Used 2003 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Most Helpful|
Never went one day without problems
By nlambert182

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2003 A4 with 95k miles on it. It had already had the timing belt replaced. The dipstick tube cracked and broke off when I attempted to check the oil. The coolant flange on the back of the engine poured coolant constantly, and the turbo leaked oil. Even after replacing the coil packs, fuel filter, and spark plugs the engine still had a rough idle. Ended up replacing every plastic check valve under the hood to no avail. Found that the crankcase vent tube cracked and broke off causing a vacuum leak. Went to get in the car one morning after rain, and the floor was 2 inches deep in water. Took forever to fix that issue. Too many issues to list. These things are LEMONS.

Favorite Features

Styling Neat features

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Use higher quality plastic under the hood (heat resistant), better quality plastic in the interior (paint peeled), and use real leather instead of the pleather that comes in them.

Excellence
By Andrew

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is amazing, the 5 speed is gear limited at 138 MPH, but it gets there fast with the 1.8T engine. Definitely worthy of a test drive, that's all it takes. One good pull away from a red light and you're hooked. If you're in it for luxury, you are by no means left out, this car has more features than any of the new lincolns, cadillacs, or beemers I have sat in. If you're in it for economy, I'm seeing an average of 26MPG mixed city and highway (about 60/40% respectively), so it's not too shabby.

Great Looking, But ...
By IrvThal

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I purchased a 1998 Audi 1.8 T and almost immediately had problems when the passenger side seat fell off its tracks and the cruise control didn't work. While the problems were resolved, about four years after my ownership bega, I started having serious problems with the car. Last year, less than five years after purchase, I put $3,000 into repairs. Audis may look great -- but be VERY careful of their reliability and upkeep!

Favorite Features

The car looks great, has a fantastic dash setup and handles beautifully. It can also be jerky when switching gears (in automatic) and I had SERIOUS fishtailing problems that were caused by a faulty axle.

Suggested Improvements

Audi dealerships need some serious quality control. I've experienced good ones -- and unscrupulous ones that want only to bilk you for as much repair money as they can. Be on guard!

Sooo fun to drive, when it's not broken
By paul

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car new over 7 years ago now. Should've known after 2 weeks when my AC compressor blew up that this was going to be a love/hate relationship. I've had it in the shop for: AC compressor, AC condenser, engine speed sensor, engine temp sensor, power steering pump, power steering rack, brake light switch, instrument panel malfunction, rear window regulator, and of course the common coil packs. And just now, the AC compressor blew AGAIN. And this is only off the top of my head. It's a shame because i LOVE driving the car, it handles like a dream, is great in the snow, but it's just NOT reliable.

Favorite Features

handling, interior design (except for the cup holders and heating element), snow performance

Suggested Improvements

interior: better cup holder locations and find another place for the heating element. Right under the steering column is pretty stupid. In the summer with the AC off, you get nice radiant heat coming up from the steering column. Oh, and just flat out, make it more reliable.

Oil leak Problem
By samnim

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As much fun to drive this car as, as much as the oil leakage does hurt your budget, so far I did spend close to 6000$ on this car in repairs, and yet the issue of oil leak was not fixed. and I was last called by the dealer to tell me, it needs an engine rebuild and this will cost me another 3000-4000 $ and they are not sure if it will solve the massive loss of oil ( more than a quarter of oil every 900 miles )

Favorite Features

Stability while driving, AWD, it gives you confidence, solid on the ground

Suggested Improvements

Please work on this engine oil leak problem, as I find it major and problematic