Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Never went one day without problems
By nlambert182

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2003 A4 with 95k miles on it. It had already had the timing belt replaced. The dipstick tube cracked and broke off when I attempted to check the oil. The coolant flange on the back of the engine poured coolant constantly, and the turbo leaked oil. Even after replacing the coil packs, fuel filter, and spark plugs the engine still had a rough idle. Ended up replacing every plastic check valve under the hood to no avail. Found that the crankcase vent tube cracked and broke off causing a vacuum leak. Went to get in the car one morning after rain, and the floor was 2 inches deep in water. Took forever to fix that issue. Too many issues to list. These things are LEMONS.

Styling Neat features

Everything. Use higher quality plastic under the hood (heat resistant), better quality plastic in the interior (paint peeled), and use real leather instead of the pleather that comes in them.

Bitter Sweet
By audifan16

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I came across a "too good to be true" deal on a 2003 1.8t Convertible which I roughly invested $2500 into. First thing that went bad was the Ignition coil. ($1,200 repair for 2 coils) which now I know will cost under $200 to replace all 4 (Thanks to YouTube and AutoZone.) Second thing gone bad was the drivers side CV Joint ($500 inluding towing and went bad again because I bought a cheap replacement) Now with my 3 month visit to the pothole capital, NYC, Ive replaced ALL front control arms which were already bad and Drivers Side CV Joint ($491 on ECS Tuning and $500 Labor at Lennys Auto Service in Brighton beach and I AM SO SO HAPPY with the results. This car is a dream to drive and a keeper

I love the: -Convertible Top -Panty Dropping Styling -Handling -Body Kit Options -Interior -Fit and Finish ETC. Overall, this car has WAY more pros than cons. This car is VERY safe and love the onboard computers. Saved my ass big time in snowey/Icey road conditions. BUT (and its a BIG BUT) If you cant afford to maintain it when needed, Buy a boring all too common, typical, run of the mill american or Japanese car. German cars are built for those who love luxury sports cars with superb handling and able to separate themselves from the masses. I LOVE MY AUDI.

Bushing Quality MUST be improved. Plastics in the interior need to be of higher quality.

Oil leak Problem
By samnim

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As much fun to drive this car as, as much as the oil leakage does hurt your budget, so far I did spend close to 6000$ on this car in repairs, and yet the issue of oil leak was not fixed. and I was last called by the dealer to tell me, it needs an engine rebuild and this will cost me another 3000-4000 $ and they are not sure if it will solve the massive loss of oil ( more than a quarter of oil every 900 miles )

Stability while driving, AWD, it gives you confidence, solid on the ground

Please work on this engine oil leak problem, as I find it major and problematic

Still happy after 10 months
By bjblackmamba1

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased in MI with 110k miles after my 14 yr old Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't worth fixing anymore. With regards to comfort and luxury, this was certainly a step up, growing up with only Japanese cars. Build quality, heaviness of German engineering is evident, but not without flaws. I had to put some money into the car considering its age. Maintenance/Repair: Timing belt-$800, rear coolant flange-$200, rear window regulator-$360, battery-$190. Otherwise, it's a great car. Very comfortable, nice features, and a great drive. After an APR tune on the ECU, it has 235hp vs 170hp previously, which makes it fun and adequately powerful. It hasn't had a huge effect on mileage, except for a heavy foot

The clutch isn't too soft or too hard, which is nice. Test-driving a new Mazdaspeed 3, I was disappointed at its very light clutch. The A4 clutch is just right. Other great features include the heated seats (must for cold MI winters), nice leather, luxury interior/exterior and enormous trunk. Handling is great with Audi's respected Quattro system.

The non-Bose stereo (Audi Symphony II) is not the greatest or a very powerful unit. Premium fuel required for the turbo (esp w/ APR tune), but worth the cost vs lesser cars. Even with a heavy foot and 95% city driving, I get 19-20 mpg. Despite being in the shop for the few maintenance items my first 3 mos of owning the A4, it has been trouble-free thus far. Take care of the car and it will take care of you. If considering, be sure to have checked for oil sludge (if oil changes were infrequent or did not use full synthetic), as this was an issue among this line, though thankfully not mine.

106K miles and no problems yet
By abrammicah

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My A4 wagon has been the best vehicle I've owned. It's comfortable, get's great gas mileage, and looks like a million bucks. I perform regular maintenance like changing the oil and brakes, timing belt at 100K, etc, and the car takes care of the rest. Only once did I have a trouble (engine stuttering) and the cost to fix the issue was $150. I bought this car used and the value for the price has been incredible. It's safe and peppy. I have no complaints.

Heated seats, turbo engine, tight suspension, responsive steering, styling, quattro all wheel drive.

I'm a tall guy, so a little more space would be nice, but it's a midsized car, so I didn't expect to have any more than I got. If you want a big car, buy a bigger car.