2003 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome
By bate119 on 07/03/07 19:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Audi's Quattro AWD is simply breathtaking. Snow, ice or rain, this car cuts through it like butter. In fact, we used it instead of our Ford Explorer in the snow, ice and rain last winter. It's also easily the best handling car I've ever owned! German engineering at its best! The red lights illuminate the dashboard at night, incluing two red LEDs that project downward from the ceiling, creating a cockpit-like environment. I am now a dedicated Audi driver forever, never follow!

Good buy
By Mark H on 05/08/07 13:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If it weren't for the annoying electrical problems (3 headlight and 2 turn signal burnouts) I'd rate the reliability excellent. The A4 is fun to drive, has decent gas mileage and the quality of build is excellent. It handles wonderfully and even with the small engine, it has plenty of zip in all situations. I love the surefooted AWD especially in our Montana winters. I'll definitely buy Audi again.

Poor CVT Reliability
By zippy753 on 04/19/07 15:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The problem is that the CVT transmission is a sealed, closed design and can't be rebuilt or fixed. A replacement transmission costs about $8000 installed. Not worth keeping out of warranty.

Fun car! But very expensive to fix!
By trending on 04/17/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First A4, owned 2.5 years now. Very fun to drive, Quattro makes it handle like a dream. Very good in slippery weather. 60K regular service cost $700 at Audi dealer. 3 months later car needed all 4 brakes to pass state inspection $950! rotors must be replaced at each brake job (every 30K to 40K depending on how you drive). 2 months after brake job Bose stereo quit working. Not covered under CPO extended warranty $1700. Very expensive to own after original 50K warranty expires!

Disappointing Audi
By Disappointed on 03/31/07 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 03 A4 1.8T Quattro (53K miles) is constantly in the shop. The dealership once forgot to change the oil during scheduled maintenance, forcing a breakdown on 95. Another time, the oil pump failed, again forcing a breakdown on 95. Further, separate fuel coils have failed, forcing two additional breakdowns on the highway. Aside from reliability, the A4 1.8T Quattro is a sluggish car (although it handles nicely in bad weather). I previously owned an A4 and had similar issues. While this car looks good inside and out, its reliability is unsatisfactory, to put it mildly. I will never buy an Audi again, and I urge you to exercise caution before purchasing one.

Quick, powerful and fun!
By judirow on 02/12/07 17:24 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a dream! Four years and it has never been in the shop for anything but a service. It's fast, it's fun, it has a great gear box and great heated seats in the winter. The 4WD takes it over mounds of snow without a wimper. The only thing wrong with it is that it only gets 20 MPG in combined driving and takes premium gasoline.

Audi Quattro 1.8
By Audi on 02/02/07 14:49 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Audi brand new and had to replace the fuel pump twice. Once at 28,000 miles (under warranty) and just recently at 57,000 miles (out of warranty, a $500 repair). Other than that the car has been very reliable and fun to drive. With the Quattro all wheel drive it is very easy to get around in the snow.

Great used luxury sport vehicle
By dwmcginnis on 11/23/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We were looking for a sports sedan but not neccessarily the Audi, but when we saw the car it immediately caught our attention. We really liked the exterior line and the interior finishes. After the test drive we were hooked, but concerned about the reliablity of the Audi brand. Our fears were relieved when we researched the car. After a second test drive we bought the car and have no regrets. The car handles extremely well on the back roads. We have had no troubles with the car which is approaching 67,000 miles. Our only beef is the car feels cramped when our two elementary age kids are with us. The car performed and handle extremely well on a recent mtn. trip.

Not too bad
By DTA43 on 10/09/06 08:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for over 3 years now. Had to get the windshield replaced in the first week: it had a defect that made everything look "wobbly." The fuel pump gave out at 1.5 years/30K miles, stranding me at 5 am (very frustrating!). I have since witnessed about 4 other identical models stranded in parking lots or on the freeway. Since the fuel pump, the car has not given me any problems, aside from strange electrical issues such as the mirrors rotating out of memorized position.

Great car
By tom on 09/10/06 12:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it brand new 3.5 yrs ago and had only 2 problems. Oil sludge build up at 43K miles which the dealer fixed right away. Fuel pump went out at 57K, warranty had already expired at 50K, but dealer replaced w/50% off. Other than that, its been a great reliable car. Would purchase another Audi in a heartbeat.