Used 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Never went one day without problems
By nlambert182

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2003 A4 with 95k miles on it. It had already had the timing belt replaced. The dipstick tube cracked and broke off when I attempted to check the oil. The coolant flange on the back of the engine poured coolant constantly, and the turbo leaked oil. Even after replacing the coil packs, fuel filter, and spark plugs the engine still had a rough idle. Ended up replacing every plastic check valve under the hood to no avail. Found that the crankcase vent tube cracked and broke off causing a vacuum leak. Went to get in the car one morning after rain, and the floor was 2 inches deep in water. Took forever to fix that issue. Too many issues to list. These things are LEMONS.

Favorite Features

Styling Neat features

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Use higher quality plastic under the hood (heat resistant), better quality plastic in the interior (paint peeled), and use real leather instead of the pleather that comes in them.

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Favorite Features

Only the looks. It looks tough, meanest ride on the street. At least it looks that way. My daughter has lost faith in anything I have to say about cars now.

Suggested Improvements

How about lowering the costs for replacement parts. Better yet, how about using some quality parts. And quality does NOT = expense!!! This is a poor representation of the reliable German Werks!!! This car is a Piece of WORK, not worth the paint!!! Never will buy another Audi, recommend u don't!!

Good car with some extra cost
By Maximo

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow, I will probably buy another Audi, but I will do so more informed. The car is a thrill to drive and relatively good on the gas with out a lead foot. That said it takes premium fuel to push this wagon. Don't believe you can sub 87 octain every now and then, it will foul the spark plugs. If you are a DITYer be careful driving this car on to a hydraulic lift, the sport suspension does not allow enough clearance to prevent high centering. I bought this car used in Oct '06 for about 16.5K two years later it is at least as valuble as what I still owe.

Favorite Features

Corners like it is on rails, and the govenor electronically holds it at 137mph I would probably have killed myself in it otherwise. The in dash 6 disc cd changer puts out great sound and the whole system interfaces with the dash display. A very sophisticated car overall. Mileage 22-25 city 29- 32hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic around the door handles is starting to flake which makes the nice interior look a little ratty. Center console rubs against my leg in the driver seat(5'11" 190lbs). The ODB II codes it spits out are a little cryptic compared to other models making it difficult to diagnosis a problem.

Love/Hate Hate
By Spin90

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is truly a driverís car, both interior and exterior finish had a classy sturdy feel. Economy and performance were great, 25/city and highway up to 33 long range trips. Now for the nightmare, the list that went wrong was excessive, items that normally should have no problems for 10 years/100,000 miles started to fail within two week of ownership. Although the warranty/dealer took care of everything while in warranty, afterwards it got out of control. Audi could care less other than to close my filed complaints as soon as possible. Own it get rid of it after warranty, shelf life is short.

Favorite Features

Engine-performance and economy, great nimble feel, Stick a dream to shift with a feather touch feel, and a look of substance in a small package.

Suggested Improvements

Spend some money on quality control, this may lead to repeat customers.

Run Far, Far, Far Away
By JT

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's a great car when everything is working. Unfortunately, that is rare. Problems I've encountered in the approximately 35K miles I've owned the car: rear driver side power window fail - $400 rear pass. side power window fail - $400 (I live in mortal fear of operating the power windows now - I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the front ones go) CV joint - $1200 bottomed out and punched a hole in oil pan (ok partly my fault) $800 check engine light - faulty "crankshaft assistor" $1250 bulbs are difficult to replace. Do not buy this car if not under warranty. You will regret it every day you own it

Favorite Features

It looks good. Quiet interior. Dashboard design

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a 100K mile warranty because anything less will leave you vulnerable to very expensive repair bills