2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Solid performer with great intentions
By Andrew on 09/09/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is reliable, it breaks but rarely is it anything that you can't get home on. I grenaded the clutch 2 months after I got it (the clutch was shot when I bought it) and sawed through the transmission case, but she still got me home! It is a fast car, and there are many modifications out there!

Love/Hate Hate
By Spin90 on 09/09/08 12:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is truly a driver’s car, both interior and exterior finish had a classy sturdy feel. Economy and performance were great, 25/city and highway up to 33 long range trips. Now for the nightmare, the list that went wrong was excessive, items that normally should have no problems for 10 years/100,000 miles started to fail within two week of ownership. Although the warranty/dealer took care of everything while in warranty, afterwards it got out of control. Audi could care less other than to close my filed complaints as soon as possible. Own it get rid of it after warranty, shelf life is short.

Run Far, Far, Far Away
By JT on 07/25/08 06:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's a great car when everything is working. Unfortunately, that is rare. Problems I've encountered in the approximately 35K miles I've owned the car: rear driver side power window fail - $400 rear pass. side power window fail - $400 (I live in mortal fear of operating the power windows now - I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the front ones go) CV joint - $1200 bottomed out and punched a hole in oil pan (ok partly my fault) $800 check engine light - faulty "crankshaft assistor" $1250 bulbs are difficult to replace. Do not buy this car if not under warranty. You will regret it every day you own it

Giving up the Audi
By pina8 on 04/22/08 20:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After owning the Audi for almost 5 yrs, I'm ready to give it up and move on to a more reliable and cheap to fix sedan (Honda or Toyota). Although it has been fun to drive, i have had a few problems--the initial take-off is dangerous with it sliding and forcibly popping into gear without going anywhere, the air-conditioning never got cold enough (making it worse w/charcoal-colored interior), front air and radio buttons scratched off and needed replacing, frequent engine light indicators going off needing repairs (recent 'oxygen sensor' & gas valve sensor repairs cost almost $1000). It has been fun and sexy to drive though!

My beloved mechanical trainwreck
By ironlion49 on 03/06/08 16:36 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. I also hate this car. Bought it with 43,000 miles on it, and 5k later had to replace the clutch (of course not under warranty). Since then, traction control cpu has failed (dealership fails repeatedly to fix it), THREE ignition coils have failed (one on vacation)... the list goes on. I cringe when the car so much as shudders now- it feels as though the thing's just waiting for the worst possible moment to break. Styling is great, fuel economy is decent, interior comfort and design is stellar. Turbo lag is ridiculous- the power delay is embarrassingly pronounced. The mechanical issues are too much. This has soured my opinion of Audi- my next car will not be an Audi.

Excellence
By Andrew on 01/17/08 21:44 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is amazing, the 5 speed is gear limited at 138 MPH, but it gets there fast with the 1.8T engine. Definitely worthy of a test drive, that's all it takes. One good pull away from a red light and you're hooked. If you're in it for luxury, you are by no means left out, this car has more features than any of the new lincolns, cadillacs, or beemers I have sat in. If you're in it for economy, I'm seeing an average of 26MPG mixed city and highway (about 60/40% respectively), so it's not too shabby.

Nice car, but too many problems
By Ken on 10/29/07 16:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is great when it is working. Unfortunately, it's spent too much time in the shop. It's had engine failure (engine stalled in the middle of the street), air conditioning failure, the stereo kept going mono for the first three years, all brakepads had to be replaced, back windscreen cracked, driver's power window motor failure, alarm siren failed, indicator light failed, engine oil stick broke, sunroof didn't open/close properly- the list goes on, all within the first 5 years. I can't recommend Audi to anyone.

BMW Killer
By Carl on 08/16/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

From Day 1, this automobile has proven to me everything I ever knew about Audi as a whole. I am impressed with its quality, style, design, and attention to detail. It's a resounding 10!

Questionable Reliability
By BigD on 07/21/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Poor acceleration for a 3.0 V6. Fuel economy is abysmal for the level of performance. Electrical problems and fuel pump failures continue to plague this vehicle. Remote transmitters quit after 20K miles. Once the warranty expires be prepared to sink thousands into the vehicle. Look elsewhere for an entry level luxury sedan.

2003 Audi A4 convertible
By Steve53 on 07/13/07 16:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I just purchased a 2003 A4 convertible a few weeks ago. So far I really enjoy driving the car, especially with the top down. It has a little turbo lag but once you get going, it's very smooth. Overall, I really like this car and would recommend it if you want a fun convertible with a back seat. The back seat is small, however, and can only fit two young children I would say.