Used 2003 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Only the looks. It looks tough, meanest ride on the street. At least it looks that way. My daughter has lost faith in anything I have to say about cars now.

How about lowering the costs for replacement parts. Better yet, how about using some quality parts. And quality does NOT = expense!!! This is a poor representation of the reliable German Werks!!! This car is a Piece of WORK, not worth the paint!!! Never will buy another Audi, recommend u don't!!

Love my car.....but....things to know
By Damien

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my audi and will say that it drives the same as the day I bought it (with 8800 miles on it). With that said, repairs are expensive so you should know that. Find a good VW or Audi mechanic and don't use your dealership as they are a rip off. Here are some things I have paid for on my car with 86K miles on it. At 43K a new clutch....70K a new timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump, front breaks at 72K and rear breaks at $77K.....82K catalytic converter, 85K miles suspension arms, etc. In the last year I have put $5,000 in my audi and plan to keep it for another 80K miles. My mechanic has been great and lesson learned is after the warranty was up I should have found a mechanic.

Handling, comfort, AWD, acceleration, over 20MPG still, bose sound system, and full size spare.

As many have said cup holders, rear seating space, and expense of repairs.

Beware the 2003 Audi A4 4WD
By Lydia Bernstein

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased 2 2003 Audi A4's at the same time. Just as the warranty expired, similar defects appeared in both cars. In just over two years, almost everything has gone wrong with both cars. They are both lemons. The Audi dealership we went to charged me almost $3K for 2 visits in which they couldn't diagnose the problem. The turbo exploded 2 weeks ago in one of them and damaged the engine in the process. Both cars are a money pit, and I am attempted to dump both & absorb the loss. Audi corporate apologized for my frustration & loss & asked if there was anything else they could do today. DON'T BUY THESE CARS!!!!

Just OK!
By britt11286

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Audi for 2 years and it has been to the dealership for multiple problems 4 times and it needs to go back again. From interior peeling to ignition coils, it really has been one thing after another, mostly little things though. I hate the fact that the 2nd cup holder is in the center console, pretty useless! However, I have to say that I really love this car. It is a smooth ride and it can virtually get through snow and ice with very little slipping if any at all. The Bose stereo puts out great sound. It handles corners great. Could have a little more power, but its not bad. Will get another A4 but it will definitely be the newer 2009 model. Hopefully they'll get it right in 2009.

AWD, handles great, Bose sound system.

Interior peels, Power window failure, 2nd cup holder in the middle console.

Love the car, but it's a heartbreaker!
By Erin S

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my A4, which makes it only more painful that it's been in the shop more times than I'd care to count. It's peppy, smooth, and easy to handle on the highway. It's beautiful inside when everything's working. But, it's had more broken electrical parts than I knew existed on a car, and every repair is crazy expensive. I wonder if they fly the parts one by one from Germany! Like others, have had multiple issues with the stereo, sunroof, various lights/indicators, relays, in addition to the dead fuel pump. Tires pop like balloons, and they're expensive, too. An expensive love, for sure.

Interior styling, acceleration, trunk space (really!), comfort, gas mileage isn't too bad.

For the price you pay for these, the reliability is completely abysmal. If you're going to make a car with so many parts that break, at least make the parts and service halfway affordable!