2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Too expensive to own out of warranty
By Steve Fox on 12/06/09 14:44 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Avant 3.0 quatro is a great driver's car, but it is too expensive to own once the warranty expired. Fuel injection system, numerous ignition coils, power steering unit ($2,350), windshield wiper motor, etc. With just 65,000 miles, you have to question the benefit-value relationship of hanging on to a car with reliability problems.

Pretty, but not worth it
By audinomore on 11/29/09 21:19 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 50,000 miles. I loved it for the first couple of months, until things started going wrong. I had to replace all the ignition coils, fuel pump, check valves, broken moonroof, broken window regulator, broken cupholder. Oh yea, and just a few months ago there was a fire, cost over $5000 worth of damage under the hood, thank goodness insurance covered it. They said either an ignition coil or the wiring harness had a malfunction. When my coolant tank cracked and wouldn't hold coolant, I decided it was time to trade it in. I loved the car, but I cant afford to keep fixing it and I don't want to be worried all the time about something breaking or catching on fire.

Another Lemon Review
By red on 11/01/09 04:58 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This car is a total lemon. Had to replace the motor and turbo (Audi eventually paid for it after a threatened law suit), electrical system, CVT, multiple headlights and break lights while being told this can be due to "normal" wear and tear. Check engine light is now on for the third time (motor is only one year old) and I have spent $1500 thus far and the problem still isn't resolved. They also replaced my front tires twice before they figured out I had unusual wear because of a front end alignment problem.

Love my Avant
By parkcityxj on 10/26/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Been an awesome car, bought with 77K on it and now has 113K. Still running strong, I like to wrench on the car as a hobby and have saved lots of money. I've done the timing belt as a precaution. The only repairs I've had to do is disassemble the wiper motor which had frozen, a pain to do. I've also had to fix the rear main coolant flange, a cheap part. I have had a few coil packs go on me and I carry a spare. It's two min fix if one goes. I only use Audi Synthetic Oil and Audi fluids as well. I suggest if you buy an Audi, check out one of many Audi Forums. There are DIY write ups for nearly every repair. Original clutch is still holding strong too.

Great car, but reliability issues
By Brian on 09/25/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car certified used with 43k miles on it. I have driven Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes. In general this is a great and solid feeling car. Outstanding interior which I like even better than the new models. Strong performance (acceleration a little light), and fabulous in the snow. Great car when things are working. Some reliability issues. Car got stuck in tiptronic day 1. Received flats on 3 of 4 pirelli tires that came with. Antenna had to be fixed, wipers got stuck vertical on windshield, had to replace brakes, fix broken wiper fluid tube, and engine steamed up once. I have never felt that the car would stop running on me, but things always need to be fixed.

Beware! Buy an Audi at your own risk!
By jtkoomd1 on 08/31/09 02:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As I drove off the lot, the Xenon headlight leveling sensor warning light went on. I had to leave it overnight the first night I owned it! This was a problem that had to be fixed three times in the first year I owned it. My remote trunk release works only sporadically and I've had to fix it three times so far...this number would be higher if I hadn't given up on fixing this problem. I've had problems with the power window switches, power mirrors, and the memory power seats. At 3 years, the rubberized trim around the cabin began to flake off. Though no major engine disasters (so far), I've had many other problems requiring time in the shop!

2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L
By monsterrider on 08/25/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since new and now have 125,000 miles on it. Fuel pump was replaced under recall and everything else has been just routine service. No problems whatsoever. Gas mileage averages about 25 - 26 on the highway. Quattro is great in all weather conditions. Comfortable interior, excellent stereo, Xenon headlamps make night driving easy. This has been an excellent car.

Awesome Car!
By Cam on 08/10/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 has 170,000 miles and is still running beautifully. It is fun to drive, comfortable, and not half bad looking either. Has run flawless its whole life (It has been maintained exactly when suggested by Audi). Will replace the timing belt again soon, though the manual says every 100 or 105k from what I have read it should be replaced every 60- 80k as that is when it is said to break. Build quality is in a whole different class, the car is amazingly sound and solid. Manual shifts smooth and precise. Gas mileage is anywhere from 23-24 city to 30-31 hwy. Quattro is awesome too!!!

Save your money for repairs
By utahsnowrider on 07/30/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for 5 years and purchased it new. I love the handling, performance,and smooth,quiet ride. It handles well in the snow. As soon as the vehicle was off warranty and still under 50,000 miles, I had to replace the power steering pump, cracked vacuum tubes, and oxygen sensors. I calculated that it has cost me $100 per month for repairs since the warranty expired. Not exactly the fine engineering and reliability I expected when I purchased the car. I read a lot of owner reviews that are experiencing the same failures my car has. I still love to drive this car, but I won't be buying another Audi.

All Season Driving
By Michael on 06/28/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 76,000 miles, I am very happy with this car. The interior design is very ergonomic and everything is oriented to the driver. Trunk space is huge. The exterior design is simple, yet elegant. Quattro AWD makes the car suitable for any driving conditions and the car is more than capable of performing in the corners - it just stays controlled at all times. The 1.8T engine is a little under performing considering the brute weight of the vehicle, but an ECU upgrade quickly fixes that issue. What you lose in engine performance, you gain in fuel economy where I get an average in the low 30's on the highway - approximately 27 mpg over all. Original and stock clutch is still going strong.