2003 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
106K miles and no problems yet
By abrammicah on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My A4 wagon has been the best vehicle I've owned. It's comfortable, get's great gas mileage, and looks like a million bucks. I perform regular maintenance like changing the oil and brakes, timing belt at 100K, etc, and the car takes care of the rest. Only once did I have a trouble (engine stuttering) and the cost to fix the issue was $150. I bought this car used and the value for the price has been incredible. It's safe and peppy. I have no complaints.

Reliable and fun for 180,000 miles!
By vballannie on 07/19/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been driving this car 120 miles round trip to work every day along with taking the family all around town and it has been fantastic! I've done nothing but scheduled maintenance over the last eight years. And it's not your average station wagon. I scream by those monster SUVs on the high ways. The best part is driving in the snow. On a day when every car was unable to get up a steep road, only I reached the top out of about 50! My only disappointment is that I can't replace this car since the Avant no longer comes in stick. Thank god I can rely on this car for many more miles!

Too expensive to own out of warranty
By Steve Fox on 12/06/09 14:44 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Avant 3.0 quatro is a great driver's car, but it is too expensive to own once the warranty expired. Fuel injection system, numerous ignition coils, power steering unit ($2,350), windshield wiper motor, etc. With just 65,000 miles, you have to question the benefit-value relationship of hanging on to a car with reliability problems.

Love my Avant
By parkcityxj on 10/26/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Been an awesome car, bought with 77K on it and now has 113K. Still running strong, I like to wrench on the car as a hobby and have saved lots of money. I've done the timing belt as a precaution. The only repairs I've had to do is disassemble the wiper motor which had frozen, a pain to do. I've also had to fix the rear main coolant flange, a cheap part. I have had a few coil packs go on me and I carry a spare. It's two min fix if one goes. I only use Audi Synthetic Oil and Audi fluids as well. I suggest if you buy an Audi, check out one of many Audi Forums. There are DIY write ups for nearly every repair. Original clutch is still holding strong too.

Great handling...poor reliability
By Oliv on 02/07/09 07:30 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this A4 for 2 years now and I am still not sure about Audi. I really like the car handling in all conditions. The Quattro system is excellent in all conditions. However, the engine power together with the auto transmission feels short on acceleration ability. Gas mileage could be better (23 mpg overall) for a car this size. I was disappointed with the reliability of this car but even more with the ability from Audi dealerships to find the issues. They replaced the throttle assembly 3 times (!) before thinking the issue could come from somewhere else (cracked plastic cover that messed the ECM box). I also had to replace the steering rack (leak) and two noisy wheel bearings (rear).

Nice car, but too many problems
By Ken on 10/29/07 16:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is great when it is working. Unfortunately, it's spent too much time in the shop. It's had engine failure (engine stalled in the middle of the street), air conditioning failure, the stereo kept going mono for the first three years, all brakepads had to be replaced, back windscreen cracked, driver's power window motor failure, alarm siren failed, indicator light failed, engine oil stick broke, sunroof didn't open/close properly- the list goes on, all within the first 5 years. I can't recommend Audi to anyone.

Good engine - bad everything else
By Alex on 12/11/06 11:57 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has had so many electrical problems I can't even remember all of them. Parking lights each went out one at a time requiring separate visit to dealership for each one. Bad design caused moisture to corrode the contacts. Sunroof was opening on its own and dealer finally found problem after 2 years. Headlight alignment warning light came on, was fixed and now is coming on again after out of warranty. Stereo speakers are shorted out and intermittent. Also, back window just fell out one day. Engine is good but even it had sludge issue and took three days to repair. Hood latch gets jammed and won't open. Cupholder problems - not big enough and won't even pop out of back seat armrest.

Great AWD Car
By Jeff on 10/20/06 14:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The only real car to get if you want a sporty AWD car that hauls like an SUV but gets 25 mpg. I love the looks and build quality of the A4 Avant. I literally can not think of another car that I would pick right now to replace it. Get the Bose, it's awesome, save your money on the Nav, it's just okay.

Not worth the electrical problems
By Ken Kasten on 08/15/06 14:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first Avant overheated 3 times in the first two weeks due to a fan control module issue. After 2 1/2 months in repair the computer module was replaced and the heat only worked at 100 plus degrees. At my request, Audi replaced the car and charged me $4,000 for a newer car with less equipment. The first day of the 2nd Avant had the sunroof opening by itself (new switch) and the headlights turning themselves off 3 times over the next 24 months. The computer calls this a "dipped headlight" but it translates to no headlights and another service appointment. After 1 visit to the dealer each month for 3 years, I went out and bought a Volvo V50.

best car I have ever owned
By chris on 03/03/06 10:41 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most comfortable car, and I love going on long trips, in the rain or snow.. I have had 2 back surgeries and for once I can drive in comfort. Amazing seats. A blast to drive and at 40k not a single problem. Great service free oil changes etc by dealor were always a positive experience. Would definitly buy Audi again, but I dont want to part with this car. !!

1 2 3 4 5 next »