2003 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Beware! Buy an Audi at your own risk!
By jtkoomd1 on 08/31/09 02:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As I drove off the lot, the Xenon headlight leveling sensor warning light went on. I had to leave it overnight the first night I owned it! This was a problem that had to be fixed three times in the first year I owned it. My remote trunk release works only sporadically and I've had to fix it three times so far...this number would be higher if I hadn't given up on fixing this problem. I've had problems with the power window switches, power mirrors, and the memory power seats. At 3 years, the rubberized trim around the cabin began to flake off. Though no major engine disasters (so far), I've had many other problems requiring time in the shop!

2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L
By monsterrider on 08/25/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since new and now have 125,000 miles on it. Fuel pump was replaced under recall and everything else has been just routine service. No problems whatsoever. Gas mileage averages about 25 - 26 on the highway. Quattro is great in all weather conditions. Comfortable interior, excellent stereo, Xenon headlamps make night driving easy. This has been an excellent car.

Awesome Car!
By Cam on 08/10/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 has 170,000 miles and is still running beautifully. It is fun to drive, comfortable, and not half bad looking either. Has run flawless its whole life (It has been maintained exactly when suggested by Audi). Will replace the timing belt again soon, though the manual says every 100 or 105k from what I have read it should be replaced every 60- 80k as that is when it is said to break. Build quality is in a whole different class, the car is amazingly sound and solid. Manual shifts smooth and precise. Gas mileage is anywhere from 23-24 city to 30-31 hwy. Quattro is awesome too!!!

Save your money for repairs
By utahsnowrider on 07/30/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for 5 years and purchased it new. I love the handling, performance,and smooth,quiet ride. It handles well in the snow. As soon as the vehicle was off warranty and still under 50,000 miles, I had to replace the power steering pump, cracked vacuum tubes, and oxygen sensors. I calculated that it has cost me $100 per month for repairs since the warranty expired. Not exactly the fine engineering and reliability I expected when I purchased the car. I read a lot of owner reviews that are experiencing the same failures my car has. I still love to drive this car, but I won't be buying another Audi.

All Season Driving
By Michael on 06/28/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 76,000 miles, I am very happy with this car. The interior design is very ergonomic and everything is oriented to the driver. Trunk space is huge. The exterior design is simple, yet elegant. Quattro AWD makes the car suitable for any driving conditions and the car is more than capable of performing in the corners - it just stays controlled at all times. The 1.8T engine is a little under performing considering the brute weight of the vehicle, but an ECU upgrade quickly fixes that issue. What you lose in engine performance, you gain in fuel economy where I get an average in the low 30's on the highway - approximately 27 mpg over all. Original and stock clutch is still going strong.

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon on 05/26/09 05:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Love my car.....but....things to know
By Damien on 04/18/09 11:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my audi and will say that it drives the same as the day I bought it (with 8800 miles on it). With that said, repairs are expensive so you should know that. Find a good VW or Audi mechanic and don't use your dealership as they are a rip off. Here are some things I have paid for on my car with 86K miles on it. At 43K a new clutch....70K a new timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump, front breaks at 72K and rear breaks at $77K.....82K catalytic converter, 85K miles suspension arms, etc. In the last year I have put $5,000 in my audi and plan to keep it for another 80K miles. My mechanic has been great and lesson learned is after the warranty was up I should have found a mechanic.

Beware the 2003 Audi A4 4WD
By Lydia Bernstein on 03/20/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased 2 2003 Audi A4's at the same time. Just as the warranty expired, similar defects appeared in both cars. In just over two years, almost everything has gone wrong with both cars. They are both lemons. The Audi dealership we went to charged me almost $3K for 2 visits in which they couldn't diagnose the problem. The turbo exploded 2 weeks ago in one of them and damaged the engine in the process. Both cars are a money pit, and I am attempted to dump both & absorb the loss. Audi corporate apologized for my frustration & loss & asked if there was anything else they could do today. DON'T BUY THESE CARS!!!!

Just OK!
By britt11286 on 01/10/09 20:19 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Audi for 2 years and it has been to the dealership for multiple problems 4 times and it needs to go back again. From interior peeling to ignition coils, it really has been one thing after another, mostly little things though. I hate the fact that the 2nd cup holder is in the center console, pretty useless! However, I have to say that I really love this car. It is a smooth ride and it can virtually get through snow and ice with very little slipping if any at all. The Bose stereo puts out great sound. It handles corners great. Could have a little more power, but its not bad. Will get another A4 but it will definitely be the newer 2009 model. Hopefully they'll get it right in 2009.

Love the car, but it's a heartbreaker!
By Erin S on 11/10/08 14:00 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my A4, which makes it only more painful that it's been in the shop more times than I'd care to count. It's peppy, smooth, and easy to handle on the highway. It's beautiful inside when everything's working. But, it's had more broken electrical parts than I knew existed on a car, and every repair is crazy expensive. I wonder if they fly the parts one by one from Germany! Like others, have had multiple issues with the stereo, sunroof, various lights/indicators, relays, in addition to the dead fuel pump. Tires pop like balloons, and they're expensive, too. An expensive love, for sure.