Used 2003 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 Wagon

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

106K miles and no problems yet
By abrammicah

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My A4 wagon has been the best vehicle I've owned. It's comfortable, get's great gas mileage, and looks like a million bucks. I perform regular maintenance like changing the oil and brakes, timing belt at 100K, etc, and the car takes care of the rest. Only once did I have a trouble (engine stuttering) and the cost to fix the issue was $150. I bought this car used and the value for the price has been incredible. It's safe and peppy. I have no complaints.

Heated seats, turbo engine, tight suspension, responsive steering, styling, quattro all wheel drive.

I'm a tall guy, so a little more space would be nice, but it's a midsized car, so I didn't expect to have any more than I got. If you want a big car, buy a bigger car.

Reliable and fun for 180,000 miles!
By vballannie

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been driving this car 120 miles round trip to work every day along with taking the family all around town and it has been fantastic! I've done nothing but scheduled maintenance over the last eight years. And it's not your average station wagon. I scream by those monster SUVs on the high ways. The best part is driving in the snow. On a day when every car was unable to get up a steep road, only I reached the top out of about 50! My only disappointment is that I can't replace this car since the Avant no longer comes in stick. Thank god I can rely on this car for many more miles!

Fun to drive, extremely comfortable seats, lots of niceties and very reliable

Make a new A4 Avant with the manual transmission!

Too expensive to own out of warranty
By Steve Fox

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Avant 3.0 quatro is a great driver's car, but it is too expensive to own once the warranty expired. Fuel injection system, numerous ignition coils, power steering unit ($2,350), windshield wiper motor, etc. With just 65,000 miles, you have to question the benefit-value relationship of hanging on to a car with reliability problems.

Love my Avant
By parkcityxj

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Been an awesome car, bought with 77K on it and now has 113K. Still running strong, I like to wrench on the car as a hobby and have saved lots of money. I've done the timing belt as a precaution. The only repairs I've had to do is disassemble the wiper motor which had frozen, a pain to do. I've also had to fix the rear main coolant flange, a cheap part. I have had a few coil packs go on me and I carry a spare. It's two min fix if one goes. I only use Audi Synthetic Oil and Audi fluids as well. I suggest if you buy an Audi, check out one of many Audi Forums. There are DIY write ups for nearly every repair. Original clutch is still holding strong too.

I love the Avant and 5 speed, a rare combo. Absolutely is amazing in the snow. I live in UT and need good 4wd. By far the best snow vehicle I've ever driven. It's not fast but a great highway cruiser. I plan on a Ko4 Turbo when the stock one goes out. Also endless aftermarket parts too.

The cupholders stink, worst ever in a car. The blind spots are terrible too, need to get wide angle mirrors. Being 6'3" the B pillar is right next to my head, making the blind spot worse. Wouldn't mind a stiffer suspension and a few more hp. But that's easily solved w/ aftermarket products.

Great handling...poor reliability
By Oliv

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this A4 for 2 years now and I am still not sure about Audi. I really like the car handling in all conditions. The Quattro system is excellent in all conditions. However, the engine power together with the auto transmission feels short on acceleration ability. Gas mileage could be better (23 mpg overall) for a car this size. I was disappointed with the reliability of this car but even more with the ability from Audi dealerships to find the issues. They replaced the throttle assembly 3 times (!) before thinking the issue could come from somewhere else (cracked plastic cover that messed the ECM box). I also had to replace the steering rack (leak) and two noisy wheel bearings (rear).

Quattro = cat's agility in winter conditions (especially with snow tires). Interior quality Sports car handling Tiptronic transmission Audi warranty (buy a car with warranty!)

More torque with better gas mileage (why can't we have the TDI diesel engines they have in Europe?). Better brakes (they feel weak), better reliability (electronics), better training for Audi service... faster transmission (like the DSG?).