Used 2003 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Nice car, but too many problems
By Ken

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is great when it is working. Unfortunately, it's spent too much time in the shop. It's had engine failure (engine stalled in the middle of the street), air conditioning failure, the stereo kept going mono for the first three years, all brakepads had to be replaced, back windscreen cracked, driver's power window motor failure, alarm siren failed, indicator light failed, engine oil stick broke, sunroof didn't open/close properly- the list goes on, all within the first 5 years. I can't recommend Audi to anyone.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability.

Good engine - bad everything else
By Alex

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has had so many electrical problems I can't even remember all of them. Parking lights each went out one at a time requiring separate visit to dealership for each one. Bad design caused moisture to corrode the contacts. Sunroof was opening on its own and dealer finally found problem after 2 years. Headlight alignment warning light came on, was fixed and now is coming on again after out of warranty. Stereo speakers are shorted out and intermittent. Also, back window just fell out one day. Engine is good but even it had sludge issue and took three days to repair. Hood latch gets jammed and won't open. Cupholder problems - not big enough and won't even pop out of back seat armrest.

Favorite Features

Corners well. Reliable engine after I got the sludge problem fixed. Looks mean. Roof rails. Plenty of room in rear storage area, especially with seat folder down. Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the electrical system reliability. Make it easier to recline the seats. You have to struggle turning a wheel to adjust the seat backs.

Great AWD Car
By Jeff

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The only real car to get if you want a sporty AWD car that hauls like an SUV but gets 25 mpg. I love the looks and build quality of the A4 Avant. I literally can not think of another car that I would pick right now to replace it. Get the Bose, it's awesome, save your money on the Nav, it's just okay.

Favorite Features

Bose, Xenon, interior quality and design, exterior design - love the 03 model not the remade 06 version so much.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the way the water sprays out of the windshield washer, it just streams out instead of a wide spray, goofy.

Not worth the electrical problems
By Ken Kasten

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first Avant overheated 3 times in the first two weeks due to a fan control module issue. After 2 1/2 months in repair the computer module was replaced and the heat only worked at 100 plus degrees. At my request, Audi replaced the car and charged me $4,000 for a newer car with less equipment. The first day of the 2nd Avant had the sunroof opening by itself (new switch) and the headlights turning themselves off 3 times over the next 24 months. The computer calls this a "dipped headlight" but it translates to no headlights and another service appointment. After 1 visit to the dealer each month for 3 years, I went out and bought a Volvo V50.

Favorite Features

Interior & exterior styling & detailing. The car handles well and is enjyable to drive (when working). My friends who drive more expensive vehicles always thought the Avant cost more than it did.

Suggested Improvements

Improve upon the turbo lag. Better heat distribution in the heated seats. Inmprove the heating system so heat comes on before engine reaches opertaing temperature like other cars and the fan does not come on full blast with a loud, constant noise for several minutes.

best car I have ever owned
By chris

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most comfortable car, and I love going on long trips, in the rain or snow.. I have had 2 back surgeries and for once I can drive in comfort. Amazing seats. A blast to drive and at 40k not a single problem. Great service free oil changes etc by dealor were always a positive experience. Would definitly buy Audi again, but I dont want to part with this car. !!

Favorite Features

handling, style comfort

Suggested Improvements

I have the 3.0 so cant expect great mileage but that is my only wish. These are heavy and SAFE cars so it is understandable.