2003 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Never went one day without problems
By nlambert182 on 02/05/14 08:55 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2003 A4 with 95k miles on it. It had already had the timing belt replaced. The dipstick tube cracked and broke off when I attempted to check the oil. The coolant flange on the back of the engine poured coolant constantly, and the turbo leaked oil. Even after replacing the coil packs, fuel filter, and spark plugs the engine still had a rough idle. Ended up replacing every plastic check valve under the hood to no avail. Found that the crankcase vent tube cracked and broke off causing a vacuum leak. Went to get in the car one morning after rain, and the floor was 2 inches deep in water. Took forever to fix that issue. Too many issues to list. These things are LEMONS.

Oil leak Problem
By samnim on 02/01/12 10:57 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As much fun to drive this car as, as much as the oil leakage does hurt your budget, so far I did spend close to 6000$ on this car in repairs, and yet the issue of oil leak was not fixed. and I was last called by the dealer to tell me, it needs an engine rebuild and this will cost me another 3000-4000 $ and they are not sure if it will solve the massive loss of oil ( more than a quarter of oil every 900 miles )

Still happy after 10 months
By bjblackmamba1 on 10/27/11 16:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased in MI with 110k miles after my 14 yr old Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't worth fixing anymore. With regards to comfort and luxury, this was certainly a step up, growing up with only Japanese cars. Build quality, heaviness of German engineering is evident, but not without flaws. I had to put some money into the car considering its age. Maintenance/Repair: Timing belt-$800, rear coolant flange-$200, rear window regulator-$360, battery-$190. Otherwise, it's a great car. Very comfortable, nice features, and a great drive. After an APR tune on the ECU, it has 235hp vs 170hp previously, which makes it fun and adequately powerful. It hasn't had a huge effect on mileage, except for a heavy foot

Sooo fun to drive, when it's not broken
By paul on 08/04/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car new over 7 years ago now. Should've known after 2 weeks when my AC compressor blew up that this was going to be a love/hate relationship. I've had it in the shop for: AC compressor, AC condenser, engine speed sensor, engine temp sensor, power steering pump, power steering rack, brake light switch, instrument panel malfunction, rear window regulator, and of course the common coil packs. And just now, the AC compressor blew AGAIN. And this is only off the top of my head. It's a shame because i LOVE driving the car, it handles like a dream, is great in the snow, but it's just NOT reliable.

Love my car, But
By John on 07/26/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this Audi A4 about 18 months ago, and i have loved it! It's a blast to drive, super comfortable, and amazing in snow! But all this does come with its down sides. About every month it seems like something else breaks on it, from the alarm horn, to the Ignition coils, to the gauge cluster, to the ignition read coil, to the water pump, and timing belt. These are fun cars, but they cost A LOT to maintain! Be prepared!

Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Manual
By Mike on 07/25/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since new. At 145K miles, engine gave out, with $6K repair needed to replace major engine components. Serviced regularly with oil change q 5K miles. Never driven hard, still has original clutch. However, both catalytic converters had to be replaced at 82K and 110k miles. Multiple parts inside needed replacing as well. When Audi USA was contacted over the engine problem, they blew me off (which I would understand if this engine defect were unique to my car, but it isn't!) I would highly recommend that anyone buying A4s with 1.8 or 3 L engines carefully read other similar events on the internet before buying a used Audi. Don't make a big mistake.

Money Burner
By kroberts on 01/20/10 11:03 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you are getting a warranty than it's a nice car, but without a warranty you may be getting into something you can not afford in the long run. My car has the infamous sludge build up and my engine is now seized. Either pay 6,000 to replace it or get into an upside down loan for another 5 years.With that being said minus the sludge and the bad engine I did have some good time in this car.

Pretty, but not worth it
By audinomore on 11/29/09 21:19 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 50,000 miles. I loved it for the first couple of months, until things started going wrong. I had to replace all the ignition coils, fuel pump, check valves, broken moonroof, broken window regulator, broken cupholder. Oh yea, and just a few months ago there was a fire, cost over $5000 worth of damage under the hood, thank goodness insurance covered it. They said either an ignition coil or the wiring harness had a malfunction. When my coolant tank cracked and wouldn't hold coolant, I decided it was time to trade it in. I loved the car, but I cant afford to keep fixing it and I don't want to be worried all the time about something breaking or catching on fire.

Another Lemon Review
By red on 11/01/09 04:58 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This car is a total lemon. Had to replace the motor and turbo (Audi eventually paid for it after a threatened law suit), electrical system, CVT, multiple headlights and break lights while being told this can be due to "normal" wear and tear. Check engine light is now on for the third time (motor is only one year old) and I have spent $1500 thus far and the problem still isn't resolved. They also replaced my front tires twice before they figured out I had unusual wear because of a front end alignment problem.

Great car, but reliability issues
By Brian on 09/25/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car certified used with 43k miles on it. I have driven Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes. In general this is a great and solid feeling car. Outstanding interior which I like even better than the new models. Strong performance (acceleration a little light), and fabulous in the snow. Great car when things are working. Some reliability issues. Car got stuck in tiptronic day 1. Received flats on 3 of 4 pirelli tires that came with. Antenna had to be fixed, wipers got stuck vertical on windshield, had to replace brakes, fix broken wiper fluid tube, and engine steamed up once. I have never felt that the car would stop running on me, but things always need to be fixed.