Used 2003 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Better than a BMW
By gottahaveone

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

BMW owners say that they are superior because BMW just make BMW's where Audi is just a glorified Volkswagon. Doesn't BMW also make the Mini? The only thing that the Volkswagon has in common with the Audi A4 is that they are made in Germany. I have test drove a BMW before I got my Audi and the BMW is outdated and cannot handle corners or any sports driving. If you want a car that is smooth, updated, classy and fast, get the A4!

Favorite Features

Sports suspension, xenon lamps, 17 inch tires, Bose sound system, Triptronic, interior lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Lag before Turbo kicks in, sounds of air through the drivers window at speeds over 80mph

Happy but not Overjoyed
By Mestas

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall I think this car is very competent. The car sticks to the road like glue, but lacks "whiplash" acceleration.

Favorite Features

Interior design, QUATTRO, Tiptronic, Exterior/Interior Design

Suggested Improvements

More Torque out of the 1.8T model. Radio Controls on Steering Wheel

Total Package
By DARNOLD35

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I looked for a long time and drove many cars before I decided on the A4. Sure the IS300 and the BMW may be a little quicker 0-60, but I wanted a car that was more than speed. I feel that when you jump to this level of car that it should deliver in all categories. The Audi does that. I have always been told that for the best ride and handling, you must go with a German car. I have not been disappointed. I chose the Audi over the BMW for two reasons. The interior styling and bang for your buck. I feel that the Audi gives you a better value for your dollar. Also my experience with the service department has been great.

Favorite Features

The interior lights. Sport suspension. Bose stereo. The exterior design is modern without being too radical.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower of course. Deeper growl (noise) from the V6. Service levels should be performed at 5000-mile intervals.

My 3rd Audi is fantastic
By Happy CVT

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the best car I have ever purchased. The build quality is beyond belief! The CVT is so smooth and the performance is amazing. The interior is best I've seen. The car has been problem free and I cannot not find one single item that needs attention. This is my 3rd A4 and they just keep getting better and better. CVT is truly amazing. With CVT your speed just builds and builds with very low engine RPM. It reminds you of an electric motor. Engine RPM stay low under most throttle positions. When pressed hard RPM's peak and your speed builds very rapidly.

Favorite Features

Multitronic CVT transmission is mu favorite technical feature. This transmission has to be the wave of the future. I would expect engine life to be greatly enhanced using this CVT transmission since the engine works so easy with it. Low RPM's means longer engine life.

Suggested Improvements

Audi keep building them this good. A very minor, ,minor suggestion is I would like a setting lower than 64 on the climate control for Winter driving with winter clothes on. A very minor problem.

Audi won out over BMW 3 series and Saab
By audi convert

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For years I'd dreamed of a BMW . . .then I could actually afford one. When I went car shopping, I loved the BMW but the newly designed Saab caught my eye. They both lost my vote after I drove the A4 Quattro. The car simply handled more smoothly and hugged the road even in wet conditions. Been driving it now for 3000 miles and still thrilled with it.

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive quattro feature. Also pleased with IIHS safety rating. . .highest in every category. Heated leather seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

I know that the "plastic" looking material trimming the dash on the A4 1.8 is actually expensive, but it doesn't look it.