gone wrong with both cars. They are both lemons. The Audi dealership we went to charged me almost $3K for 2 visits in which they couldn't diagnose the problem. The turbo exploded 2 weeks ago in one of them and damaged the engine in the process. Both cars are a money pit, and I am attempted to dump both & absorb the loss. Audi corporate apologized for my frustration & loss & asked if there was anything else they could do today. DON'T BUY THESE CARS!!!!