2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Never went one day without problems
By nlambert182 on 02/05/14 08:55 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2003 A4 with 95k miles on it. It had already had the timing belt replaced. The dipstick tube cracked and broke off when I attempted to check the oil. The coolant flange on the back of the engine poured coolant constantly, and the turbo leaked oil. Even after replacing the coil packs, fuel filter, and spark plugs the engine still had a rough idle. Ended up replacing every plastic check valve under the hood to no avail. Found that the crankcase vent tube cracked and broke off causing a vacuum leak. Went to get in the car one morning after rain, and the floor was 2 inches deep in water. Took forever to fix that issue. Too many issues to list. These things are LEMONS.

Bitter Sweet
By audifan16 on 01/28/14 12:46 PM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I came across a "too good to be true" deal on a 2003 1.8t Convertible which I roughly invested $2500 into. First thing that went bad was the Ignition coil. ($1,200 repair for 2 coils) which now I know will cost under $200 to replace all 4 (Thanks to YouTube and AutoZone.) Second thing gone bad was the drivers side CV Joint ($500 inluding towing and went bad again because I bought a cheap replacement) Now with my 3 month visit to the pothole capital, NYC, Ive replaced ALL front control arms which were already bad and Drivers Side CV Joint ($491 on ECS Tuning and $500 Labor at Lennys Auto Service in Brighton beach and I AM SO SO HAPPY with the results. This car is a dream to drive and a keeper

Oil leak Problem
By samnim on 02/01/12 10:57 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As much fun to drive this car as, as much as the oil leakage does hurt your budget, so far I did spend close to 6000$ on this car in repairs, and yet the issue of oil leak was not fixed. and I was last called by the dealer to tell me, it needs an engine rebuild and this will cost me another 3000-4000 $ and they are not sure if it will solve the massive loss of oil ( more than a quarter of oil every 900 miles )

Still happy after 10 months
By bjblackmamba1 on 10/27/11 16:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased in MI with 110k miles after my 14 yr old Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't worth fixing anymore. With regards to comfort and luxury, this was certainly a step up, growing up with only Japanese cars. Build quality, heaviness of German engineering is evident, but not without flaws. I had to put some money into the car considering its age. Maintenance/Repair: Timing belt-$800, rear coolant flange-$200, rear window regulator-$360, battery-$190. Otherwise, it's a great car. Very comfortable, nice features, and a great drive. After an APR tune on the ECU, it has 235hp vs 170hp previously, which makes it fun and adequately powerful. It hasn't had a huge effect on mileage, except for a heavy foot

106K miles and no problems yet
By abrammicah on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My A4 wagon has been the best vehicle I've owned. It's comfortable, get's great gas mileage, and looks like a million bucks. I perform regular maintenance like changing the oil and brakes, timing belt at 100K, etc, and the car takes care of the rest. Only once did I have a trouble (engine stuttering) and the cost to fix the issue was $150. I bought this car used and the value for the price has been incredible. It's safe and peppy. I have no complaints.

Sooo fun to drive, when it's not broken
By paul on 08/04/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car new over 7 years ago now. Should've known after 2 weeks when my AC compressor blew up that this was going to be a love/hate relationship. I've had it in the shop for: AC compressor, AC condenser, engine speed sensor, engine temp sensor, power steering pump, power steering rack, brake light switch, instrument panel malfunction, rear window regulator, and of course the common coil packs. And just now, the AC compressor blew AGAIN. And this is only off the top of my head. It's a shame because i LOVE driving the car, it handles like a dream, is great in the snow, but it's just NOT reliable.

Love my car, But
By John on 07/26/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this Audi A4 about 18 months ago, and i have loved it! It's a blast to drive, super comfortable, and amazing in snow! But all this does come with its down sides. About every month it seems like something else breaks on it, from the alarm horn, to the Ignition coils, to the gauge cluster, to the ignition read coil, to the water pump, and timing belt. These are fun cars, but they cost A LOT to maintain! Be prepared!

Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Manual
By Mike on 07/25/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since new. At 145K miles, engine gave out, with $6K repair needed to replace major engine components. Serviced regularly with oil change q 5K miles. Never driven hard, still has original clutch. However, both catalytic converters had to be replaced at 82K and 110k miles. Multiple parts inside needed replacing as well. When Audi USA was contacted over the engine problem, they blew me off (which I would understand if this engine defect were unique to my car, but it isn't!) I would highly recommend that anyone buying A4s with 1.8 or 3 L engines carefully read other similar events on the internet before buying a used Audi. Don't make a big mistake.

Reliable and fun for 180,000 miles!
By vballannie on 07/19/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been driving this car 120 miles round trip to work every day along with taking the family all around town and it has been fantastic! I've done nothing but scheduled maintenance over the last eight years. And it's not your average station wagon. I scream by those monster SUVs on the high ways. The best part is driving in the snow. On a day when every car was unable to get up a steep road, only I reached the top out of about 50! My only disappointment is that I can't replace this car since the Avant no longer comes in stick. Thank god I can rely on this car for many more miles!

Money Burner
By kroberts on 01/20/10 11:03 AM (PST)

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you are getting a warranty than it's a nice car, but without a warranty you may be getting into something you can not afford in the long run. My car has the infamous sludge build up and my engine is now seized. Either pay 6,000 to replace it or get into an upside down loan for another 5 years.With that being said minus the sludge and the bad engine I did have some good time in this car.